8TB Replace and Transfer/Preserve Recordings?

Discussion in 'TiVo Upgrade Center' started by TivoRocks193, Feb 23, 2018.

1. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005

Advertisements

I have an 8TB WD80EFZX hard drive on a Roamio Pro that appears to be dying (clicking/crashing/etc). I have a replacement (same model) coming. Is it possible to plug in both drives on SATA ports of a PC and do a direct clone to transfer all of the existing recordings and settings?

I know there’s MFSR for increasing the size to 8TB and DVRBars for backup/restore but 8TB is huge, so I have no place to store the backup file. Any suggestions how to do a straight clone or is that pretty much impossible?

I know for regular hard drives, I’d use a cloning tool like this, but since TiVo has special formatting/partitions, I wasn’t sure if such a tool would work for a TiVo drive.

https://www.amazon.com/Inateck-FD2002-Dual-Bay-Docking-Function/dp/B00N1KXE9K

Might that work with a TiVo drive? Suggestions? Would ddrescue work?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    Either ddrescue or a cloning dock should work fine. All you need is a byte-for-byte copy of the drive.

3. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Took a total of “28 hours and 39 minutes” to copy the 8TB WD Red drive with “ddrescue -f -n”. The estimate when it first started was around 14 hours.

About to plug it in, so fingers crossed!

kpeters59 likes this.
  4. TivoRocks193

TivoRocks193 Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Worked like a charm, I’m guessing in part because the source and target were the exact same model. I wouldn’t try mixing them.

I was a little worried since the old one is beginning to die (random restarts/click sounds) but amazingly, no read errors during the copy and the newly started unit looks identical to before.

Oh, and since WD has a 3 year warranty on their red drive, didn’t have to pay for the new one, just have to ship the old one back.

kpeters59 and rdrrepair like this.