7.2 Problem - Changing Channels??

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by michael480, Sep 29, 2005.

1. michael480

michael480 New Member

Feb 26, 2005
    I am still occasionally experiencing problems with changing channels on local TV channels on Directv. It will occasionally get stuck in a loop where when going through my local channels of 3,5,8,10,15,45,61; it will not go through the channels properly. Then when you try to go to channel 5, it will bring up the Directv channel guide, then when you try to change to one of the others it gets the video window stuck in the small corner.
    The temporary fix I have found that seems to work; is I have to go to Settings/Channels, and then Channel Changing, and reselect the Satellite Box, and let it retest. Then once it does this, it works fine.

I have a Sony SVR-3000 with a Directv Sony A65A connected via serial.
    I also have a new Tivo branded with a Directv Sony A65A connected via serial.

Both of these worked perfectly before the 7.2 update. Does anyone know if this problem will be fixed in an update?

I'll be going on a 2 week business trip, and I'm praying that my system doesn't mess up while I'm gone. This has been an aggrevating update.

(Why fix something that wasn't broken in the first place?)

2. jmr50

jmr50 New Member

Dec 27, 2003
    Since the 7.2 update, I've started having the same problem as described with the Sony unit with my Hughes HAH-SA ("Executive Director"). I've had this connected via serial cable for a while, and it's always changed channels perfectly. Now, what happens is that when I try to change to local channels, the video will go into the program guide mode (squeezed in the upper right corner) until I reset. This is VERY annoying. Anyone else experience this? Any hope of a fix on the horizon?

3. dpolivy

dpolivy New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm also seeing this behavior sporadically. It seems something changed in the latest update that causes the serial connection to my Hughes DirecTV box to do odd things--such as make the video go into the upper right corner (most likely invoking some sort of menu on the receiver which isn't being displayed onscreen), and also causing channel changing to totally stop working until I go through the channel changing setup again.

Is anyone from TiVo reading this? It's clearly a widespread issue--is it known and are you working on a fix? I guess I can always try calling tech support--but you know how tedious it can be to get past the level 1 folks who just follow the script.

4. annenoe

annenoe He's a Smooth Fox

Oct 19, 2003
    Mountain...
    Am on the phone right now w/ support and they are telling me it *is* problem caused by 7.2 release but only with some receivers (so problem is receiver, not my tivo box). Unfortunately, my A55 is one that won't work. Apparently this is a problem with all or most of the Sony boxes (they are sending a false positive response to the tivo box, i.e., tells tivo it has changed the channel when in fact it didn't)
    they are sending me IR cable but since I think they are totally worthless, I'm not sure what I'm going to do. will try it one more time...
    She claims it will be fixed in next software release.

BTW, good support, got in in under 5 minutes. Just one of those unforseen bugs but looks like they are working on it.

5. Stoystown

Stoystown New Member

Jun 13, 2002
    D'oh! - - Editied because I basically repeated everything in a post upstairs, and didn't read it first. - -

I'll just chime in here with a big "Me Too! Fix it please!"