60 Minutes OAD 1/13/19 - Elijah Cummings, AI and Dr. Kai-Fu Lee, blind architect

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Jan 14, 2019 at 4:45 AM.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Was a pretty good ep, so far. I haven't gotten to the last story yet.

I knew of Kai-Fu Lee when he was at Microsoft but didn't follow what he'd been up to lately. Didn't know that he was in the VC space: Founder - Sinovation Ventures.

2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    On the Kai-Fu Lee AI segment, I couldn't help but think of U.S. education policy: the U.S. openly invites the people of the world to its universities and educates them, and then they return to their home countries to compete and potentially overtake the U.S., which is China's intent with AI. I can't help but wonder about that.

On Elijah Cummings, I couldn't help but think, how prophetic his first name seems to be.

cwerdna likes this.
  3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    What annoys me about your first point, is we openly bring in the world to study here, yet, we make it so difficult for our own people to study here, and then we wonder why often we cannot compete. Another thing that struck me is the fact that these dicatorships, because they don't have the regulations, and in fact have mandates for their people to focus on things like that, where free societies are always looking at it and stumbling for ethical reasons. It's one of the prices you pay for a free society. It reminds me of how the Soviet block used to dominate the Olympics because they can spend resources on their athletes to make them "full time" athletes while ours used to be amateurs in the truest sense (it's changed now that professionals are allowed to compete).

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
  5. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    What do you mean we make it so difficult for our own people to study here?

6. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I've long thought that we should offer in-state-tuition-plus-work-visa (for things like STEM degrees) for foreigners who come here to study. You can pay normal foreign tuition and go back home.. or get to pay the local rate IF you stay here and work in the field for some minimum number of years... and if you don't do that, you pay full tuition (and lose visa if you've only been here a short time).

Then the states can do the same thing with other state for out-of-state people (e.g. CA vs Minnesota or whatever).

7. MScottC

MScottC Active Member

Sep 11, 2004
    Without getting too political here, given the state of technology, a simple High School Education isn't going to cut it any more. Society has to provide advanced education to all Americans. It doesn't all have to be a 4 year college in the traditional sense. It can be 2 or 4 year trade schools, or college, depending on each person's abilities and potentials. Kids should not have to go in debt just to make a living wage. Advanced education, well that's a different story.

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Costs especially, the cost of a college education costs a small fortune. I think ANY foreign student, regardless of their tuition status should have to work here for x number of years. I know we can't do that, but I'd like to see it. I'd also like to see, as MScottcC mentioned some sort of free/reduced rate education for any American. Sort of a GI Bill for all. The GI Bill helped create the boom that was the 1950s in many fields. I'd like to see that any HS Graduate who has the ability and desire to go to college or a trade school, not have to go into debt to do so. This is especially true in this day and age where the type of jobs that HS Grads could get, in factories, as skilled workers that used to pay a decent wage are leaving the country.

9. logic88

logic88 Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Land Of...
    I thought foreign students were the lifeblood of many universities since they pay full freight?

10. mooseAndSquirrel

mooseAndSquirrel Well-Known Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    indeed.

OTOH, study abroad (e.g. Germany) is extremely cheap or free. Problem is our HS students aren't competent in foreign languages. A few years ago I audited a German class and marveled at the Chinese students at an American university learning German. How many American students are in Germany learning Chinese? I'd venture the guess of zero.

11. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Really? For me, it was the opposite: studying abroad (already speaking the foreign language) was the equivalent of attending and paying for private college in the U.S. (even though the study-abroad school was a state university), compared to my local school public university--the reason I only could afford a single semester abroad.

12. mooseAndSquirrel

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    A US university with a study abroad program?

13. madscientist

madscientist Deregistered Snoozer

Nov 12, 2003
    Lexington, MA
    Most universities I'm familiar with have study abroad options. Often they're not pushed, but at some universities a large percentage of the student body takes advantage. One thing though: if you're in the sciences there's often a restriction that you have to go to an English-speaking country like Australia, England, etc. My daughter studied in Dublin for a semester. It's simply too difficult for US students to take science courses in other languages and in a four-year program it's very rare to be able to carve out an entire semester without core courses and still graduate on time.

Some friends of ours were abroad for their first semester freshman year... because they didn't have room in university housing so they shipped off a bunch of kids to England!

I agree that study abroad is NOT cheaper (at least, not in my experience).

14. mooseAndSquirrel

Aug 31, 2001
    Whatsamatta U
    Attending a European university is not the same as study abroad programs offered by a US school. University of Mannheim, for example, has a 1500 Euro tuition per semester. It used to be free.