A bonehead move?

Discussion in 'TiVo Premiere DVRs' started by mp11, Feb 14, 2020.

1. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    OK I cut the cord this week. Cancelled cable and my Tivo account after many years. For some reason my Tivo guide remained(without any season pass, search features or any other options)-just the OTA guide. I'm told that is normal. I was able to manually record programs. But then I decided to disconnect my OTA cable from the Tivo, to check my connections, then reconnected and BOOM! No more Tivo guide-in fact the Tivo doesn't even come on. Lost cause?

2. keithg1964

keithg1964 Ragonk

Feb 2, 2006
    Texas
    The Tivo should continue to boot.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
  3. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Well it actually the recording light is on, so it started recording one of my manual recordings. So something is still going on in there. It continues to give a "check external input" message. The antenna conn is secure, the normal on screen input chosen for OTA does nothing. It's as though the antenna isn't connected.

4. vaquero

vaquero Member

Jan 14, 2020
    Kind of sounds like you hooked up your antenna wire to the wrong coax input.

5. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Sounds like your TV isn't receiving a video signal.

Did you try the TiVo button?

Or the HDMI cable is disconnected or dead?

-KP

6. mp11

mp11 Member

Jan 29, 2008
    OK nothing was working between the remote and Tivo unit. Then when you mentioned HDMI, it rang a bell. Sure enough the HDMI had worked it's way loose. Plugged back in and PRESTO! Good call on the HDMI :) Thanks to everyone for their input! Did I say something about a bone head move?

7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    Check your Tv's Input. An remote press of the input button can do that, even accidentally

The guide does not come from the input coax. You would need to connect to Tivo service for your account status to change, Guide data as well.

EDIT: glad you found the issue with the HDMI.

kpeters59 likes this.
  8. Dave Math

Dave Math New Member

Feb 25, 2020
    Remember too when your cable co runs a truck to your house to put a notch filter (if you have a cable modem) or disconnect your cable tie to the curb the TiVo will go dark. Then you will need to put an antenna on for OTA. I use a flat one from Amazon, but your milage may vary. Check AntennaWeb.org for details in your city.