A lifetime tivo and an extended warranty

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by buscuitboy, Feb 4, 2012.

1. buscuitboy

buscuitboy Member

Aug 8, 2005
    Atlanta area
    I'm looking to probably get a Premiere TiVo from my local Best Buy. Also would get it with a lifetime subscription.

I'm sure Best Buy will try to sell me the extended warranty & I most likely won't take it (like I usually don't), but it got me to thinking about how that would work on a TiVo with a lifetime subscription.

If the unit fails or needs to be repaired somehow, doesn't Best Buy usually just give you a replacement with their extended warranties? Maybe not and they will attempt to fix it any way they can. Although, I'm thinking most repairs (hard drive, power supply, etc.) might cost more than the unit costs ($99). Therefore, its more cost effective for Best Buy to just give you a new one.

If it is determined to be more cost effective for them to replace the whole thing, how would that work with a lifetime unit? I know you can't transfer lifetimes so it seems you would really be out of luck with Best Buy. And I'm sure they wouldn't be willing to pay for a new lifetime subscription on a replacement TiVo at $400.

2. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    TiVo used to transfer lifetime on units replaced by an outside (not TiVo) warranties. You could call and ask what the current policy is. TiVo also sells an extended warranty where they will transfer the lifetime if the unit is replaced. Just be aware that TiVo's extended warranty is a use once warranty.

Links to info about TiVo Extended Warranties:
    1. 2 Year
    2. 3 Year

Good Luck

3. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Best Buys warranty is also a one time use warranty if the box is replaced. If it's repaired than the warranty is still in force. TiVo sends out a replacement unit which is why the warranty is one time use.

4. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Use once warranty ?

I thought they were parts and labor for the term of the warranty. Like right now I can still get a 2 or 3 yr warranty on my Elite because I bought an activated it a week ro so ago.

5. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    TiVo extended warranties are use once warranties. From the links I posted:

"Extended warranty plans apply to the original product and are consumed after use"​

6. TiVo_Fanatic

TiVo_Fanatic Member

May 29, 2006
    Pa
    Ok, that said... should I even bother trying to get one on my Elite ?

The S3 & S2 I have are from 2007 with nothing wrong so had I bought warranties on them the money would have been wasted.

7. atmuscarella

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    No one can answer that for you and even if we know everything about you it would still just be a guess. There is less reason to get it if you are ok with replacing hard drives yourself and did not get lifetime service. If you really don't ever want to open up your TiVo and paid for lifetime then maybe $40 makes sense for a 3 yr use once extended warranty on a $900 - $1000 product that has a hard drive.

You have up to 90 days to decide. Remember your current warranty is 0-90 days full replacement at no cost, 90-365 $49 cost to replace.

In the past after the 1 year warranty TiVo has offered $150 replacement however we have no idea if they will continue to do that as it was/is not a written policy and several people have report they will not transfer lifetime anymore when that happens.

Good Luck,

8. oregonman

oregonman Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Portland OR
    Tivo with lifetime service is the only thing I have ever bought an extended warranty for. I got it directly from Tivo. I did it because the lifetime service is so expensive to replace if the box fails. Unlike electronics, it does not rapidly lose its value.

One nice thing is that if the box is replaced under the extended warranty, you have the option to purchase another extended warranty on the replacement box, so you can continue to protect the lifetime service. Which to me makes sense because I think the refurbished unit is more likely to fail. Another good thing is that the warranty is transferable, so it may help the resale value if you sell.

9. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    Why is the refurbished unit more likely to fail? With most electronics I've used, I would rather get a refurbished unit since it has typically gone through more thorough testing than a new unit has.