60 Minutes

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by dmoney1429, Feb 18, 2007.

1. dmoney1429

dmoney1429 New Member

Jan 6, 2007

Advertisements

I was wondering if anyone recorded 60 Minutes on Feb. 18. If not do you know where I can download it. My boss is going to be upset because my tivo went crazy and didn't record it.

Thanks in advance.

2. JimSpence

JimSpence Just hangin'

Sep 19, 2001
    Binghamton, NY
  3. dmoney1429

dmoney1429 New Member

Jan 6, 2007
    Thanks. They are remodeling his house so I have to record shows for him. I'll check back in a couple days.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I've still got it on my TiVo.

5. Redux

Redux No intent to annoy

Oct 19, 2004

Advertisements

Is your company by any chance publicly traded? Or do you work for any level of government? If privately held, could you share with us the name of your company's majority owner? Thanks.

6. mwhip

mwhip All better

Jul 22, 2002
    Dallas
    They also offer 60 minutes on Yahoo! TV.

7. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    If it is the government, it is an illegal request unless he was just doing his boss a favor.

8. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    10 year thread bump!

NPR's Steve Inskeep is apparently doing a piece on Sunday's episode. Does he have any association with CBS News? I wonder if this will be a recurring role, like Anderson Cooper.

9. mrizzo80

Apr 16, 2012
  10. tvmaster2

tvmaster2 Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2006
    I remember when John (J.D.) Roberts was all but groomed to take over, and then CBS pulled the Katie card, and Roberts said 'bye' (think he's White House correspondent for Fox now). I wonder if he's back in the mix...

11. DG3

DG3 Active Member

Apr 7, 2015
    It's the one newscast I Tivo. Not for any particular reason. Maybe simply because I remember him from my days in Texas when he was reporting for a couple of local stations.

12. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I think 60 Minutes over the years have had a few guest reporters do stories. I guess they work freelance like many newspaper or magazine reporters do. Anderson Cooper I believe is now a "full time" correspondent. His name is mentioned during the opening credits.

I have no idea how reporters on 60 Minutes are paid (by the story? salary for the full timers?). It might be cheaper to pay someone freelance for a story they might already be working on.

13. GoPackGo

GoPackGo Well-Known Member

Dec 28, 2012
    AZ
    Steve Inskeep appears to be much younger than I always assumed he was.

14. mrizzo80

Apr 16, 2012
    MScottC likes this.
  15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    60 minutes is available as an audio podcast, with relatively few commercials/easily skippable ones (30 second skip a few times).

16. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    One of the mandates of Don Hewitt, the late creator of 60 MINUTES, had for the content of his show was that it must carry itself as a radio show. If the script/writing is not there, then the story isn't there. And his catchphrase was "Tell me a story." The pictures are only there to support the story.

Full disclosure, I do work for 60 MINUTES.

17. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I've always felt that 60 Minutes was different from other news magazine shows because it's exactly that. It feels more like a newspaper or magazine story even more than even a radio broadcast. I'm assuming this is why they never have graphics during stories (no name captions or location captions. They TELL you the person's name and SHOW you a picture of the building while telling you it's name). What you said explains a lot about the feel of the show. I think it puts you more in the story and it feels much more like investigative journalism than something sensationalized for TV.

MScottC likes this.
  18. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Though I'm guessing Don Hewitt was a Gen X-er born MANY decades too early (no attention span). I just heard the story today on the Reliable Sources podcast (They've started going a separate audio-only podcast from the weekly TV version that's also available as an audio podcast) that 60 Minutes' trial episode was a bunch of hour long documentaries cut into 14 minute segments!

19. MScottC

MScottC Well-Known Member

Sep 11, 2004
    I've heard the same, and it makes sense. At the time Don created 60 MINUTES, he had all but been tossed from CBS News. He had been a director and EP of the Evening News, he was responsible for much of CBS News's early creative process, directed the first Kennedy/Nixon Presidential Debate (even offered Richard Nixon makeup, which Nixon refused). But by 1968 he was pushed out to pasture wandering the halls. He offered CBS News management this idea for a news magazine... it was turned down several times and only picked up after a management shakeup. At that point he found Harry Reasoner and Mike Wallace, a few producers and some others and cobbled together a first episode. Those first few seasons the shows were every other week, bounced around the schedule, and had ratings that were very very low. The only reason it survived at that time was that the networks felt compelled to provide programming in the public interest. Half a dozen years later it found the Sunday evening time slot and took off like a bat out of hell.

mattack likes this.