1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

-8 dB attenuator to fix picture quality on Roamio pro.

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by skasol, Nov 13, 2017 at 12:26 PM.

1. skasol

skasol Member

Apr 23, 2009
    It seems my signal is too high. Strength at 100 SNR at 40. Was told to install a (-) negative 8db attenuator. I don’t see any on amazon anywhere else I can buy from and see if this finally fixes my soft picture quality on my HD channels. [​IMG]

2. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Your signal strength is not the cause of your soft picture on HD. The issue is likely with overcompression of the source material you are being sent.

skasol likes this.
  3. skasol

skasol Member

Apr 23, 2009
    So do you think I don’t need the attenuator? My picture quality was good on my TivoHD but since switching to the Roamio it looks soft. Not HD

4. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    If you were getting choppy signals or macro blocking, that might be an issue with signal strengths, but soft picture isn't so I wouldn't suggest an attenuator to reduce signal strength.

Roamio should at least have the same picture quality as TiVo HD.

What cables are you using to connect the Roamio to to your TV? What resolution do you have it set at? 480i, 720p, 1080i, etc.? Are you comparing the same channels and do you have the same provider as with TiVo HD?

5. skasol

skasol Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Yeah I am definitely not experiencing choppiness or macro blocking. Mostly it looks like the skins have photoshop smoothing if I can explain what I am experiencing. I do have the same provider as TivoHD (Fios). I have it set at auto and it usually sits at 1080i my tv pioneer elite supports 1080p I am using HDMI to connect it. I can try switching out the HDMI for a new one

6. sfhub

sfhub Well-Known Member

Jan 6, 2007
    It isn't the cable either if you are sending 1080i all the way through using HDMI.

Are you using a different input on your TV which may have its own picture tuning settings? Perhaps you had some type of high contrast or sharpness settings turned up previously?

When you say "skins", are you saying both the UI menus and the content look soft? The picture you posted of the diagnostics page doesn't look soft.

tim1724 likes this.
  7. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    If you are going to get attenuators, you may not be able to get (1) -8dB attenuator, but you should be able to get several lower -dB ones and can attach in sequence to add up to (or slightly over) the dB needed.

Your other post is here:

-8 dB attenuator for picture on Roamio

Try not to cross-post or on multiple places, Someone will catch the single post.

8. jonw747

jonw747 Member

Aug 2, 2015
    Probably a TV setting changed. Try to use HDMI if possible, make sure the TiVo is sending the best HD signal for your TV (you might try Native resolution). Check your TV video setting. If you changed inputs going from one to the other, the settings may have changed drastically. Getting the "black level" setting wrong can mess things up in sometimes subtle ways.

9. skasol

skasol Member

Apr 23, 2009
    The UI isn’t soft at all. It’s sharp. The guide is sharp. I reset the settings on the input and I have played with the input settings on the tv as well.

When I say the skin looks soft it’s like parts of the face don’t look sharp, the look fuzzy, or too smooth like there’s no detail to the face. I am going to see if I could take a photo.

10. skasol

skasol Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Thank you.

11. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Much as I dislike rewarding your double-posting behavior, I can't resist noting that your description suggests that a brightness, contrast or color setting is too high on your TV.

12. skasol

skasol Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Thank you. I sincerely apologize about the double posting. I will make sure not to do that again. I have gotten a good amount of comments about it.

I checked my contrast, brightness and color settings. I also checked all the advance pro settings on the tv. I reset everything and I went back and played with it again. I happen to have the same tv in my bedroom. I will check the settings on that and match them with the one hooked up to the Tivo. I wanted to verify there was nothing wrong with the Tivo internally that was causing it to act that way. Maybe is time for new 4K TV’s but I had my pioneer elites for quite some time and they are amazing picture quality. If it was something to do with settings wouldn’t Netflix also display some of it as well? Same setting on the picture.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    It's really pretty simple: Next time you observe lack of detail in faces, try reducing contrast, color, brightness and see if details appear. Netflix could have different color and brightness levels. Maybe twiddle black level up or down too.

14. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    If your inputs are "common" then one HDMI input is the same as any other. Not all TV sets do that. But since I use an AVR, my TV only has one HDMI connection for my two Roamio boxes, Premiere, Roku 3 and Blu-ray. I admit that Amazon 1080p/24 looks much better than my cable (and sounds better too).

I'm not really ready for 4k. I will need a new AVR also. I know I could have a better picture if I went to 4k and a satellite with 1080p, but then I would have to give up my TiVo boxes. I'll wait.

15. skasol

skasol Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Yeah, it makes sense.

16. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    There have been posts about changing the settings on your TV. I know it's a very nice TV, but have you ever tried one of those cheap calibration disks from eBay? I use several TV sets and while I prefer Sony, I have Samsung, Sharp and LG. All have had some benefit from a rough calibration. Maybe I should say all have shown improvement after calibration. Just something to think about.

17. skasol

skasol Member

Apr 23, 2009
    Yeah both my TVs were calibrated first with the Avía dvd and then professionally with equipment.

I think for me what was interesting was that one Tivo was unplugged and a new Tivo was plugged in. Nothing else was changed, no tv settings, no Avr settings, just simply remove the hdmi and plug into new Tivo and the PQ is completely different and that’s why I thought I had a defective Tivo. The picture being soft is so annoying that I find myself only watching Netflix now.

18. JoeKustra

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    I understand. My eyes are old. Luckily, I still appreciate the sound. But there are several settings on my TV that are set to "auto". No way to predict how they will react to changes in input levels. I have three Roamio boxes, a Premiere and four Mini boxes. All look the same with the same content.

skasol likes this.
  19. skasol

skasol Member

Apr 23, 2009
    That’s really good. Wish I could say the same. I will mess with the tv settings when I get home but I doubt it will help with the softness of the picture

20. HerronScott

HerronScott Well-Known Member

Jan 1, 2002
    Staunton, VA
    Have you mentioned what your source is and if cable is it Comcast?

Scott