9-1-1: Lone Star Season Thread *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by astrohip, Jan 20, 2020.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Premiered last night on Fox, a spin-off of 9-1-1. Stars Rob Lowe and Liv Tyler, set in Austin. From wiki:

Set in Texas, 9-1-1: Lone Star will star Rob Lowe as a sophisticated New York firefighter who, along with his son, relocates to Austin. There, he must try to balance saving those who are at their most vulnerable with solving the problems in his own life.

So what did everyone think? I watched the first half dozen 9-1-1 episodes before I gave up. And wouldn't have watched this at all, except... well, "Lone Star". I found it cliche-ridden to the point of exhaustion. I'll watch a couple more, because... well, "Lone Star". But unless it suddenly turns 180 degrees, I can't see myself sticking with it. I'm sure there are many who enjoy this type of show (hey, I never missed an episode of 2 Broke Girls, so who am I to criticize:p), but it's not for me.

It started on the wrong foot when the transition scene showed them driving thru desert/western scrub on their way to Austin from NYC. Unless they detoured via West Texas, the NYC/eastern side of Texas to Austin is green. It turns scrub when you get west of the San Antonio/Austin/Dallas line. One of those details that no one cares about, and helps set the scene, but drives my cliche/trope meter off the scale. Also loved the accent of the little girl who brought cookies. Even with my hearing, it sounded like someone who learned a Texas accent from watching Gone With the Wind.

And the firehouse that responded to the call in the opening scene, they didn't know it was "sometimes used to store fertilizer". And the closing scene, where they're racing to the statehouse (downtown Austin)... how does a station cover both downtown and fertilizer plants. Aren't they like miles apart? Oh well.

But hey... "Lone Star".

jsmeeker likes this.
  2. kpeters59

kpeters59 Well-Known Member

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    I came up with Politically Correct to the point of annoyance, but "cliche" was definitely there, too.

"thanks all y'all" was forced in to one scene. Plenty more like that.

I'm going to probably watch tonight's, but, like Stumptown, this show has no future at my house...

-KP

Malcontent likes this.
  3. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas

Same way Los Angeles County Fire station 51 did.

:)

4. Howie

Howie Out of Pocket TCF Club

May 3, 2004
    San Antonio
    Sounds like they're using Jack Bauer time.

5. eddyj

eddyj Señor Member TCF Club

Jun 20, 2002
    South Florida
    Same for me, but replace "Lone Star" with "Liv Tyler". :D

Yeah, cliches galore, and the usual suspension of time and physics, but I will give it a chance (never watched any of the other 9-1-1 shows).

I was bothered early on: "it's some virus I can't shake. I'm going to the doctor for some antibiotics." No, No, No! :p

LlamaLarry likes this.
  6. sushikitten

sushikitten LivingLippy.com TCF Club

Jan 27, 2005
    Chicago-ish...
    It sounds like I can delete this without watching. :)

Jon J and super dave like this.
  7. irmolars

irmolars Member

Dec 29, 2018
    If you do, you'll miss a good show.

jasrub likes this.
  8. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Pretty much...

-KP

9. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I'm out. Terrible writing.

What's the deal with his hair? It's not that amazing. I can see if he had hair, for example, like the older kid on Young Sheldon. Now THAT'S hair. But his hair seemed kinda normal to me. And they spent gobs of time talking about it.

And the entire scene with that racist lady and the barbacoa. Just too stupid for me.

LlamaLarry likes this.
  10. kpeters59

Jun 19, 2007
    Houston, Texas
    Me too.

Their too far went too far.

-KP

11. Test

Test Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2004
    In the first episode when they were house hunting, was the 4500 a month low or high for them?

12. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Very low.

Though I can't say the same for Austin, but down south where my parents live, I could've paid for 5 houses outright for cash for the 20% down I paid on my current house in the Los Angeles area.

--Carlos V.

13. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    I just finished the 2nd episode. I think I'll keep watching, but only because within the first 5 minutes of the 2nd episode I realized it was really an hour-long light-comedy series.

Though I'm also watching because I've lived in Austin, and it's filmed in Los Angeles. As soon as they came up on the smoking ground, I called "barbacoa!" Kudos that they added the leaves to the pit. And after crazy lady said "swinging a bat" "piñata!" "It was a piñata you crazy vieja!".

And curanderas are really a thing. Unfortunately my paternal grandmother listened to her curandera too long and didn't take care of her diabetes until it was too late.

--Carlos V.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  14. martinp13

martinp13 Roller coaster addict :)

Mar 19, 2001
    Fort Worth, TX
    You mean "Y'all'll miss a good show." ;)

15. Unbeliever

Unbeliever Random Nobody

Feb 3, 2001
    Nowhere Special
    Like I said in my previous post, y'all'd've[1] enjoyed it more as a light-comedy.

[1] "You all would have". Pronounced "yah-div".

--Carlos "Texpatriate" V.

stargazer21 likes this.
  16. Worf

Worf Well-Known Member

Sep 15, 2000
    Yeah, I think all the 9-1-1 series are like that. If you take them seriously, you'll just be disappointed. Of course, I am a sucker for these kinds of shows - I was just looking up to see when 9-1-1 would come back, but that's not announced yet it seems. (In Canada, they're on two different local networks, annoyingly).

Personally, I 'm enjoying it. I need some levity in my world, and ending on a happy note is what I seem to need at the moment for TV programming. (Yes, that's probably also why I enjoy New Amsterdam)

17. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I liked the original 9-1-1. This version, kind of meh. I'll probably continue with it, just because there's not much else going on.

rharmelink and Amnesia like this.
  18. hummingbird_206

hummingbird_206 Retired

Aug 22, 2007
    Valley of...
    I liked the original 9-1-1 until
    Connie Britton left and Jennifer Love Hewitt joined the cast. Stopped watching soon after that happened.
    I watched the first ep of Lone Star because I like Rob and Liv. But wasn't impressed with either of their characters nor the storyline. Haven't watched any more yet, and not sure I will any time soon.

19. type_g

type_g Active Member

Sep 9, 2002
    You will be happy to know that she is set to be back, sawi it on a preview of upcoming episode, but I am unsure if its permanent or for an episode or two

LlamaLarry and hummingbird_206 like this.
  20. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I enjoyed the first two episodes. The challenges that several of the characters face are interesting to me. Plus, I don't take these shows seriously either and enjoy them (or not, depending on the show) for just what they are.

Plus, Rob Lowe. :)