750gb installed

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by y2khardtop, Sep 23, 2006.

1. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC

Advertisements

did it myself with a great deal from ebay ($240), and although it took 25hrs to transfer my original disc over, all is working great.

Now, if I could just get 6.3 to install!

2. sluciani

sluciani TiVowner Since '99

Apr 21, 2003
    Westchester...
    Congrats. How many hours of HD is your unit now reporting?

/steve

3. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    I did the same upgrade last week, but the transfer only took 5 hours. The backup and restore drives were on two separate IDE busses, which helped the speed. DMA enabled also.

Unit now shows 97 HD or 648 SD.

4. Adam1115

Adam1115 Well-Known Member

Dec 15, 2003
    Denver ish
    Wow, $240?? That's a great deal...

5. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC

Advertisements

The seller appearantly has a ton of them. Came in a nondescript container, but it was obviously new.

I'm also reporting up to 97hrs. I put the drives on separate chaines (primary master, secondary slave), but didn't check the dma.

Anyway, like I said, it was worth the wait.

6. jim_arrows

jim_arrows Member since 12/2000

Mar 4, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I'll be performing the same upgrade this week, would you mind posting the exact mfs command line you used? I've read so many different threads over the past week I figure it couldn't hurt to get it straight from someone who just performed a successful upgrade...

Thanks,
    Jim

7. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    Jim, I used:

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hdx | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdy

Took about 5 hours to copy. Using the -Tao preserves all settings, recordings, etc...

hdx is the old drive, where x is replaced with a,b,c,d, etc.. of the actual drive.
    hdy is the new drive, where y is replaced with a,b,c,d, etc.. of the actual drive.

8. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC
    here is mine. Original on primary master, new drive on secondary slave. I have no idea what any of this means, but it came from the tivo.upgrade-instructions.com site

mfsbackup -Tao - /dev/hda | mfsrestore -s 127 -r 4 -xzpi - /dev/hdd

9. rbreding

rbreding TiVo Nutjob

Dec 12, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Just so you know you guys will be screwed if the TiVo ever has to do a Green Screen MFS check.

The -s 127 references the swap file size of which 127meg is sized for a 250gig hard drive. The size required to do a MFS check so far has generally been accepted as 400meg on a 750gig hard drive.

And in order to initialize a 400meg swap file you will need to use tpip. Running the mfsrestore -s 400 will only create the swap file, not initialize it. Bug.

Good luck.

10. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta

I did some reading on the forums about that before the upgrade. Seems the basic idea is that if you get the Green Screen, the drive is probably hosed anyway. If anyone has any info how how often the green screen succeeds if it runs, I'd love to know.

11. rbreding

rbreding TiVo Nutjob

Dec 12, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    The green screen will run under certian conditions when the tivo is reset during database operations.

Better to have the swap space so it has the CHANCE to fix itself. As it stands if it does generate a green screen and can't fix itself you will lose all your recordings during a redo.

Like I said....good luck.

12. y2khardtop

y2khardtop New Member

Jul 31, 2004
    Albemarle NC
    that is why I kept my OEM drive. Can always start fresh later....

Guess I should have done more research, although I have no idea what a Green Screen is, and have never seen one.

13. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta
    I guess I can always re-backup/restore my stock drive to the 750gb.

Is the proper usage of tpip:

tpip -1 -s /dev/hdx ?

Thanks

14. rbreding

rbreding TiVo Nutjob

Dec 12, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Please reference the following post for more information from Jaime regarding the MFS_CHECK plus links for tpip..blah..blah...blah

15. Freightdog

Freightdog New Member

Aug 24, 2005
    Atlanta

Thanks for the link.

16. jim_arrows

jim_arrows Member since 12/2000

Mar 4, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    Thanks Freightdog & y2k for the commands you used, good to see they're both in agreement with what I'd planned to use. Have also read JamieP's "2 schools of thought" post on the additional swap space, I'll probably go ahead & create the larger swap since it's such a miniscule slice of these enormous drives, even though Jamie & PTV Upgrade both say the additional swap isn't necessary even with the larger drive. Hmm, now that I think about it maybe I won't bother, they know a lot more about this than I do...

17. Castaa

Castaa New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    San Francisco
    What no twin 750 GB drive action? I need 190 hours of HD storage! Otherwise I might as well be watching B&W TV. ;)

18. sync23976

sync23976 New Member

Apr 9, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    So I have copied my original HR10-250 drive to a new 500 gig drive and created a 400 meg swap file. I know I will have to initialize the swap file with tpip but my questions are:

Is the version of tpip on the PTV Universal upgrade ok? Will I have to boot in byteswap mode for it to work? I notice a lot of people here use the Weaknees cd and a seperate copy of tpip (not on the cd).

Do I need to replace the kernel with a different one in order for it to recognize the larger swap file or is the kernel for the 3.1.5 HR10-250 ok with the larger swap file. I may just start over with a standard swap.

Thanks in advance.

19. LlamaLarry

LlamaLarry Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 30, 2003
    Northern...
    Don't forget to use hdparm and enable DMA, that may be why it took you 25+ hours.