A dark day indeed

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Matt L, Nov 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nov 9, 2007 #1 of 17
    Matt L

Matt L Member

Aug 13, 2000
    Flushing, MI

Advertisements

It is a sad day for this TiVo forum, well I guess i should say "FORMER" TiVo forum. As was pointed out to me in another of the flood of HR20 threads, it is now allowed discuss the various D versions of a PVR, that have nothing to do with TiVo.

We can all speculate as to the abrupt change in direction of this forum, or as someone else pointed out, it be be the simple fact the the new owners wanted more eyeballs on their pages, I guess we weren't enough to satisfy them. What ever.

I hereby propose a formal name change for this forum, I'll open the floor for suggestions.

2. Nov 9, 2007 #2 of 17
    nrc

nrc Cracker Soul

Nov 17, 1999
    Living in a...
    This is really a stupid decision. This is supposed to be a forum for TiVo users. This specific forum has been, and should be a place where HR10-250 owners can discuss issues unique to that model. By turning this into a "DirecTV DVR" forum (shouldn't the name be changed) it's likely that HR10 owners will become overwhelmed and it's usefulness for those people will be diminished.

3. Nov 9, 2007 #3 of 17
    JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
    I suggest that the new owners here split off a brand new forum for DirecTV DVR, both TiVo and non-TiVo.

4. Nov 9, 2007 #4 of 17
    incog-neato

incog-neato ObamaGuy

Sep 17, 2007
    The Cold...
    That would make complete sense except we all know what will happen. :rolleyes:

5. Nov 9, 2007 #5 of 17
    newsposter

newsposter Poster of News

Aug 18, 2002
    SE PA

Advertisements

as the board is not affiliated with tivo inc, i see no problem with a sub forum. Make it so.

6. Nov 9, 2007 #6 of 17
    unixadm

unixadm Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Wichita, KS
    Blame it on the dissolving relationship between TiVo and DirecTV....they have stopped selling TiVo powered DirecTV DVR's......you CANNOT get a TiVo powered DVR from DirectTV, or a new one from any store.

Face it.....as DirecTV customers with TiVo, we are the legacy customers....the past, the dinosaurs, the "old folks" waiting for our boxes to die.

There have been complaints about not being able to talk about the hardware that so many of us are being forced to upgrade to (if we want the channels in HD). The new owners are addressing those complaints and are allowing discussion of the HR20 because we have no longer have the choice of TiVo when it comes to DirecTV.

I am happy we can discuss the HR20 here now....and that is because I was forced to get an HR20 so I can get the new HD channels that I have been paying for. I am not thrilled with the HR20 and still have my HR10-250 (which I just upgraded to 1TB of space!), but have to deal with it .......at least we can discuss upgrade possibilities of the HR20, issues when they arise, and compare the two, both good and bad.

7. Nov 9, 2007 #7 of 17
    Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000
    So what's the point of having DBStalk? Why have two forums discussing the same thing?

8. Nov 9, 2007 #8 of 17
    unixadm

unixadm Super Moderator Staff Member

Jan 1, 2001
    Wichita, KS
    The point of DBStalk doesn't change.

Here, I would expect that discussion of the HR20 is limited...more of comparisons and simple issues/questions about the HR20 since we are all being forced to upgrade if we want the new channels. In the past, everytime there was a simple question about the HR20, it would be shut down and the OP would be referred over to DBStalk. Instead, those simple questions/issues/discussions will be allowed here.

I would expect that the more detailed, techie stuff such as disk upgrades, networking, etc on the HR20 would still be over at DBStalk.

9. Nov 9, 2007 #9 of 17
    milominderbinder

milominderbinder New Member

Dec 18, 2006
    Chicagoland
    You think that then there would be two forums about DIRECTV HD DVRs?

Have you seen directv.com's forums?

How about these forums:
    techlore.com
    dvrplayground.com
    satelliteguys.com
    avsforum.com
    highdefforum
    solidsignal.com
    hometheaterspot.com

Google "HR20 Forum" and you will find another 200 forums.

Mr. Winealot, there is a whole world out there...

A lot of TiVo Community people want to keep coming here to get information on a huge range of topics including remotes, movies, and so much more.

- Craig

10. pmturcotte

pmturcotte New Member

May 7, 2001
    NH native...
    If this is true its a horrible decision. I asked about this very same thing a couple weeks ago but the thread was deleted and I was told that HR20 discussion is now allowed so that people can decide between the two. Unfortunately that is not what happens and every thread turns into a Tivo-bashing or HR20-bashing war. If you want to talk or see how much trashing the HR20 takes - thats what dbstalk is for. WHY are we rehashing most of the exact same threads and comments that get made over there.

