$7/mo Retention Plan - Any discount if we add a 2nd box?

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by aphexii, Aug 1, 2007.

1. Aug 1, 2007 #1 of 10
    aphexii

aphexii New Member

Sep 15, 2004
    I've been paying for my mom's Tivo (used to be my tivo back in 05, but when I called to cancel service, they offered $7/mo fixed until we cancel so i took them up on the offer and gave the box to my mom).

My question is, as i've been looking at getting the tivoHD, if i add it to the same account the $7/mo old tivo is on, will the new TivoHD qualify for the multi service discount?

2. Aug 1, 2007 #2 of 10
    OLdDog

OLdDog Reformed Druid

Dec 15, 2001
    I highly doubt they would allow that. In fact the two cannot even be on the same account unless they are at the same location.

So, unless you are living with you mother or the other way around, the two cannot be on the same account.

3. Aug 1, 2007 #3 of 10
    GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    No. To get the MSD you need a FULL PRICE subscription to be a qualifying unit, and the units have to call in from the same address.

4. Aug 1, 2007 #4 of 10
    classicX

classicX Don't scream.

May 10, 2006
    Miles away...
    What if a person has two or more homes, and a tivo in each. For simplicity's sake, let's say that they are all connected via broadband. Does the own qualify for any MSD?

5. Aug 1, 2007 #5 of 10
    GoHokies!

GoHokies! O2->CO2 Converter

Sep 21, 2005
    KFME
    No - from the MSD agreement:
    That being said, this isn't always enforced, I've not head of people getting "busted" for moving a Tivo with MSD to a different address, but I'm sure that it's happened.

6. Aug 1, 2007 #6 of 10
    cr33p

cr33p New Member

Jan 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor MI
    I have one of my old boxes over at my sister in laws on an MSD, its been calling in since January of this year with no problems at all.

7. Aug 1, 2007 #7 of 10
    aus1ander

aus1ander New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    Ssshhh! they're listening... ;)

8. Aug 1, 2007 #8 of 10
    Shanezam203

Shanezam203 Member

Jul 27, 2007
    Or Lifetime in my case.

I have Lifetime on a Series 2, and then Tivo on my HD for $6.95.

9. Aug 1, 2007 #9 of 10
    lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    TiVo does not enforce many of the contract rules they put out, if they did most of the Hard Drives upgraded TiVos would have their service stopped (unless done by an authorized TiVo dealer Ha Ha) I set up TiVos for friends at my home using my IP address and their ZIP, then when I set them up at their home I don't have spend time with the setup, TiVo would go nuts trying to stop people from doing this, they may have some monthly loss in income but they give people with a single TiVo the $6.95 rate, if they have to, so people moving TiVos in general do not hurt their revenue stream too much and MRV will not work except at the same address.

10. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    For MSD the first unit must be on a Qualifying Plan. As the First unit you have already is on a Special Plan, the TivoHD would not qualify for MSD. You would need to pay the Full price.

If the First unit was on a Monthly Full plan, then the TivoHD would qualify.

Also, the Tivo units on a plan are supposed to be in the same Home, but there are ways around that. If you have Two Homes etc, the Tivo CSR's can work something out for you, or theres the do it yourself option. ;)