601e, 601f, 6022, 6023 ?

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by merlin, Sep 14, 2007.

1. merlin

merlin New Member

Jul 22, 2002

Advertisements

I have noticed that many of us are stating which TiVo model numbers we have....

I was wondering does anyone know what was the main differences were between them ?

Were they just configuration, hardware or software differences ?

Does it matter which one you have, after all once you have upgraded the disk and hacked your Tivo are they all the same ?

That's a lot of questions.... I think you know what I am asking.....

Cheers

2. manolan

manolan New Member

Feb 13, 2001
    LONDON, UK
    No real differences that I've seen. Some (older) models may have two hard drives rather than 1 (but roughly the same capacity before you get all excited) and later models may have had "the nicam fix" applied.

3. cwaring

cwaring VM Tivo User

Feb 11, 2002
    Knaresboroug...
    Yep. That's pretty-much it.

4. Pete77

Pete77 New Member

Aug 1, 2006
    Not Far...
    601E to 6024 are not different model numbers but merely different Hexadecimal number blocks that Tivo then allocated as Service Numbers with large gaps in the numbering between one Hexadecimal Service Number and the next.

However at a certain point in the production sequence they fixed the Nicam bug (only affects the on board analogue tuner) and then went from 30Gb + 15Gb drives to a single 40Gb unit when the price of what were then considered to be larger 40Gb hard drives reduced significantly.

But that was not exactly at the change from 601E to say 601F number sequence but merely as and when they decided to insert those changes in the production run. All Tivos were made by Thomson at a factory in Ireland in a total time period of probably no more than about 9 months between mid 2000 and early 2001. Tivos sold after that time came out of the existing stockpile of assembled and warehoused units given that the UK Tivo S1 did not sell nearly as well as Tivo had initially hoped would be the case.