This was and still should be a tivo only forum. And if you are going to break that rule, why not allow all DVR talk?

Too bad really that a community called the tivocommunity has to spend its time picking among all the trash talking and tivo-bashing that goes unmoderated. Terrible...

11. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    DBSTalk and TiVoCommunity are no longer owned by the same people.

12. bonscott87

bonscott87 Done.

Oct 3, 2000
    Like I noted in another thread the new owners of the Tivo forum (which means DBSTalk and AVS are no longer "sister" sites to TCF) are probably afraid of losing the ad views as less and less people come here as the DirecTivo fleet slowly dies off. That's my tin foil hat answer. :D

But I also think it's an attempt to calm "the masses" because too often a newbie who doesn't know there are better forums to ask an HR20 question in he/she gets attacked by the Tivo army and then that of course gets a response by the D* army and a simple question degenerates to a 15 page flame fest. However I don't expect that to stop. It's unfortunate.

I personally will still direct people to DBSTalk as the best place to discuss.

13. HiDefGator

HiDefGator New Member

Oct 12, 2004
    It was probably a business decision. They get paid based on the number of people that visit. There were 4+ million Tivo owners. But 2+ millon of those were Directivo owners. If they don't allow HR20 talk they lose half their potential audience.

14. Sir_winealot

Sir_winealot Seenyer Member

Nov 18, 2000

I've not seen a single thread get shut down here where an HR20 question was asked.

In fact, before "Team HR20" began a concerted attack on all threads HR10 a week-or-so ago with childish comments purposely intending to antagonize (they said this was because "RS4 was posting so many negative things about the HR20 ...and some of them could turn potential D* customers away, which would result in higher prices for us ..." so they felt the need to retaliate :rolleyes: ) this place was a real pleasure to read.

Only then, when some posters complained about these attacks did I see some threads disappear.

If somebody doesn't like their HR20 and gets upset about it and posts their feelings ..."Team HR20" pounces on them, and feels the need to vehemently defend the unit's honor while going into attack mode on the HR10.

I don't mind discussion about the HR20 ...never did, and I believe most folks here feel the same. But the continuous HR20 proselyzation , and the name calling (TiVo lemmings, zealots, etc.) is way over the top and completely pointless. That's what really gets to me.

Heck, it almost seems like there are actual D* employees posting here ...which I hope isn't true...but that's the feeling one gets from some of the incessant defense of the new unit.

Hopefully we can get back to discussion without the attempts to incite an argument. Hopefully, a negative comment on the HR20 (or D*) will no longer be met with responses like "well my HR10 was crap too!"

That serves absolutely no purpose.

I've never seen an "attack by the TiVo army" when a newbie asks a question.
    But when you see flames ... why continue to contribute to the "flame fest?" You've posted in the past that if they would stop, you would stop.

Why not take the initiative?

15. ebonovic

ebonovic has gone his way...

Jul 24, 2001
    Tinley...
    "Team HR20"

If someone doesn't like the HR20/21 so what.... this isn't about their likes or their dislikes.
    But if they don't like it because they may not understand how it works, or are trying to do something that can't be done (like DLB).... and "Team HR20" tries to help them understand that.

How is that an attack?

Generic "It is a POS", "Well my .... is a POS too" does no one anygood.
    If that is what is wanted... then a new sub-forum should be created just called RANTS

I honestly could absolutely care less if no one converting from an TiVo product likes the DVR+ line..... but so long as they have all the facts... and the correct facts.

I didn't care for the R15 for the first month or so... but over time... I learned it's differences, and frankly I no longer "don't care for it".

So if it is a "attack" then yes, that should be stopped... and doesn't matter what side it is on.

If it is discussion or help... then that is what TCF was founded on, what DBSTalk has been founded on....

16. JohnB1000

JohnB1000 Well-Known Member

Dec 6, 2004
    Sir_winealot, you have a simply amazing skewed outlook on things. What I see here is people basing the HR20 based on their feelings not answering the questions that are asked, then I see the "HR20 Army" striking back.

People come in and say "My HR20 keeps rebooting" and a "TIVO Army" guy will then make some comment about the "POS" HR20, rarely based on any facts. You yourself seem to throw anti-HR20 comments into totally unrelated threads.

17. Mike Lang

Mike Lang Administrator Staff Member Administrator TCF Club

Nov 17, 1999
    This is exactly what we don't want here. Anyone guilty of playing "format wars" will simply be removed. If someone asks a question about a DVR, either answer it or ignore it. Don't tell them they bought the "wrong" brand, don't tell them they need to ask on another site. Just help them or leave them alone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.