9.4 Update = Complete Brick Tivo Hd

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by moosedog2000, Aug 7, 2008.

1. Aug 7, 2008 #1 of 24
    moosedog2000

moosedog2000 New Member

Jan 2, 2008

Advertisements

Got the 9.4 update over a week ago and have had a giant brick sitting under my tv since, anyone else with similar problems? Tivo support, after having me reset the thing like 5 times finally blamed Time Warner Cable for the cable card not having firmware to "keep up" with their updates.

Wow, the Time Warner guy finally came today (8 days later!!) and he says he knows someone at Tivo and they admit it is their (Tivo's) fault due to the 9.4 firmware down, er, up-grade. He says the Multistream card looks good and is paired up and ready to rumble as soon as Tivo gets their stuff together.

Who is telling the truth? I trust Tivo 100 times more than Time Warner, but is it asking too much to admit blame these days? I'm not suing them, I want to watch TV!

2. Aug 7, 2008 #2 of 24
    flatcurve

flatcurve New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Chicago
    What exactly is the problem? You say the unit is bricked, which would imply that it doesn't function at all, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

3. Aug 7, 2008 #3 of 24
    moosedog2000

moosedog2000 New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    You are correct, my bad. It gives me the gray screen on all channels on live TV. It powers up, has the guide and my previously recorded stuff is intact.

As an update, I was able to talk to Tivo today and they confirmed they have a widespread problem due to 9.4 and they have no idea when it will be fixed and no you cannot (without a work around or hack) revert to a prior firmware.

4. Aug 7, 2008 #4 of 24
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    What does widespread mean?

5. Aug 7, 2008 #5 of 24
    moosedog2000

moosedog2000 New Member

Jan 2, 2008

Advertisements

This is a good question, I did not ask. From reading these forums I am seeing many more complaints than praises for the upgrade.

6. Aug 7, 2008 #6 of 24
    Langree

Langree The Gimp

Apr 29, 2004
    Freezinmyass...
    But are the complaints due to the same issue you're having? My THD is working fine, so are many others here.

7. Aug 7, 2008 #7 of 24
    rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    If it's a problem with CableCARD firmware and 9.4 it should function without the CableCARDs.

Can you pull the cards, reboot and test whatever channels you receive? Then re-insert the cards, reboot and test again?

8. Aug 7, 2008 #8 of 24
    moosedog2000

moosedog2000 New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    I'll have to try that when I get home. The Time Warner guys said not to take the card out for fear it would disrupt the pairing. Is that really an issue?

9. Aug 7, 2008 #9 of 24
    andyf

andyf Well-Known Member

Feb 23, 2000
    Houston,...
    As long as the card get's re-inserted into the same slot it was in before it is "supposed" to be OK.

10. SeanC

SeanC ECT

Dec 30, 2003
    Someplace
    Generally, no. So long as all you do is pop them out (you can leave them in the slot, just backed out far enough to be disconnected), you should be fine. Putting them in another device can definitely screw up the pairing though, so don't do that.

11. moosedog2000

moosedog2000 New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    well, ok, i guess I'll give it a whirl. If I do get channels does that mean the cable card really is bad?

I am a little fed up with this whole Tivo-Time Warner teeter-totter. I think I'm going to go with the TW DVR and be a big loser. I should've seen this coming when it took 3 days to get the cable card working initially. I love having cool tech, but when I spend more time working on it than enjoying it, it's not worth it.

12. rocko

rocko Cuckoo for TiVo

Oct 29, 2002
    Northeast...
    Like others have said, if they've beed paired correctly it isn't a problem. If they haven't been paired correctly, which is my suspicion, you haven't broken anything anyway. It definitely can't hurt.

Edit: I noticed you said multistream card (singular). Double check on the CableCARD diag screen that it is indeed a M card, not a S card.

13. moosedog2000

moosedog2000 New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    no it's an M card

14. flatcurve

flatcurve New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Chicago
    This is suspicious because part of pairing the cards is testing the channels to see if they are being received. How can he even verify that they're working if you're not getting any reception? You'd be surprised how little the installers actually know about CableCARDs. A majority of the problems that people report to us end up being related to the cards. If he didn't at least try installing new cards, he wasted your time. Also, definitely try the suggestion of pulling the cards out and checking the clear QAM reception. (contrary to what the installer said, this is not a problem. just proof of what I said earlier about their knowledge of these things) If it doesn't work with the cards out, you've got your answer.

15. moosedog2000

moosedog2000 New Member

Jan 2, 2008
    thank you, I will give it try.

I do get cable on my other TV's and on this TV when I unplug from the Tivo and go straight into the TV.

I am becoming aware of how little the installers know. This is the fourth time a guy has been out to the house to do nothing significant. Customer Dis-service at Time Warner doesn't know how to make microwave popcorn much less what a cable card is or how it works. They are, hands down, the worst-trained, least motivated people on Earth.

16. flatcurve

flatcurve New Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Chicago
    We got really lucky here at the shop with our CableCARD install. It took all of 15 minutes, and we haven't had any problems. Two S3s, with two M-Cards in each one. The guy had done it a few times already, so that helped.

17. Grey Griffin

Grey Griffin Member

May 24, 2007
    Tulsa, OK

One thing to keep in mind is that people come here specifically because they have a problem. There's a poll on the board showing more than 85% or respondents have had no problems with 9.4. Last I checked that poll had about 200 votes.

18. trol1374

trol1374 New Member

Dec 10, 2007
    I have the TivoHD and time warner with an m card. My upgrade went smooth. I followed the directions, and was good to go.

19. flc

flc New Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Huntersville...
    Rule of thumb, hardly anyone comes here to praise TiVo, they come here to find out news or find solutions to problems they have

20. jrm01

jrm01 New Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Pittsburgh
    There have been 3-4 reports of a very similar issue as the OP has stated. The only common elements that I've seen are 9.4, TW and m-cards. There have also been reports of this combo working just fine.

moosedog, where are you located? Any change yet?