9.1 sucks!!! what can i do ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Kitchn, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Kitchn

Kitchn New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    It effecting everything that has to do with broadband on the tivo ....its taking forever for it download my tivocasts....I've gotten Rhapsody to work once and that was the first time i used it ...i seriously think all the problems having to do with 9.1 hace to do with rhapsody ....because until i used the rhapsody service my tivo was running fine ....after i used it and rhapsody stopped responding ...it has run like crap...

2. richsadams

richsadams Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2003
    Sorry to hear about that…sounds very frustrating. :mad: I’m guessing it’s a network problem...which could have been exacerbated by the recent upgrade as all connections are lost and reconfigured when it’s installed.

I haven't used Rhaposdy, but can you remove that from the mix? If your problems started there, perhaps getting rid of it and setting it up again later might help.

Do you have a wired or wireless connection? If wireless have you checked the signal strength under TiVo’s network settings (marginal, good, excellent)?

If you haven’t already, you could try a hard reboot...unplug TiVo for 10 to 15 seconds and plug it back in. Some people have had to do that two or three times before everything returned to normal.

You might also want to reboot your router, etc. to re-establish all of the network connections. IIRC there were a couple of posts that mentioned having to delete the network connection completely and then enter the info again to rectify everything (but they were posted prior to v9.1 rollout.)

Maybe others may have some suggestions too.

Best of luck and let us know what you find out. :up:

EDIT: If you haven't read it, there's a thread about Rhapsody here as well.

3. bkdtv

bkdtv New Member

Jan 9, 2003
    DC Metro Area
    Have you tried doing a Settings -> Reboot?

It's possible the Rhapsody application left some garbage running that requires a reboot to cleanup.

4. dylanemcgregor

dylanemcgregor Well-Known Member

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    I'm having problems with most of the broadband features as well since the download. Unbox, TiVocast, TTG, and TTCB all have stopped working since the update and I haven't even touched the Rhapsody app yet. The rest of the HME apps seem to work fine as does connecting to the TiVo service.

I've been on the phone with Amazon's Unbox support and they have been helpful and have had me try all the usual steps including deleting and resetting my network connection on the TiVo. No luck so far, but they are still investigating and are supposed to get back to me sometime tonight with what we can try next.

5. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    There's a post regarding a fix for networking issues here. It's regarding an MRV problem, but the procedure may still work...it fixed the OP's problem.

Here are the basics:

1) Disconnect power from both TiVos
    2) Disconnect power from my router
    3) Disconnect the ethernet from the S2DT and the usb adapter from the S2
    4) Wait at least 1 minute (I waited 10, reading email and whatnot)
    5) Reconnect power to both TiVos, wait until they're up and running
    6) Reconnect power to the router, wait for it to reconnect and settle down
    7) Reconnect ethernet to S2DT and usb adapter to the S2, verify each can see the network
    8) Manually tell each TiVo to connect to the TiVo service

6. TiVo Steve

TiVo Steve New Member

Nov 8, 2005
    Seattle WA.
    I don't mind (ha ha) the slow-downs when browsing by time... pretty new clock to stare at. But I'm losing my network connection to TiVo EVERY day! I have made NO changes to my network, I'm not using any HME apps, I'm not even using TiVo desktop. Every 24-36 hours when I select "Find New Programs", I notice the list ends with the " To Do List". I have to either reboot or move the USB cable to force a new connection.

This only started after the 9.1 UPDATE. :mad:

7. dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    I've done those steps exactly in that order, minus the disconnecting the USB adapter, with no luck. When I'm back home tonight I'll redo this and include that step. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

8. dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Redid all the steps last night, and still no go on the TiVocast, Unbox, or TTG this morning. I'll give TiVo a call tonight to see if they have any further suggestions. Hopefully I'll be able to get his fixed quickly.

Dylan

9. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    How about a different switch. A lot of the old network hubs cause unreliable connections with Tivo. I recently replaced my switch and its been rock solid.

10. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Bummer. :mad: Well, let us know what they have to say and best of luck.

Good idea…hadn’t thought of that. :up:

11. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    Yep, as I mentioned in the 9.1 bugs thread. The MRV/TiVocast was a major overhaul in 9.1 and thus it might push some more older routers over the edge that would not work well with TiVo traffic. Try a new one and return it if it does not do the trick

12. robm15

robm15 New Member

Feb 22, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I've been unable to get Rhapsody, Yahoo weather, or Yahoo traffic to work. I don't use tivocasts. I've also been unable to get MRV from my S2DT to PC to work since 9.1.

13. dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    I just replaced my router a couple of months ago with a new Buffalo G router that has been working great. Again, the connection to TiVo seems to work fine as do all the HME apps. It is just TiVoCast, TTG, and Unbox that I'm having trouble with.

14. dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Spoke to TiVo last night, and after a fair amount of researching the CSR came back and said that all of my subscribed Tivocasts were showing as unsubscibed. The solution was to resubscribe to all of my TiVocasts and unlink and relink my TiVo to Amazon.

Called up Amazon for help on this (didn't realize that it was something you could do easily on your own) and they resent the downloads. As of this morning still no luck on either Unbox or Tivocast.

15. davezatz

davezatz Funkadelic

Apr 18, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Networking is hosed on my bedroom TiVo (Series 2 Humax) which is connected to a Buffalo wireless bridge. Networking is fine on the livingroom TiVo (Series3) which is also connected to a Buffalo wireless bridge. Both wireless bridges speak to a modern Netgear router. The only difference is my hardware (Series2 v Series3) and that the Series2 uses a USB->Ethernet adapter. Basically all networking on the S2 is dead at this point - no items in Music, Photos, & More. What's weird is that it WAS working when I first got 9.1 and later got Rhapsody. I haven't tried rebooting yet, but this is definitely a bug on TiVo's end. I'm not buying any new networking gear. ;) Though I do have a TiVo wireless adapter I could try on the S2.

16. dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    Your Humax is a DVD unit right? I find it weird that I'm having mostly the same issues, except that I do have items in Music, Photos, and More...although last night I had trouble connecting to Yahoo weather and Fandango...but Live 365 still worked.

Are you able to dial out with the S2, or has that been hosed too?

17. ctcraig

ctcraig New Member

Mar 16, 2002
    Chandler Az
    I can't find unbox or TiVoCast anywhere on my S3 either...

18. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Hopefully the latest software upgrade (more here) will fix these problems. It's only in trial distribution now but should start rolling out in two to three weeks or sooner (hopefully). :up:

19. dylanemcgregor

Jan 31, 2003
    Corner of...
    It looks like the software is only for the S3 and HD right now. Also didn't see any mention from anyone that any of the networking bugs had been fixed (are those S2 only?)

When I called up TiVo the support person said that he didn't think my issues were related to the update, and that the timing was just a big coincidence...of course his fix didn't work either. I haven't been able to call back yet because I don't want to dedicate another 30 minutes of "anytime minutes" to the problem.

20. richsadams

Jan 4, 2003
    Bummer. :( Curious as to what the TiVo CSR's recommended "fix" was. If you can post it, it might help someone else...but then again... :rolleyes: