8TB Roamio upgrade stability issues when 98% filled?

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by Johnny Danger, Mar 22, 2018.

1. Johnny Danger

Johnny Danger Member

Dec 27, 2016

Advertisements

I have an 8TB Roamio upgrade with it almost complete filled.

The system worked great at first but now that its like 98% filled, it seem slow, sluggish, unstable and constantly resetting for no reason.

If I move around in the menu options, it might lag a few times then reset.

I think it might reset 3 times to watch a 30 minute tv show.

Any suggestions? Maybe removing the hard drive and defragging it or maybe upgrade RAM, etc..??

Thanks.

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    What model hard drive are you using?

3. Jimbo687

Jimbo687 Member

Dec 18, 2016
    I would expect problems like you have described on any drive operating at 98% full. In a TIVO unit or my personal computer. I would try off loading some of your storage. Try getting below 95% or more and see if you still have any problems. Give your system a little breathing room to operate normally.

rpiotro likes this.
  4. jrtroo

jrtroo Chill- its just TV

Feb 4, 2008
    Chicagoland
    Seems you already know the answer, clear some space, the box was not designed to handle that much capacity of shows to organize. Plus, there is not any memory you can update, hard drive and fan are the only internal parts you can "upgrade".

Though, while a defrag is not something you need to do (its not a windows OS), if you feel the disc may be going bad you may want to run the manufacturer's tools on it to see if it has any problems.

What do you mean by reset? Have you tried rebooting?

Last edited: Mar 24, 2018
    krkaufman likes this.
  5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
  6. Thom

Thom Unemployed and loving it !

Jun 5, 2000
    Southern Calif.
    When you upgraded your drive to 8TB, did you increase the size of your swap partition as well?

7. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Not really true/relevant with a Tivo since that's just a measure of the media partition which is separate from the OS partitions. With Suggestions enabled a Tivo media partition would be 100% utilized eventually although it does not count those in calculating the percentage full.

With the 8TB drive though there could be some other memory constraint due to the number of shows but not sure how likely that is.

Scott

mattack likes this.
  8. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    Does that 98% include "recently deleted shows"? Or are those in a cloud or tivoservers?

9. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    Recently deleted shows are on your local hard drive, but not counted as "used" space. So a TiVo that is "98% full" could have as much as 2% in "recently deleted" content.

10. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    An empty drive can use from two to three hours of space. I'm not sure what 98% means, but I would never do that.

11. Diana Collins

Diana Collins Well-Known Member TCF Club

Aug 21, 2002
    New York...
    True...I didn't allow for 4 or 6 tuners with 30 minute buffers each. But I think that is included in "used" space.

12. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    It is. I can tell when my drive is physically full by checking the Recently Deleted Recordings. When they start to be killed off, I know my drive is full. Then I kill off a month's worth of programs. While there is no defrag operation, I can come close this way.

13. shwru980r

shwru980r Well-Known Member

Jun 22, 2008
    When you remove the 8TB drive to connect it to a PC to run the manufacturers diagnostics, install the original drive into the Roamio to see if the symptoms are still present.

14. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    I understand what you are saying. Having said that, my Bolt still operates in a stable fashion even when it reports that it is 100% full (although that is not quite accurate, as there still will be some shows left in the Deleted folder and in Suggestions (which have been recorded)).

15. alexgav

alexgav New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Hi all, was there ever a resolution for this issue? I'm in the same boat. 8TB upgraded drive, now at about 50% capacity, starting to see many random reboots. It appears to reboot only (or at least a lot more frequently) when playing back recently recorded shows.

While the drive is only 50% full, all shows are SD, non-HD, so there are definitely a few thousand of them. I am in the process of transferring some of the shows to my PC, and may go back to the original 3TB drive, but was wondering if there is a workaround. Or if the drive did end up being bad?