1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60 Minutes: OAD 11/25/18 Chaos on the Border, Robots to the Rescue, To Kill a Mockingbird

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Dec 2, 2018.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Anyone watch? The story on Fukushima was interesting.

2. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    listen to the podcast every week. (For me, I get 99% of the info/enjoyment from the audio podcast, in a more convenient form.. I tivo it as backup, since once in a while the podcast episode is accidentally clipped at the end.)

3. MScottC

MScottC Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    It's very interesting you say this. Don Hewitt, the creator of 60 Minutes, had one mantra for the show, "Tell me a story." For him, it was all about the writing, and as far as he was concerned, if the words didn't carry the story then the story failed. Pictures were there solely there because it's a TV show, but he also always said you should be able to listen to it on the radio and get the complete gist of what you were listening to.

As a technician who works on the show, I can tell you that producers and correspondents still debate and hash out not just every word in the broadcast but the inflection of those words as well. And they must all be verifiable and factually correct. It's just part of the DNA of the show.

cwerdna and Mikeguy like this.
  4. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Well, I do the same thing with Reliable Sources and 48 hours too.. Basically, almost any news/documentary type show.. that I can get on podcast and listen to at 2x.

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    There's a reason why they always called 60 Minutes a News Magazine. I watch, but I have listened to the podcast rebroadcast before, and generally you don't feel like you are missing much.