8 tuner Tivo?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by kturcotte, Jan 5, 2016.

1. Jan 5, 2016 #1 of 95
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    Dish Network announced their 16 tuner at CES. I'd be happy with even an 8 tuner Tivo. Is this possible with the current cable card spec? If not, could multiple cable cards be used? What about OTA?

2. Jan 5, 2016 #2 of 95
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Probably not. Cisco makes an 8 tuner CableCARD, but I don't think Motorola does. And cable companies are only required by law to enable as many tuners on retail cards as their own flagship DVRs. So unless we see a cable DVR with 8 tuners it's unlikely we'll see CaleCARDs with 8 tuner support.

As for OTA... probably not there either. The reason the Roamio Basic and Bolt are limited to 4 tuners is because chips don't exist to tune more the 4 ATSC channels at a time. So they'd have to use two chips, and all the associated hardware, to make an 8 tuner OTA only DVR. I doubt there is much demand for that, especially at the price point they'd need to charge.

3. Jan 5, 2016 #3 of 95
    lesliew

lesliew New Member

Oct 11, 2003
    UK / USA
    Now sports bar mode - that was cool

4. Jan 5, 2016 #4 of 95
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    There is an 8-tuner cablecard, but nobody distributes it. At this point (with cablecard on the way out) I don't think anybody would. Using multiple cards could work in theory. Tivo's done it before with the old single-stream cards.

OTA has no fixed limitation other than what the maker chooses to add to the box.

What's possible and likely are two different things of course. :)

5. Jan 5, 2016 #5 of 95
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    Yeah maybe if the Mega ever turns into a real product it will use two cards and have 12 tuners.

6. Jan 5, 2016 #6 of 95
    GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Wouldn't signal strength be an issue at some point with that many tuners, or is the internal split somehow different than a splitter?

7. Jan 5, 2016 #7 of 95
    Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    The path after the split would be short so that makes it a little different then a split in your house feeding multiple rooms. Also the Roamio Pro has an internal amplifier to boost the signal before it's split. (although in some cases that can cause more problems then it solves)

8. Jan 6, 2016 #8 of 95
    Series3Sub

Series3Sub Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2010
    Hopper 3 confirmed that it is a TRUE 16 tuner DVR. Meaning only ONE tuner needed for the optional PTAT leaving 15 tuners free, not the phony-baloney "# of programs recorded/# of tuners" confusion of the previous Hoppers. FWIW, all Hoppers at all times use ONE tuner to provide Big 4 broadcasters and any combination of them to any TV/viewer at the same time. It works like the PTAT except that all viewers at any time can view a different or same Big 4 broadcaster at any time and the system uses only ONE tuner. Also, H3 supports 7 TV's for independent viewing. Current OTA USB tuner supported, making for a 17 tuner DVR. PTAT + 15 sat tuners + OTA tuner = 20 shows recorded simultaneously. The idea is that this DVR would end tuner/timer conflicts.

I don't think H3 is relevant to TiVo so much, but the pressure is really on DirecTV. Of course, any enhancements to TiVo is a good thing. It is nice to see competition at work to brings us such cutting edge DVR's like TiVo, Genie, and Hopper. Cable DVR's are still junk by comparison.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  9. Jan 6, 2016 #9 of 95
    kturcotte

kturcotte Active Member

Dec 8, 2002
    Portland, ME
    I would HOPE it ends tuner/timer conflicts! lol I can't picture needing to record more than 16 channels at the time! I have hit the 4 tuner limit on my Roamio a few times, so a few more would definitely be nice.

10. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005
    Not sure alot more tuners will come to cable because of VoD.

Even Tivo is mixing in VoD with your recordings. Comcast X1 is doing something along those lines as well.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  11. ncted

ncted A leaf on the wind

May 13, 2007
    Durham, NC
    If I ever went back to pay tv, it would be with Dish. No more conflicts!

12. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    VOD has nothing to do with it, at least on TiVos end. I'm sure if there were CableCARDs that supports 8 or 16 tuners they would make a box that supported it.

Now since the number of tuners required to be supported by CableCARD is directly correlated to the maximum number of tuners their own boxes support, cable companies could be looking at VOD and saying 6 is plenty. I'm not sure they have an incentive to offer people more tuners then that.

13. GoodSpike

GoodSpike Active Member

Dec 17, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I think he's saying that with VOD there's less need for a lot of tuners. I think that's questionable since my preference is to watch stuff recorded onto a hard drive over streaming.

14. Dan203

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    That might be true for recording, but with the way TiVo borrows tuners for Minis I think bigger families would prefer to have a few more. Enough so they can watch live TV in every room AND still record 3-4 things would probably be ideal.

Who knows maybe we will see a Mega someday that takes 2 cards and has 12 tuners. That would be more then enough for even the biggest family I'd think.

15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Yeah, 16 is ridiculous (in a good way).

I have even hit the 6 tuner limit of my Roamio a few times, *due to my own padding* (since I pad virtually EVERYTHING on both ends, including late night talk shows that are on the same channel right after each other)..

But I technically have 10 tuners live already, Premiere 4 + Roamio Plus. I say "technically" since I moved the VAST majority of OPs to my Roamio Plus, and the P4 is sort of back up.

16. trip1eX

trip1eX imo, afaik, feels like to me, *exceptions, ~aprox

Apr 2, 2005

IF HBO Go comes to Tivo then who really needs to record anything on HBO?

17. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    People who have data caps on their internet service or people who want to be able to watch an HBO show in QuickMode. Ironically, I like watching Real Time in QuickMode. I also don't really like having to launch an app and wait for it to load or video to buffer, so I prefer watching recordings over streaming in general anyways.

18. Chris Gerhard

Chris Gerhard Well-Known Member

Apr 27, 2002
    AR
    Everybody without unlimited data, usually meaning those that don't want to pay for unlimited data. Are markets with data caps unusual in your opinion? I get close to my 300GB cap without streaming anything I can record using TiVo, if I didn't I would have to pay $35/month to remove the cap. I thought many millions of consumers are in the same situation.

19. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016
    Comcast is the key MVPD with a cap.

20. SomeRandomIdiot

SomeRandomIdiot New Member

Jan 7, 2016

16 tuners may not be ridiculous considering that TiVo cannot use the same tuner for automatic overlap on channels such as the DirecTV can. In essence, if you were to pad 1 extra minute on both sides, 16 would be cut down to 8 tuners quickly.

The DirecTV automatic padding /use of 1 tuner for overlapping shows would be 1 of my 2 major requests for TiVo, which I am quite surprised it does not already have.