60 Minutes OAD 12-15-19 (spoilers/discussion) -- Jews composing music in WWII concentration camps

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by Mikeguy, Dec 15, 2019.

1. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    60 Minutes devoted 2 segments tonight to a report on Jews incarcerated in WWII concentration/death camps composing genius works of music. The genius of the human creative spirit in the midst of a macabre circle of hell. One composer doing his work in the pathology lab where bodies would be dissected, another using the charcoal that he was given for his dysentery instead to write music on his supply of toilet paper. I couldn't keep my eyes on the segments entirely--it just was too painful.

2. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I thought the interview with the 90+ year old survivor who played strings in one of the camp orchestras was interesting. She played in an area close to the gas chambers and it was fascinating hearing he speak about playing while she knew what was going on there. How can you reconcile that in your mind. Do you become immune to it? Wash it from your head? I guess this is where your survival instinct kicks in.

3. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    In Hebrew School they told us that there were young people who were spared who played joyful music to entice and relax the doomed who were on their way to the gas chambers, but thought that they were taking a shower. The musicians apparently knew what truly awaited their "audience." Talk about reconciling. How could anyone live with that? I still think about that a lot. Messed me up as a kid.
    All I can say is God bless this man and his work.

Steveknj likes this.
  4. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    Southern CT
    They had camp orchestras? Probably a lot of stuff went on there that we haven't heard. Beside all the horror , that is.

5. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Musicians and orchestral groups in the holocaust death camps have long been known. An added element of Nazi macabre horror.