A good deal? Philips HDR612BK's for sale

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by jmace57, Feb 13, 2009.

1. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX

Advertisements

There is an outfit I have done business with before - www.surpluscomputers.com and they have some Series 1 TiVo's for sale for cheap prices - never seen them for sale here.

$25 for a 60 hour http://www.surpluscomputers.com/348535/philips-hdr612bk-60gb-tivo-dvr.html

$30 for an 80 hour http://www.surpluscomputers.com/348536/philips-hdr612bk-80gb-tivo-dvr.html

$35 for a 120 hour http://www.surpluscomputers.com/348537/philips-hdr612bk-120gb-tivo-dvr.html

Philips HDR612BK's - I find it impossible to believe, but it shows the condition as "new" (I think it is a really old listing copied and pasted, but not sure - says it has a 90 day warranty).

I was thinking for parts machines for those of you with Series 1's.

Jim

UPDATE - 120 gig versions are sold out.

UPDATE2 - All back in stock, but priceof 80 gig increased $5 and 120 gig by $10

2. lafos

lafos Well-Known Member

Nov 7, 2004
    Sioux Falls, SD
    I just took a look and all three models are listed as refurbished now. No bad prices for parts.

3. maartsen

maartsen New Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I ordered the 120 hr day before yesterday, and they are now no longer listed :(. At least I know mine is in UPS...

4. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    I received mine today. I would swear it is new...not a single scuff or scratch on it. Mine has a status of 1: New...at least one person (from the Fatwallet forum said theirs arrived with 5: Lifetime).

All are sold out now.

Jim

5. tpsmak

tpsmak New Member

Feb 8, 2009

Advertisements

I just saw they are available again... they have 120GB, 20GB, and 40GB. I'm going to pick a few up for parts!

6. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    My 60 gig one I bought showed up with a 20 gig...21 hours recording time at basic. Doesn't matter soo much as I was going to replace the drive anyway...
    Jim

7. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    Follow up - apparently they did the same image for all of these...I ordered a 60 and it says 21 hours...someone else got a 120 - says the same thing - they opened it up and indeed there was a 120 gig drive in it.

Jim

8. Prestond

Prestond Member

Feb 4, 2008
    I saw these, but am curious they advertise that you dont need Tivo subscription? I am not sure how that would work... here is their quote:

"These units can be used as a digital VCR WITHOUT A SUBCRIPTION TO TIVO!"

Here is the link

So these are essentially Tivo 1's? I have analog cable in spare room and thinking about getting one so they should still work for that. Now surplus computers are showing these as being Philips CES11963, but I couldnt find much on this model.

Anyone having any experience with these models? What should be my expectations for simple analog recording off analog cable?

9. urwathrtz

urwathrtz Death Metal Dad

Jan 18, 2008
    Upstate, NY
    Do they work OK? I'd love to get one for the bedroom. Nothing else going on there any way.:(

10. MichaelK

MichaelK Active Member

Jan 10, 2002
    NJ

if i recalls- very old boxes of a certain vintage will permit MANUAL recordings without the tivo service. You would need to set up all the recordings like a vcr- channel X, start at Y, record for Z minutes.

11. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
    Apparently they don't know that they have to expand the image to fit the larger hard drives. At least it can be pulled out and expanded after the fact so that you can use the whole drive. Even if I were replacing the drive with a larger one, I'd expand this one as long as I already had my pc set up for it.

12. jmace57

jmace57 Large Member

Nov 30, 2002
    San Marcos, TX
    Exactly my plan amigo!

Jim

13. Prestond

Prestond Member

Feb 4, 2008
    When I get mine I am going to open her up and check the hard drive size...if it is larger capacity drive with smaller image, what is the easiest way to increase the image size to make full use of the hard drive?

14. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Use mfsadd on the MFStools disc.

15. sanderskm

sanderskm New Member

Mar 3, 2009

How do you do that? I imagine you have remove the tivo hard drive and install it in a PC and run the aforementioned utility? Does the MFStools disc run in Windows XP or is it a boot disc? And where do you get the MFStools disc?

16. scandia101

scandia101 Just the facts ma'am

Oct 20, 2007
    MN, greater...
  17. Prestond

Prestond Member

Feb 4, 2008
    Well I got the Philips S1 and for refurbished you cannot tell. Its like brand new not a scratch on it.

I connected the phone line, Brighthouse cable and video and power and booted it up, then tried to watch Live Tv. All the channels were locked with Parental Control password locked. I was never presented with a password entry window or anything like that during bootup so sat perplexed. I just then tried "12345" and pressed enter. That worked surprisingly.

I then allowed the Tivo to make the call as the time was off. It downloaded the Brighthouse channel lineup and after a restart of the Tivo box when download was complete the time straightened itself out with all the channels listed for my area with Brighthouse.

The performance is exactly the same as my other sub'd TivoHD but of course no Guide data and I will have to schedule any recording using Date, Time and Duration with manual settings. It does display the channel id (ex. SciFi, LMN TLC, etc) but no program information as the box is unsub'd.

If another one comes up for sale from Surplus Computers (they have one now on sale without hard drive) I will certainly think about getting another one.

Overall I am extremely happy with the functionality and overall performance of the unit.

18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    That's great, but IMHO, subscriptionless Tivo is more of a pain than other subscriptionless devices.. though for reliability's sake, that may be one reason to go with it.

e.g. my non-Tivo hard drive/DVD recorder has "VCR-like" programming, but I can enable and disable individual slots, give manual names to the programming slots, and a bunch of other things.. Everything on a Tivo will show up as "manual recording 10pm" IIRC. (The one repeating manual recording I have currently on my Tivo is for a section of World News Now in the middle of the night... and it gets the name from the guide data since that's there..)

Also, of course, the analog channels will _eventually_ go away, even for cable subscribers. I know you can redo guided setup, but I don't know if you can control a box subscriptionless.

19. classicsat

classicsat Astute User

Feb 18, 2004
    Ontario Canada.
    Yes you can control a box without subscription. As said in other places, OTA isn't officially or fully there, but there are tricks to have at least primary (.1) channels.

20. Prestond

Prestond Member

Feb 4, 2008
    For Brighthouse I cant see them totally turning off their analog cable anytime real soon as it would affect so many customers with analog tuners. That is one of their advertisements by the way to go to Brighthouse and still use your analog tv. Now at some point in the future I can see these old analog sets dying through attrition and eventually it will be not cost effective...but I think we are well off from that point for a $20 investment to not pay off. As I said I use this in the bedroom, so it is fine for casual tv viewing, in the family room on the hdtv I enjoy my TivoHD