A completely Noob TTG question

Discussion in 'TiVo Home Media Features & TiVoToGo' started by Ingersoll, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Ingersoll

Ingersoll New Member

Jan 15, 2003
    So we got the kiddo off to college this weekend and she took her TiVo with her. She was asking if there's anyway she can move shows off her S2 standalone to her laptop. We've never utilized the TTG feature so I've never learned anything about it. As I'm reading up it sounds like this only works for a networked TiVo, which hers whill definitel NOT be since she's away at school.

Is that essentially correct? Or am I missing something? There's no way to get the recordings to laptop unless they are networked and no way to network them at college? :confused:

2. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    Could she just take a cheap router with her to set up her own network? It doesn't need to be connected to the internet or anything; just the TiVo and her laptop would need to be connected.

3. Ingersoll

Ingersoll New Member

Jan 15, 2003

Would that work???

I'm sure the college would expel her if she was trying to hook a router into their network, but if it was between her laptop and the tivo S2 would that do the trick??? :confused:

4. David Platt

David Platt Mouse Master TCF Club

Dec 13, 2001
    Portland, OR
    It should. I've never done it myself because I use DirecTiVos that don't have TTG, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. I was hoping somebody else would chime in by this morning to confirm. ;)

5. jlb

jlb Go Pats!

Dec 13, 2001
    Burlington, VT
    IIRC, could you not use a "cross over cable" (essentially a cat-5 cable with the wiring swapped at the ends, and hook the TiVo directly to the laptop (Assuming a cat-5 jack on board or on a card)?

6. Ingersoll

Ingersoll New Member

Jan 15, 2003

Her laptop has an ethernet jack so that's no problem, and I have a Linksys adapter that plugs into a usb port (on the back of the TiVo?) and then an ethernet jack "pops" out to connect to a cat 5 cable... :confused: