7.2 killing my 810H

Discussion in 'DVD TiVo Units (Archive)' started by deadenders, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Sep 2, 2005 #1 of 96
    deadenders

deadenders Tivo User

May 10, 2002
    California
    My Pioneer 810H got the 7.2 upgrade last night. After the reboot it worked for about 15 minutes before glitching (freezing). At 1st I thought it was the Sat. signal. Switch TV inputs to view the Sat directly (I have one output to the TV, on to the Tivo) Sat was fine. By the time I switched back to the Tivo input the unit and completely frozen and would not respond to remote or anything. Pulled the plug to reboot. Now it locks up about every 15 mins or so. My Tivo is now useless. WTF??? Some upgrade.

2. Sep 2, 2005 #2 of 96
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    Have you upgraded the disk drive at all? If yes then the swap partition might be slightly too small. Typically this seems to manifest itself as problem booting, but it's conceivable that it could cause problems once the box was up and running.

If you haven't upgraded the box at all I'd suggest calling Tivo. The behavior your seeing isn't normal.

3. Sep 2, 2005 #3 of 96
    wgary

wgary New Member

Nov 22, 2003
    I haven't seen this with my Pioneer...

4. Sep 2, 2005 #4 of 96
    nigebj

nigebj New Member

Sep 8, 2004
    Nor I. This sounds like a HD problem. As TiVo swaps partitions when it upgrades, it could be you are now using a defective part of the disk ?? Not sure there's a way to force a service change, or a step back if TiVo thinks it went well. I'd assume you could ask TiVo to provide a service update again, which would switch it back to the good partition (assuming that is the problem). Might be worth asking.

Of course if, like mine, your TiVo is never usually rebooted - then you're in teh classic HD failure situation, boot time is when you find out about the issues you never knew were there!

5. Sep 2, 2005 #5 of 96
    deadenders

deadenders Tivo User

May 10, 2002
    California
    It is an upgraded disk. A 250 if I recall. Not sure (off the top of my head) about how to go about changing the swap size.

6. Sep 2, 2005 #6 of 96
    deadenders

deadenders Tivo User

May 10, 2002
    California
    Any chance this could have something to do with a serial connection to a Direct TV box? The drive has worked fine and through many reboots for at long long time without any trouble so if find it a bit hard to belive it's the swap file.

7. Sep 2, 2005 #7 of 96
    petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    There have been a few reports of limited swap space causing problems during a reboot. It's recomended that you allocate 1Mb per 1Gb of disk space, with the default being 128Mb, so you should have 256Mb on your 250Gb drive. With each release Tivo add new functionality which requires additional resources and it seems that some users that didn't increase swap space while upgrading were OK on earlier releases but 7.2 put them over the edge.

Of course it might be some other HD problem but it's certainly worth checking swap space first as some of the HOWTO guides ommitted this step. AFAIK the only way to rebuild the swap space is to redo the upgrade process.

8. Sep 3, 2005 #8 of 96
    Semco

Semco New Member

Mar 19, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I just got the message that I got TTG on my 810H but when I looked on the system page I'm still running 5.2. Hopefully I wont have the same issues that you did when I get the update.

9. Sep 3, 2005 #9 of 96
    settsu

settsu New Member

Jan 17, 2005
    I too got the message saying I now have TiVoToGo, but the Setup screen doesn't reflect the change TiVo says I should see (Account & System Info replaces System Info).

I was all excited for nothing... boohoo

10. Tivortex

Tivortex Cherished Member

Feb 29, 2004
    Colorado
    Ah ha! This explains why I had to specifically re-enable networking the other day, through a menu I've never seen before. I've got an upgraded 300GB drive, sure hope I don't start having the problems described here, 'cause I just can not deal with that kind of frustration.

11. Ba Boop

Ba Boop New Member

May 2, 2004
    Sugar Land,...
    You have to restart for upgrade to install. First thing I noticed is, it now lists the name of a DVD in the machine. Never did that before. It now see's my laptop and desktops transferred shows. Transfer from laptop back to Tivo. Wow!!! It really works. I have an upgraded HD and it seems fine so far...

12. warner

warner New Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Concord, CA
    I have the exact same problem with my Pioneer 810h also (upgraded to 250 hdd). Right after the 7.2 upgrade, it is freezing constantly. After reboot, it will freeze again after 5 or 10 minutes. Prior to this I did not have a single problem. Does anyone have a solution to this yet? Can I rollback to the pervious version? I have absolutely no use for TTG.

13. kerkules

kerkules New Member

Feb 15, 2004
    I've got the same problem in an upgraded (250 gig) 810. Can't record to DVD, causes it to freeze immediately. Also freezes after watching recorded or recording shows. Never had any problems before the update.

14. vanreuter

vanreuter New Member

Jan 17, 2004
    Manhattan...
    I have 2 810h's both with 300+ gig HD (from Weaknees) and only ONE unit is having this problem. Has anyone contacted tivo? Are THEY even aware of the problem? Are we 810H owners, who suffers through a year of crappy picture quality before a software upgrade, going to get the sh t end of the stick again? Are we the EDSEL owners of the 21st century?

GVB

15. unconnoisseur

unconnoisseur New Member

Dec 28, 2003
    Manhattan
    Well, I seem to have 7.2 problems on my Pioneer 810H, but they're different. No upgrades.

1. Consistently hangs for a very long time if I view another Tivo or my server and then left-click to return.

2. More than 50% of burns end with "internal error". It kills the DVD-R as well. Restarting doesn't seem to help. Power off/on seems to help until I trip over the problem again.

Has anybody seen this behavior?

-unc

16. JoshNJ

JoshNJ New Member

Nov 21, 2003
    I have the same issue on my upgraded-harddrive 810h. My unit worked perfectly fine before the software upgrade. Freezes like every 15-20 minutes.

17. petew

petew Active Member

Jul 31, 2003
    Pittsburg, CA
    I wrote this from memory and got the rule of thumb wrong, it's 1Mb of swap for every 2Gb of disk. So in theory for a 250Gb disk that would be 125Mb swap. Standard Tivo's have 128Mb which should be enough, however the DVD-recorder units have extra functionality so 128Mb may just not quite enough for a 250Gb disk. I don't own an 810H so I'm just analyzing the problem from my perspective as a software support enigneer, and it seems to be specific to 810H with 250Gb drives. So I'd suggest either using mfstools to rebuild your drive with more swap space or putting your old drive back and confirming that the 7.2 upgrade will work with a smaller disk.

18. dirtypacman

dirtypacman Coming and going

Feb 3, 2004
    MA
    No problems here with a non-upgraded 810H running 7.2

19. wander2166

wander2166 New Member

Jul 28, 2005
    This is crazy I also have a pioneer 810 with a 250 gig hd.I did not have any problems before this stupid upgrade.....I called Tivo and after waiting on hold for 20 min. they told me to call pioneer ,which I thought was crazy being the software is made by tivo. Anyways I called pioneer and the genius there I had two options either call tivo or erase all my settings formatting everything on the hd and re-install the update software.Nice choices .Now I am really pissed I call tivo back and sit another 20 min. on hold ,once a rep came on I explained the problem and they said to call pioneer so I told them what pioneer said.I asked them to explain to me how they can justify not having a fix and also charge me for a service I can't use.They said they were sorry....We'll guess what Tivo sorry doesn't cut it.
    Any suggestions ?
    Thanks

20. azitnay

azitnay Active Member

Jan 20, 2003
    Washington,...
    As the rest of this thread states, test your hard drive. It's most likely failing.

Regardless, when you cracked your case and upgraded your hard drive, you lost your right to complain to TiVo when something goes wrong.

Drew