A few RF Remote questions...

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by MPSAN, Mar 11, 2015.

1. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...

Advertisements

Sorry to ask (I did search), but TIVO sales and support could not answer! We have a 4 tuner Premiere in the bedroom and need an RF remote so it will also work from our treadmill. If I got the Tivo Slide Pro Remote and the supplied dongle (if I specify it is for the Premiere), will it also control the TV Vol and Mute, etc via IR? What model would this be? I assume that the Roamio "may" work with a dongle on the Premiere but for the $20 I may as well get the Keyboard. Does anyone know the TIVO Part Number of the Tivo Slide Pro Remote? That way I can see that I am getting what I need. The Part Number of the remote without the dongle would help as well since TIVO will send you a Dongle if you ask.

2. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The RF remote (standard Roamio or Slide Pro) will control your TV volume, mute, power and input via IR like any other TiVo remote. The Slide Pro can also learn those commands if you have a weird brand of TV or want to use them with soundbars or receivers that don't have a code.

The Slide Pro model number is C00260. The regular Roamio remote model number is C00270.

3. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Thank you. Is there a model of the slide pro that INCLUDES the Dongle or would that still be the C00260?

Tivo said that what is needed is a QWERTY2 Dongle and USB cable. I understand the dongle but what is the cable for?

4. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I don't know if there is a different model number when they include the dongle.

The cable is needed, at least on the Mini, so that the dongle can plug in. The dongle is too wide to fit in the space available on the back of the Mini. It should fit on the back of a Premiere without it, but I left the cable on the one I put on my Premiere so I could reach it. The cable is just a short USB extension.

5. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...

Advertisements

Great! I can see what TIVO will do. Also, I assume that RF and IR work at the same time so that it will control the TV via IR.

6. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Yes, it will control the TiVo via RF if it is in RF mode. It can also be set to IR mode if you want to control a TiVo that way. The TV functions are always sent as IR, no matter which mode it is in.

7. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Great...Thank you. So I guess the ONLY difference between the 2 remotes is the Keyboard? Also, I have seen some reviews that say the Slide Pro is a little fragile in that the cable to the KB breaks. Is that true?

8. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The Slide has backlit keys. And can learn on the TV functions.

There were issues with the Bluetooth Slide remote with the cable. The Slide Pro is a different model made in a different factory. I haven't heard of any ribbon cable issues with it. The Slide Pro weighs a little more than a standard remote, and is a little shorter.

9. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    OK, I may try to get it. Funny, TIVO wants $59.41 and says if you log in you can get a deal, but I do not get a deal. If you call a rep some will "help" and others say there is nothing they can do. I do see, however that Amazon has it for $44 shipped. Even TigerDirect has it for $43.99. Amazon has free shipping.

Also...FYI...the remote with the Dongle is C00261. The ones at Amazon and TigerDirect do NOT have the Dongle.

10. Megamind

Megamind I'm Feeling Blue

Feb 18, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    Mine fit into the mini with no problem without the cable.

11. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Thanks...I would be using it on a Premiere 4. Some say TIVO will just send you the Dongle package on request and others say they do not have them. I guess, as usual, it depends on the rep. I have had to call several times whenever I have bought ANYTHING from TIVO...that makes 7 TIVO's!

12. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    Do you have the old bluetooth remote or the newer RF remote? Because I have two RF dongles, and they do not fit on my Minis. I have one bluetooth dongle, and it fits fine.

13. Megamind

Feb 18, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    It's the newer RF Remote. I had wanted one for my Roamio, and ended up getting two for Xmas. However, I bought the RF Dongle from Davisadm since neither remote came with one. Maybe that's the difference.

14. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    This is what my RF dongles look like:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

15. Megamind

Feb 18, 2013
    Alpha Centauri
    Mine doesn't look any different. Still, I have it plugged into the mini without the cable and it works just fine.

16. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    I just tried again. It doesn't fit. The edge of the dongle hits the lip at the bottom of the Mini. There's no way to plug it in without bending something.

17. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    OK, getting the C00260 and will have the Dongle/USB cable next week. Hope it all works. If so, I may order a 2nd one! I hope it does not eat batteries. My Glo Remote does not.

18. Arcady

Arcady Stargate Fan

Oct 14, 2004
    Philadelphia...
    The newer remotes that use two AA batteries seem to be fine on battery life.

19. MPSAN

MPSAN Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2009
    Portland,...
    Great..If this works well in our bedroom, I may need to get one for the Family room.

20. JWhites

JWhites New Member

May 14, 2013
    Wait im confused, I thought the Roamio came with an RF remote. If you're talking about the Slide Pro, you can use that in RF mode and pair it via RF with the Roamio without the need of the dongle at all.