A little help with my thumbs data...

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by stevencarpenter, Mar 28, 2011.

1. stevencarpenter

stevencarpenter New Member

Sep 4, 2003
    Hello All,

I'd appreciate a little insight from those more experienced here. After trawling through the vast number of posts on this forum looking for "thumbs backup" or some other boolean expression this has thus far not delivered any kind of meaningful information I hoped it might have..

To summarise what i believe to be the situation (after a lot of reading),
    1, It is possible to backup thumbs data using MFStools
    2, There was some work done on managing thumbs in S2 boxes in the US but this was dropped from S3 onwards (of no use for S1 - but an intriguing read)
    3, It is not as yet been possible to interrogate the thumbs data to extract it in meaningful way to re-use it.

I have already backed-up my season passes from the S1 TiVo which now live (reasonably well i might add) as smart guides on my alternative solution, however I was hopjng to be able to use the 11 years of thumbs data to create further smart guides, although it seems this may not be achievable.

If anyone can correct what is posted above and point me to something I missed that would be very much appreciated and useful. :D

Many Thanks.

2. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Backing up / getting thumbs data out of tivo is easy enough,
    but putting it back onto tivo never worked properly.

It was in older versions of the tivoweb backup module.

3. stevencarpenter

Sep 4, 2003
    Hello Mike,

Thank you for the recommendation, sadly I checked up the version history of the TiVoWeb backup module (http://www.boygenius.co.uk/Tivo/BackupModuleVersionHistory.aspx) but this does not mention support for backing up thumbs data, nor that such support was removed from the file.

Could you enlighten me a little more please?

4. mikerr

mikerr TiVoCentral.co.uk

Jun 2, 2005
    Lancashire, UK
    Some searching found it wasn't the tivoweb module, but the original backup script that the tivoweb module used as a starting point:
    ..that's from 2003 though!
    http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=98723

5. stevencarpenter

Sep 4, 2003
    Hello Mike,

Many Thanks. :)

I also emailed the the script owner, Andrew and got back some useful information from him (Many Thanks to him by the way too).

And...

And...

I'm not a DBA and hoped getting Thumbs data was going to be a little easier, but it seems not.

Thank you for all the help anyway.