8.3 solved all of my speed issues!

Discussion in 'TiVo Series3 HDTV DVRs' started by astrohip, May 10, 2007.

1. astrohip

astrohip Well-Known Raconteur TCF Club

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...

Advertisements

Just got 8.3 this afternoon (pending restart), and of course, being the TiVo whore that I am, immediately forced a restart. Went to dinner, and came back to . . . SPEED!

Here are the speed issues I had:

* Search By Title. I think everyone knows about this one. It's fixed! Exactly the way it used to be, instant response. Quick as you click.

* Doing a "View All Wishlist" would take forever, 2 or 3 times as long to come up as my S2. Now it is extremely fast, less than a minute. I have about 40 WL.

* When you went in to a specific WL result, and viewed it, reversing back out to the main WL result screen caused a 20-30 second delay (with a blank screen--not even a "please wait"). Now it is instant, within a second.

* When I was on the Season Pass pages, and clicked on an individual SP, it would often take 10-30 seconds to come up. Then clicking on "View Upcoming Showings" would cause another delay. Now it is almost instant. The average SP only take 2-3 seconds to come up, viewing episodes is instant.

Every one of my speed concerns have been resolved. They obviously realized they had some bad DB code, and fixed it. Many thanks to the programmers, and TPTB, for doing this! :up:

BTW, I have about 30-35 SP, and the same # of WL. I am on cable, with 2 cable cards, and a full cable lineup (100's of channels).

I searched thru both S3 8.3 threads, and didn't see this mentioned, so I took the liberty of posting it in a new thread, since the speed issues were so common, for so many. I am truly surprised that no mention was made of the SBT fix, since this has been a big issue on this forum.

YMMV.

2. yunlin12

yunlin12 Tivonation Citizen

Mar 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA
    Thanks, mine is pending restart also. Looking forward to 8.3 very soon.

3. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    Most things seem much faster, but I found one thing that seems to be significantly slower: title searches with few (or no) matches.

Do a "search by title", and pick an obscure category, like "Sports/Curling". In the title, just put in "0". Normally Tivo will load the shows that meet that criteria, usually within 5-10 seconds. But, it seems like when you search for something that there are very few or no matches for, it takes a LOT longer than that. My "Curling" search gives me the "Please Wait" clock for about 1-2 full minutes for each character entered.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't nearly this slow previously. Has anybody else noticed this behavior?

4. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...
    The "Grid Guide" is much nicer and usable now with 8.3.1 than it was previously. I also like how the HD logos that appear next to the shows that are in HD appear instantly instead of after a few seconds like they did previously.

5. George Cifranci

George Cifranci TiVo Bolt 500GB - TE4 UI

Jan 30, 2003
    Columbus,...

Advertisements

Ummm... You mean this one that you responded to ? :)

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=349543

6. squiddohio

squiddohio Member

Dec 20, 2001
    Ohio
    I have not got my 8.3 yet, for some reason.

The speed problem I have noticed on the S3 was in search by time.

Although search by channel was very fast, search by time was 90 seconds a page.

Has this been fixed in 8.3?

7. sriggins

sriggins New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Browse BY Time - Favorite Channels is still unusably slow - 25-40s to show up on the first time slot you choose, and 30-40s to page up/down during the time slots

8. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Umm, brain fart? So excited about YaoMan I forgot to put brain in gear? That was three weeks ago. I can barely remember yesterday. :eek:

Seriously, I did forget about that post. But I hadn't seen several other speed issues addressed, especially the one about WishList speeds.

9. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    Curling? Maybe it's doing you a favor.

I'll check these out this weekend, and report back. If I remember. :D

10. TerpBE

TerpBE Go Terps!

Jan 23, 2003
    Philly 'burbs
    I wasn't actually looking for curling, I was looking for something else that only had a couple of matches, and it was slow. So I decided to try something that would probably have no matches (curling).

11. miller890

miller890 Member

Feb 15, 2002
    I think the S3 with 8.3.1 is now faster than the S2DT when searching. I noticed that Suggestions pop right away. Thank you TiVo!

12. DancnDude

DancnDude Thrice as nice TCF Club

Feb 7, 2001
    Madison, WI
    Boo stop dissing on the curling ;) I happen to have a wishlist for curling that records a few things a year. But I'm a curler here in Madison -- it's a much deeper sport than people realize.

13. mxfanatic

mxfanatic Member

Jan 20, 2007
    Channel Surfing is much more consistent now as well. Banner allways changes with no hesitation or repeats...

14. Diacritical

Diacritical Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Brooklyn...
    Browse by time with favorite channels selected is still unusable. Search by title is quite a bit snappier. Right now, it takes about 90 seconds for the first screen if I browse by time for the next night (8:00PM, eg) on favorite channels. Page down takes about 70 seconds. I have not used that feature (which I used to rely on heavily) since I got my S3. It sure would be nice if they fixed it.

15. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    I ran some tests . . .

* Search By Title, with no qualifiers, is almost instant.

* SBT with qualifiers--takes longer. The more restrictive,the longer. And the fewer hits, the longer. Sports took 1 second. Sports/BB took 3 seconds. Sports/Curling took 2 minutes, and had no hits.

* Search By Time, no qualifiers, instant. The more restrictive, the longer. But even with every restriction I could think of, it never took more than 6-8 seconds.

BTW, I had never used, nor even heard of, SBTime. Totally new feature for me.

What else don't I know? :confused: :rolleyes:

16. HORUS

HORUS New Member

Jan 14, 2007
    NJ

Anyone notice on their unit that when channel surfing with the arrow up and down that if you press it quickly that it will repeat and refresh the same channel quite often-slowing down channel surfing significantly? Quite annoying I might add.

17. sriggins

sriggins New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    I had this on 8.1, but 8.3 is super fast. Sometimes I get two channels vs one, but I am not sure if that is the TiVo or my Harmony 890 with RF extender.

18. Diacritical

Diacritical Member

Jan 10, 2003
    Brooklyn...
    Same here.

About the same here. Sports/BB took 5 seconds, Curling took about 20 seconds.

Except for curling, at two minutes, right? The frustrating one is Browse by Time with favorite channels -- one I used to use to setup a whole week at a time before travel. Try setting up 7 or 8 favorite channels (if you don't have them already) and browse by time for three days hence at 8:00PM on your favorite channels. The speed is atrocious. Try paging down through the listings for even more fun.

--

19. Welshdog

Welshdog Tivo this, punk!

Jan 3, 2005
    I'm seeing brief delays under these conditions, but nothing like whtat has been described here. Even curling only took 6-8 seconds. I only have regular cable and no Cable Cards so that might make a difference. Smaller amount of data for the S3 to sift through.

In general everything is nice and speedy. Channel changing is much better. Guide is excellent.

20. astrohip

Jan 6, 2003
    Houston/Bren...
    You misunderstood me. When I said nothing took longer than 6-8 seconds, I was referring to Search By Time (the paragraph where I made that statement). The curling was under SBTitle, and did take a couple minutes. I can only assume this is because I have a large channel list (100s+), and no hits.

(As I stated a couple posts above)--I've never used BrowseByTime. Why do you use it? I'm wondering what I'm missing out on. :confused:

Since 95% of my viewing is SP or WL related, I don't know how/why one uses the SBTime function. But I'm curious to learn.