A Gifted Man - In Case of All Hell Breaking Loose 9/30/11

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by ElJay, Oct 1, 2011.

1. ElJay

ElJay Active Member

Apr 6, 2005
    Since the pilot the doc has downgraded his car from a Maserati GranTurismo to a CTS-V.

Beyond that, it felt like a rerun of the pilot:
    • The doctor gets caught up in helping clinic people.
    • Secretary lady says you can't help the people because you're busy doing other stuff.
    • An important person/friend of the doctor needs medical assistance.
    • The dead ex-wife shows up from time to time.

I can't see this formula becoming a winner.

2. Graymalkin

Graymalkin Grumpy Poster

Mar 20, 2001
    Northern...
    I'm still watching because of Jennifer Ehle (the dead ex-wife) and Margo Martindale (the secretary) and because I like medical dramas more than police dramas. :)

3. getreal

getreal postcrastinator

Sep 29, 2003
    Earth
    I'm having some trouble staying focused on the story. I originally liked the ghost angle to the story, but it's not really "believable" even after I suspend my disbelief. Know what I mean? They're losing me ... fast. The show needs 200 cc of Julie Benz -- STAT!

I recall a great series featuring a ghost partner in a British detective "BritCom" (1969 - 71): Randall & Hopkirk (Deceased). I was a little kid, but it appealed to me then. Apparently there was a remake in 2000, so now I am compelled to look for it.

4. dthmj

dthmj Hinky TCF Club

Mar 12, 2002
    Texas
    I said to Hubby as the pregnant woman was getting out of the car with a nose bleed.. "If he delivers that baby, I'm never watching this show again". And he delivered the baby.

I want to like this show, but they do stupid stuff like that. Just give me a realistic medical drama in which one doctor doesn't do everything and saves the day.

5. stellie93

stellie93 Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2006
    I like him and the dead wife so I was trying to watch. Then about 5 minutes into ep 2 I got fed up with the idea that a brilliant surgeon should feel guilty about making money and should disrupt his busy schedule of saving lives to randomly save people who are much less sick than his other patients. Do some pro bono work, give money to a free clinic, whatever, but take care of your regular patients. I'm out.

6. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Yes, I know what you mean and I agree. I liked the concept for fun, but I find the writing, the acting, the story line all pretty pathetic and unbelievable. The medical procedures are a laugh. The whole concept doesn't work for me.

Having said that, I've kept the SP because it has been so wonderfully soporific, that I can fall asleep faster than usual. (I know--I time it on my fitbit)

7. TIVO_GUY_HERE

TIVO_GUY_HERE I miss the ocean

Jul 10, 2000
    Dallas Texas
    Just started watching this show, not bad. Why doesn't he just wear a bluetooth in his ear, so whenever someone catches him talking to no one( seems like every episode) he can just right it off that he is on the phone?