802.11G Network Speed

Discussion in 'TiVo Underground' started by ttocsmi, Oct 3, 2007.

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1 of 13
    ttocsmi

ttocsmi New Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

my apologies if this question has been asked previously...

my series 2 tivo is WEP connected to my wireless 802.11G linksys router, which in turn is connected wirelessly to my laptop. it's taking just over an hour to transfer a 1 hour 1.5 GB file from the tivo to the laptop. this seems slow to me.

i'm considering re-locating my router and hardwiring it to the tivo using an ethernet cable. same with the laptop - it would also be hardwired to the router when transferring files.

does my network speed seem slow to anyone else? anyone else have a similar experience?

thanks.

s

2. Oct 4, 2007 #2 of 13
    JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    Yes that seems slow for a G connection, it seems more like B speed. I have never tried to a laptop wirelessly connected BUT I have don MRV transfers between 2 wirelessly connected DTivo's using 802.11g, A 1 hour show should be over in well under 10 minutes. But a lot does depend on signal quality what you are transmitting thru, other wireless traffic, make sure your router is in g mode only and are you sure that both the tivo and laptop are using G?

3. Oct 4, 2007 #3 of 13
    BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    The OP didn't specify, but a tivo desktop extraction tends to have a MUCH slower xfer than an MRV (because the tivo needs to do a lot more work re-encrypting)

4. Oct 4, 2007 #4 of 13
    ttocsmi

ttocsmi New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    what's an MRV?

i've written a few .tivo files to a DVD-R. will DRM preclude these files from being played on a different PC?

is file conversion from .tivo to .mpg/.avi/etc a forbidden topic?

thanks again.

5. Oct 4, 2007 #5 of 13
    JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida

Advertisements

Didn't we have this discussion before??? :eek:

Very true. The encrypt/decrypt can take considerable time.

6. Oct 4, 2007 #6 of 13
    JWThiers

JWThiers Smartypants

Apr 12, 2005
    Cocoa, Florida
    MRV = Multi-Room Viewing

Assuming that you are using Tivo Desktop to transfer content to your PC ( I often forget about Tivo desktop because the latest version doesn't work with Directv Tivo so I can't use it to burn content) it is common for it to take longer than other means to move content to your PC. this is a consequence of encryption/decryption rather than the the actual moving of the bits. But the type of connection can also have an effect (how much has been a subject of debate in the past)

The big 3 forbiden topics
    1. Theft of Service or TOS.
    2. Extraction - Non tivo approved means of getting the content off the tivo.
    3. Conversion of the .tivo file.

7. Oct 6, 2007 #7 of 13
    alk

alk New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    So what would be considered a reasonable transfer speed for a Series 2 DVR using TivoToGo? I have one connected to my wired network via a Linksys USB200M USB Ethernet adapter, but it also takes me about a hour or so to transfer a 1.6 GB file. This seems unreasonably slow to me... In fact, it seems as though the transfer is only moving at about 4 Mbps (that comes out to about 1.75 GB per hour which matches nicely my observed transfer rates) which is nowhere near the possible throughput of my network (100base-TX ethernet).

So can anyone say what is a reasonable transfer speed for a network connected Tivo?

Peace,
    alk

8. Oct 6, 2007 #8 of 13
    BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    again, it's not the network slowing you down... if you tuned the channel to a station you don't receive, you may see an improvement, but the tivo does a LOT of work for a TTG transfer

9. Oct 6, 2007 #9 of 13
    alk

alk New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    That's fine, but what is nominal throughput with TTG? Is it 4 Mbps? This is very close to realtime or 1:1 speeds (45 minutes to transfer 60 minutes of video). Can the decrypter on the Tivo really have so little headroom while decrypting a file?

[edit: Gloucester, MA, eh? My brother and my sister live there. Small world. I'm in Colorado, though.]

Peace,
    Drew

10. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    Thanx for reminding me... I moved in August (but it's the next town over)

re: TTG speeds, I can't really say, as I only have dtivos (no TTG available). I know there's more info on DDB. The tivo has VERY little headroom (in network testing, it's often CPU-bound rather than anything else), but for TTG, I've read that it's having to decrypt AND re-encrypt... thus, the slowdown. (MRV xfers between tivos do neither, so are MUCH faster)

11. ttocsmi

ttocsmi New Member

Jan 6, 2007

hmmmm. thanks.

OK, so how do i decrypt the .tivo file? ;)

12. BTUx9

BTUx9 back?

Nov 13, 2003
    Rockport, MA
    Ummm... did you READ what he said at first?

seriously, it's even in the thread name near the top of the page:
    Code:
    Sticky: NOTICE: We do not allow for the talk of .tivo file conversion   - David Bott

13. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    Go to sourceforge.net and search around.

Some assembly required. ;)