60 Minutes 9/25/11 - fighting terrorism in NYC, murder of American Nazi, South Park

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Sep 26, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Does anyone here watch 60 Minutes? Perhaps there should be a thread dedicated to discussing all eps or maybe one per season? I have a SP and usually watch the pieces that interest me.

Unfortunately, I missed the previous 9/18 and 9/11 eps due to a weird SP glitch/guide data change/problem.

All the pieces on the 9/25/11 were quite good. The part about the UN reminded me of a Secret Service Files ep on NGC (http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/series/secret-service-files/3623/Overview).

2. highwire

highwire Active Member

Jan 14, 2001
    Ottawa,...
    2000 security cameras, and soon to be 3000. Looks like New York is quickly catching up to London (heck, all of England) - they've been a surveillance state for decades because of the IRA. New York's combined terrorist squad + civilian employees is greater than all of Canada's soldiers - army, navy, and air force combined!

3. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    And apparently the NYPD has the tactical ability to take down an aircraft if necessary. :eek:

4. jsmeeker

jsmeeker Notable Member TCF Club

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    I so want to see Book of Mormon. I've always liked the way Matt and Trey have had fun with the LDS church on South Park.

5. sieglinde

sieglinde Active Member

Aug 11, 2002
    Sebastopol, CA
    Good episode. As a Californian, I was very familiar with the story about the neo-Nazi being killed by his son. I don't care if the guy was a Nazi, the kid sounds like a psychopath. There is no way we can keep him in custody past the age of 25. The NYPD segement was impressive. I have mixed feellings about the surveillance state. Since dissidence can be expressed privately on the internet and other types of communication, I still think you can be anti-government etc. as long as you are non-violent but I wonder if this would have been used against dissidents if it had existed in the past. As for South Park, I really want to see that play also. Living where I do, I will wait for the movie. :)

6. MikeMar

MikeMar Go Pats

Jan 7, 2005
    Boston...
    Me too, we were going to take a trip down to see it, but BAD tickets were going for almost $300 a pop!!!

We can wait for it to come to Boston for cheaper in some years.

Was the South Park part good, worth tracking down and watching?

7. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    The South Park thing really wasn'tanything new if you have seen profiles on Matt and trey before and have seen a piece on the Book of Mormon before. The shows been running several months now. There was a lot of tal kabout it when it opened.

But sure, if you are a fan, track down the segment.

8. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Funny I watched this and all i could think of was the new CBS show, Persons of Interest. This seemed like the perfect promotion for it.

I agree, all the stories were intriguing this week. The story about the kid killing his Nazi father was just REALLY creepy. I kind of thought it interesting when the Nazi's mother said, we are conservative Republicans and the country needs more of those. Hmmmm.....not if their kids grow up to be Nazis. There was a creepy side to her too....like a part of her condoned her son's views but she couldn't say it on TV.

And being a SP fan, loved the story about Parker/Stone. Seems like the first two stories would be perfect fodder for SP.

9. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    dum dum dum dum dum :D

10. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    That was the part that shocked me.

11. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Well we do know that Hoover (FBI Chief for those too young to remember), had sent in people to infiltrate the anti-war / hippie movements in the 60s, and Nixon may or may not have ordered it. So yeah, if the technology existed back then, I have NO doubt it would have been used by the Feds at least.

12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I haven't had a chance to look, but supposedly they did an online segment on how they created an episode of SP in 6 days, which is the norm. That might be interesting to watch.

13. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    It didn't shock me...and it could be a bluff too. Get the terrorists thinking...

14. jsmeeker

Apr 2, 2001
    Dallas
    Yup.

It was also proclaimed as the correct choice in the Golden PSP epsiode. :D

15. busyba

busyba The Funcooker

Feb 5, 2003
    NYC
    You think a terrorist would be dissuaded from hijacking an aircraft by the belief that the NYPD might shoot it down?

16. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    Anti-aircraft batteries on rooftops and atop all bridges......cool!!

17. WhiskeyTango

WhiskeyTango New Member

Sep 20, 2006
    New Jersey
    If only it was that cool. Reportedly, but unconfirmed, to be a Barrett .50 caliber rifle that can be attached to NYPD helicopters.

18. zalusky

zalusky Well-Known Member TCF Club

Apr 5, 2002
    Cupertino, CA
    Just saw it! On 9/11 of all days. Wonderful! We bought Orchestra tickets just before the Tonys for $140 each.

My wife was panicked just before with all the threat news and was almost considering skipping the NY part and just going on our New England cruise.

So glad we let that pass. Times Square was packed. Cops everywhere with rifles. Barricades narrowing streets in and out of Timse Square and other areas. Even got to see the glass Apple store.

I was disappointed in NY hot dogs(Papaya King) though. Mushy and no snap like a Chi-dog.

Got to go back.

19. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    60 Minutes has a free audio podcast.

That's how I've been consuming it lately. I still TiVo it, but usually don't bother to go back and watch the video.

20. Wil

Wil Unknown Member

Sep 26, 2002
    I live in a cave, I guess, 'cause this meant nothing to me when I ran across a cam file of it a few weeks or so ago. I watched it and I figured it was a cute little off/off Broadway thingie, a very affectionate send up of musical conventions, I thought, rather than any kind of notable satire on religion. I enjoyed it very much.

Now that I find out it was supposed to be something, I'm much less impressed.