A few questions from a newbie Tivo HD XL

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by zubinh, Dec 14, 2011.

1. zubinh

zubinh Active Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Hello Gents,

I just dumped my Fios DVR, and bought a Tivo HD XL off of ebay. Hoping you could help me with a couple of irritating issues I'm having with the Tivo:

1. Red dot Recording indicator in the guide - Where is this feature? I think I saw the indicator in the guide once (or was I imagining things) why is it inconsistent? I know I can see if a show is recording in the now playing list or the info bar but it would be nice to see a red dot in the guide!

2. The front recording light is inconsistent - Sometimes the red light will be on while something's recording and sometimes it wont be. If I'm recording something and I put the Tivo in standby, all lights go off but I know it's still recording.

3. Software update - Are we going to see any updates to the look and feel of the guide or is Tivo just focusing on Premiere boxes now? I see they have a nice looking Search feature (albeit a slow one) in Beta test now. Will this replace the current search feature?

Many thanks for taking the time to read and respond!!

2. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    I've never seen any indication in the guide that something is being recorded.

The front lights are supposed to go off when you put the TiVo in standby.

Possible but unlikely that there will be any s/w updates to this platform.

3. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    I believe the red dot in the guide shows when something is recording NOW. It does not indicate scheduled/future recordings. TiVo does not have the same propensity to miss shows as cableco dvrs, so there is not the same need to actively manage what it is doing or going to do.

I would not expect any updates to the THD. Beta search was beta before adding to the Premiere, not to put into production for the THD.

4. Joe01880

Joe01880 I love my TiVo

Feb 8, 2009
    Boston
    No red dots, check your To Do list

Why would anyone ever want to put a TiVo on standby, defeats its purpose, leave that puppy to do its thing.

The Premiere and Elite are the new kids on the block, as they sit, in my HD anyway. It works good, it isnt broken, its clasic TiVo and i hope they dont try to fix it.

5. steve614

steve614 what ru lookin at?

May 1, 2006
    Dallas, TX
    1. The guide should indicate what is recording AS it is being recorded with a red dot.
    Future recordings are not indicated. For that, you have to check the To Do List.

2. Front panel lights are disabled when the Tivo is in Stand-by. Otherwise, recording lights should be displayed.
    (Aside) The only reason to put the Tivo in stand-by is to prevent EAS interruptions in your recordings.

3. The Series 3 platform (of which your TiVoHD XL is a part of) is not likely to see any major upgrades.
    IOW, don't get your hopes up, and consider anything added in the future to be a blessing.

6. lrhorer

lrhorer Active Member

Aug 31, 2003
    San...
    Easy and best solution: Don't use the guide. I haven't used the guide in over 11 years, other than one torturous 9 month interval when I was forced to deal with a !@%%@#^ Scientific Atlanta 8300HD. With other DVRs, one has no choice, but the TiVo has far better, faster, more efficient, and completely automatic resources. Once a year or so, I may update some of my Season Passes. Whenever a new movie is announced in theaters I would like to see, I create a wishlist, if it would not automatically be included in one of my existing ones. (Any Clint Eastwood movie, for example, will automtically be recorded, so I don't bother if it is a Clint Eastwood film.) Once every two weeks or so, I scan the list of upcoming HD movies to see if there are some I want that are not to be recorded. Other than that, the TV stays off unless I am watching a video.

If you want my advice, then relax, trust the Tivo, forget about the guide, and go play in the snow or soak in the hot tub. It's a lot more fun than slogging endlessly through the mountains of garbage in either of the guides.

I'm not expecting there will be any further upgrades for the Series III platform, although we might perhaps see a bug fix release or two eventually. I would not count on even that.

7. lpwcomp

lpwcomp Well-Known Member

May 6, 2002
    John's...
    There is an indicator (red circle) on the info screen. And if you arrow down to see what is on the other tuner, it will tell you if that is being recorded.

My suggestion would be to continue to use your TiVo in whatever manner you choose. Just don't look for a recording indicator in the guide.

8. zubinh

zubinh Active Member

Jun 7, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks guys for the tips! I thought putting the TiVo in standby would help prolong its life but guess I was wrong. Thanks again!