60 Minutes - Google, Theranos and The Spotted Pig OAD 5/20/18

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, May 21, 2018.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA

Advertisements

Discuss. :D

I've finished the Google and Theranos stories. I'd heard about the fraud at Theranos and fall of the company for quite sometime as it came up a fair amount in the tech and investment press.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
  2. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Saw uber-venture capital investor Tim Draper yesterday morning on a news show, who was defending Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes up the wazoo--he was an early investor. Based on the info. in the "60 Minutes" report, it sounds like he was hoodwinked like many others, and now still is fighting against that conclusion or does not want to admit it (as a matter of his profession?).

3. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Nothing really new about Google. Any of use who are familiar with Google and read any type of tech articles know what Google does. They are at this point in the "too big to fail" category because of their influence. So nothing they said was news to me.

As for Theranos, I had never heard about this, but it also feels like dozens of other similar stories. Person has a great idea, gets funding, turns out the idea doesn't work as expected and they try and cover it up with all kinds of fraud once they get in too deep.

And on the Spotted Pig, none of this surprises me. Again, over the last year, we've heard hundreds of similar stories. This one is REALLY not any different than any of the others we've heard, Weinstein, Cosby and so forth. Man in power thinks he can get away with anything he wants because he's got the hammer over his subordinates. They fear what happens if they snitch, so they don't, until they are enabled to do so. I'm honestly not sure why 60 Minutes chose to report on this story. There's nothing "special" about it. It's essentially the same as all the others. I'm trying to make this into nothing, but the story is nothing different than any of these other stories. Lock these people up so they can't do this crap anymore.

4. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    theranos is now worthless, following it's highest valuation of $10 billion, and she's still ceo - how?

5. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005

Advertisements

A good question--no one at the company wants to touch it? And when does the criminal indictment come down (currently under investigation), for fraud, et al.?

6. sharkster

sharkster Well-Known Member TCF Club

Jul 3, 2004
    NV
    I mostly just watched the Spotted Pig piece. Wow, there was some stuff in there of which I was not aware. I don't know anything about the other guy but Batali has always creeped me out to the nth degree. What really got me were the bits about possible drugging of women and proceeding on while they are unconscious. I thought Mario was creepy but I never imagined that level of creepy. ugh

7. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    These stories all seemed pretty old to me. Was it really an all new episode?

8. Regina

Regina I've got Jewbs!

Mar 29, 2003
    Indiana
    I want to know who is still giving Theranos money! They mentioned how the company is running out of money and I thought, "Yes, that's because the product doesn't work and the CEO has been exposed as delusional..."

As for Mario Batali, duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude! I had heard he was looking into a comeback-NOPE!

9. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    I presume you mean Press Here. It's available as a podcast (that's how I watch it, while tivoing it as a backup), and at Pressheretv.com

It's basically a tech version of Meet The Press.

Mikeguy likes this.
  10. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    How did Google get so big? is dated May 21, 2018.
    In terms of what Google knows, their dominance and their business practices, yeah, most of that wasn't news to me.

However, the piece did feel pretty biased and US/Europe-centric. Some of their figures felt way exaggerated. Google couldn't have any significant presence in China (for instance) since they and all their properties (e.g. YouTube) are blocked by the Great Firewall. AFAIK, Baidu is the Google of China. China has over 1.3 billion people and over 300 million middle class. We only have ~325 million in the US.

AFAIK, Google isn't in dominant in say South Korea. I've seen some sources say Naver is the dominant there. Search engines around the world claims Yandex has 54.8% of Russia's search traffic.

Example of figures I'm talking about from How did Google get so big?:
    The above figures seem hard to believe unless you exclude China, where Google's blocked.

I was a bit annoyed they talked to Stoppelman of Yelp. They have a shady reputation. A guy at my work (IIRC) mentioned he'd worked at Paypal when Stoppelman was there and said he was a bit shady. Will need to confirm with him.

Last edited: May 22, 2018
  11. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    All true, but for now, it's the US that still drives the internet. China has their own security issues and obviously keep their own tabs on their people, and much more nefariously. I'd still contend that if Google shut off their servers tomorrow, the internet would come to a grinding halt (sure, it would still be functional, but for how most people use the internet, at least for the public internet, it would cause lots of pain).

As fir Stoppleman yeah, I felt he had an ax to grind. Google is ramping up it's own reviews and it's in the forefront of every restaurant search. He might be personally shady, but not sure how shady Yelp is or not. I don't use it often enough to feel that way.

12. ADG

ADG Allan

Aug 19, 2003
    New Jersey, USA
    Because the company is private - it's her company.

13. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
  14. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
  15. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    Hey, that's the same as the MoviePass people.

(joking)

16. cwerdna

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    About a year before Yelp's CEO: No, we're not the Mafia came out (well, more specifically the East Bay Express piece), a friend of mine (who I knew from college, was a roommate for a year and I attended his wedding) told me how Yelp was shady. He said they contacted his wedding photographer basically wanting to sell (marketing) services. She declined and then positive reviews started disappearing.

When the above story broke, I asked him to tell me the story again. He told me the same thing.

After the above, I've also heard other reports of small businesses complaining of their mafia-like practices.

Ever since that, I rarely ever make significant decisions to visit a business based upon Yelp ratings. I certainly don't seek out ones with high ratings and I don't believe I've contributed a single Yelp review. I told one of my friends about this who was a heavy Yelp reviewer and suggested she stop spending her time writing reviews. She ignored my advice. I just don't wish contribute my time and energy to a shady operation.

The idea is great. The company... not so sure about them.

17. pdhenry

pdhenry Ruthless

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Coincidentally (?) ABC announced today that they will be cancelling The Chew, which had featured Batali until the news first broke about his misbehavior.

18. Mikeguy

Jul 28, 2005
    As was predicted could/would happen:

Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes and former president Balwani charged by feds with wire fraud

Regina, cwerdna and NorthAlabama like this.