A few questions after spending the day with Charter...

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by alangst, May 23, 2011.

1. alangst

alangst New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    And I thought just getting an M card for my new Premiere would be a simple process....

So today, charter showed up to install the card. Initially he installed the card only.....HD channels worked. Then he hooked up a tuner( which I didn't think he needed)...this allowed 1 or 2 of the movie channels to come in....Then he screwed around outside (which I now realized messed up the reception for another room).... and finally he removed the tuner, saying that only the m card was needed. Then finally he bailed, stating that someone else would have to come out at a later date.

My questions are....

The VoD service that came with the HD box I was previously using (free HBO on demand/NBC/ABC etc...)... Will that not work with the Premiere and the Card only?

Can "too Strong" of a recption from the cable line mess up your M card (thats what the Charter genius seemed to think). He removed my booster.

2. Stuxnet

Stuxnet Alien Infidel

Feb 8, 2011
    Yes, "too strong" is not good. You can go into "Settings" and see the signal strength for each channel.

Not sure what you meant by "tuner". If that's a digital tuner, yep, you don't need that. If it's a "Tuning Adaptor" to receive SDV programming, you probably DO need that, depending on your package choice.

I only know VOD based on special events, not HBO, so maybe someone else will chime in.

He shouldn't have dome anything outside that would have messed up another room, unless he either disconnected the feed to that room, or installed a bad splitter or made a poor splice connection.

3. duncan7

duncan7 Member

Sep 17, 2004
    You would think so. How's the balance in your leave account? If you don't have a couple of days saved up, I hope you don't mind waiting around for Charter trucks on Saturday.

I have two Premieres with Charter. It took 3 or 4 tech visits to get them set up in November, and I've had video issues twice since then that required multiple service calls. The first time they ran new copper from the pole to my house and pruned off all the unnecessary splitters. The next time, a tier1 truck roll and 3 rolls of the supervisor's truck were required to ascertain that the reason I was missing a single HD channel on both of my tivos was because of something they'd done upstream.

My HD channels have now exhibited audio stutter and distracting macroblocking for a week or more, again, but I can't yet bring myself to start the cycle anew.

One word of advice: start following @charter on twitter and find the CharterDirect forum at the DSLreports site. Those are manned by techs in St. Louis who have a pretty good clue and they can quickly escalate any problems you have. The problem is that, despite their efforts, the local office is still apt to send out a guy to say, "Huh, I've never seen that before. I'll have to have my supervisor come back."

4. alangst

alangst New Member

Jan 20, 2004
    Thanks for the quick responses. To clarify a few points...I did mean the Tuning adaptor. At the moment, I'm getting all HD channels, and an assorted mix of my pay channels (HBO1, but not HBO2 etc.... I am getting HBOLatin, but my 2yrs of HS spanish aren't that good) with only the M card installed, so I don't really think I need the tuning adaptor. Also, I once had the exact same problem with my HD box from charter, and they were able to fix it over the phone by rebooting it, so hopefully something similar can happen.

As far as the OnDemand Services.... With charter HD/Digital boxes in my area, you have an OnDemand button that brings up a menu of Channels that range from OnDemand movies from HBO/Cinemax/Starz etc... that are free if you subscribe to the service to an assortment of normal cable channels (NBC/ABC/Bravo/ESPN/..and tons more) that all have the last 5 or 6 episodes of each show available at any time (similar to HULU online and other sites). This is also how you buy movies and new releases through Charter. The more I think about it, the more I'm not really surprised that it doesn't work with card only, but I just didn't really consider that before my premiere purchase.

Also, please forgive my use of elipseses (....) I tend to use them alot when I'm ranting and annoyed. Punctuation be damned!