A list of what rebooting fixes.

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by JimSpence, Jan 14, 2006.

1. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    This morning I woke up to my T60 saying that all channels are unavailable.
    I checked signal strength. All were good. So I rebooted it. Everything is back.

I checked the Recording History and discovered that shows to record at 10pm and later didn't because of Internal Error 4. This is only the second or third time this has happened with this unit in almost 5 years.

So this prompted me to start this thread about the small annoyances that can be fixed with a reboot.

I'll mention one more and then let others chime in.

- The recording light is still on even though it isn't recording. The show is in the NPL with a red ball.

2. Dr_Death

Dr_Death New Member

Nov 25, 2002
    I had this same problem this week with my HD Tivo. Rebooting did indeed fix the problem.

3. Want1394

Want1394 New Member

Oct 4, 2001
    Silicon Valley
    Jim, a list of what rebooting fixes is very long and not very deterministic. The easy answer is that it fixes anything in the software that is in a confused state - pointers, settings, etc.

More complex is the case of hardware registers and their state. Then you need to look at the reboot mechanism - a powerplug restart does more than one from the internal screen because it powercycles the hardware as well as reloads/restarts the software.

The TiVo software does allow itself to become confused, and doesn't try to recover. The most annoying case of this is loosing the pointer to the guide data. It never recovers this - only a restart and reload of the data gets things back again. Loosing locals is similar.

I guess what I'm saying is that almost all annoyances are fixed with a reboot, and usually a powercycle type is preferrable. That said, my experience is they are needed only occasionly - maybe 3-6 months on average.

Not exactly what you are suggesting is needed, but just my experience of six years with this software.

4. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    This was more or less an attempt of a concise list so that newbies can do a search.

Fat chance on that really! :D

5. Edmund

Edmund Remote Czar TCF Club

Nov 8, 2002
    Des Moines. IA
    Yesterday my T60 had all channels unavailable, a reboot fixed it. Didn't miss any recordings. All it records nowadays is Jeopardy and lotto.:)