1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

6TB Drive from Weaknees Storage Capacity Issue

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by rcandsc, May 5, 2018.

1. rcandsc

rcandsc Mark it 8 Dude.. TCF Club

Feb 5, 2014
    Liberty, MO.
    I have a Roamio Pro which I was attempting to upgrade with a single 6TB drive to expand storage capacity.

I received the drive from Weaknees, and installation was very simple and was back up and running within 20 minutes. When I went into system info after the installation, the capacity was listed only 251 HD hours, and not the 960 hours advertised on the Weaknees website.

I contacted Weaknees and they replaced the drive with no issues. I installed the new drive in the Roamio pro, and have the exact same issue. Now I think its not the drives but might be something with the TIVO unit.

Has anyone else had an issue similar to this, or have any thoughts as to what might be causing this issue?

2. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    It sounds like the Pro is reformatting the Weaknees drive. Are you on Hydra or the classic interface?

3. rcandsc

Feb 5, 2014
    Liberty, MO.
    Hydra.

4. UCLABB

UCLABB Well-Known Member

May 29, 2012
    Riverside, CA
    If you don't have anything you would mind losing, change to the old UI and see what it says.

5. ggieseke

ggieseke Well-Known Member

May 30, 2008
    You should be seeing roughly 960 hours on a 6TB drive. I've seen some posts recently that make me think that Hydra isn't playing nice with existing 'expanded' drive methods (MFSR or Weaknees). It seems to be OK if the system was already expanded and running, but I think that the auto-format may be triggering on new drives.

Try UCLABB's suggestion and revert to the old interface. If the Weaknees drive has already been scrambled you can run it through MFSR or ask for another replacement drive from Weaknees.

6. rcandsc

Feb 5, 2014
    Liberty, MO.
    I think I am just going to bag the idea of the expanded storage and just return both drives to Weaknees. The original drive works just fine, and it took just minutes to reinstall. I have a call into Weaknees as well, and will decide what to do when I hear from them. I'm not really up for the time investment to roll back to the old UI.

Thanks for the options and opinions. Much appreciated.