A couple questions from a potential new tivo user

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Rallyn, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Rallyn

Rallyn New Member

Aug 27, 2007
    Hi everyone,
    I'll thank everyone in advance for answering my questions. I want to get tivo but first had a couple questions to see if it will be worth it.

First question: I have comcast digital cable, however I do not have a cable box in my room (where my tivo would be). I understand it is possible to hook up a tivo to the non-cable box tv, but will I get a program guide when the tivo is activated? I plan on using the wireless adapter and using comcast high speed internet for the connection.

Second question: I live in a house where there are 6 tv's and 1 internet connection all split from the same cable. Would this affect my recording quality? As of right now, I have a clear picture, but there are some channels that are slightly fuzzy, does recording make the quality go down more? or will it stay the same?

Thats it for now, Sorry if these seem very stupid, but I had to ask someone!

Thanks!

2. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    If you buy the new TiVo HD model, you will have the ability to receive and record all the digital cable channels, two at a time, without a cable box. If you get the inexpensive "DT"(dual tuner) model, you will be able to receive and record one analog unscrambled channel at a time (usually the lower numbered channels are analog, even on a "digital cable" system.)

The program guide will be downloaded from the Internet.

The standard (DT) TiVo model will slightly degrade the picture quality - the worse it is to begin with, the worse the degradation. With a good quality signal, you are not likely to notice a difference using the better recording quality levels. The HD TiVo records the digital TV signal directly and does not affect quality (but analog channels again may suffer a bit.) You may want to ask your cable company to boost the signal level, or at least install better quality splitters.

3. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    stevel,

I never question your helpful responses, but in this case:

1. Doesn't the S2DT have two analog tuners, thus allowing the recording of two analog channels at the same time?

2. Will the THD actually get the digital channels without cablecards? I thought it only got basic channels plus unscrambled QAM.

4. aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    I believe both of these remarks are correct.

Without cablecards, the TiVoHD cannot map QAM unencrypted channels to their correct channel numbers that correspond to the guide information. So the TiVoHD, without cablecards, is basically a more expensive version of the old DT in that setting--only able to record analog channels in the typical TiVo sense (with Season Passes and the like). You can still manually record off QAM digital channels, but whats the fun in that?

The S2DT can definitely record two analog channels at the same time. The program information is downloaded from the internet.

Getting back to the OP questions, having six tv's in the house with splitters can cause some deterioration of picture quality, but if you are happy how the picture looks without TiVo on your TV, then you should be fine (some people say that S2 TiVos make weak analog signals look actually worse, but there's no way to know until you try it).

5. stevel

stevel Dumb Blond TCF Club

Aug 23, 2000
    Nashua, NH
    Yes, the DT model will record two analog channels at once. I did not mean to imply that the TiVo HD would work without CableCARDs. I said without a cable box.