1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

60 Minutes 4/15/18 - Allegiant Air, Salesforce.com gender pay gap

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Apr 17, 2018.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    Anyone else watch this ep?

I've never taken Allegiant Air and will avoid them based upon that story. Didn't know they seemed to have such a broken safety culture and that their CEO, Maurice Gallagher was a co-founder of Valujet. :eek::rolleyes:

I haven't gotten to the story on Salesforce.com yet.

Mikeguy likes this.
  2. fmowry

fmowry Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    I watched. Good episode. Yeah, I'll never fly Allegiant. The Salesforce story was good too.

3. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    I hadn't heard of all their in-air issues, but I know several people that have had huge delays with them.

Just last week, a friend was supposed to fly from St Pete to Indianapolis and their flight just kept getting pushed later and later until she finally cancelled her trip because she was going to miss the event she was flying to. Then, even though she cancelled, on her scheduled day to return to FL, she was notified that flight was delayed from 6:30 to 11:30. Don't know if it actually left by 11:30 or not.

My boss used to fly Allegient from Cincinnati to Las Vegas a lot. But his flights were increasingly delayed on almost every single trip. He would often not be at work on Monday because he couldn't get back from Vegas on time.

I wouldn't fly Allegient based solely on all the delays, let alone the actual in-air issues.

4. pdhenry

pdhenry Rock or Something

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    We flew Allegiant to Myrtle Beach once. It was just OK. Next time we drove.

I think Veterans get free seat selection, boarding pass printing, and 3 checked bags on Allegiant, for what it's worth. It could still be a little hassle since they talk about refunding fees in some cases rather than just making it free up front.

5. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I would never fly Allegient after watching that. It's actually really scary and I watch that and wonder how soon before they actually have a major crash. I do also wonder, based on how they describe the FAA how other airlines are doing as well?

As for the Salesforce story (essentially about #MeToo), when the story began, I thought they were going to skewer the company (it didn't help that their CEO / founder looked a bit Steve Bannon sleazy), but as it turned out, the CEO really did something about the inequality in pay and is serious in fighting causes like that. The company is one of the best companies to work for (we use them for a lot of things at my job).

6. pdhenry

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    A friend of mine had just flown from upstate NY to FL on Allegiant Sunday. He thinks the 60 Minutes story was a hack job. :rolleyes: I've chosen not to engage.

7. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Based on what? That he's had no issues?

Allegient is now claiming the information in the story is based on old news and they've since fixed the issues (they supposedly have a newer fleet...I was actually a bit surprised they were flying MD80s. That's like 1960s tech.

8. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    Both stores were really good. Allegiant has a major presence out here but I've heard so many horror stores (not mechanical issues) but about delays, cancellations, and nickel & diming....that I've never flown them.

I'm not sure how the story could be a "hack job"...the data is the data and I thought they said it was from sometime in 2016 and going a year. I wouldn't consider last year's safety data as outdated.

Steveknj likes this.
  9. pdhenry

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    Yeah, I think his only rationale is "I've never had to evacuate, or crashed and died, why is the clueless media being so hard on them?"

The biggest issue with me is that their two-flights-a week scheduling means that you're screwed with any equipment issues. Their apparent emphasis on cost over passenger safety sort of seals the deal. I still remember ValuJet (never flew with them, but they were available out of BWI).

10. markz

markz Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2002
    Connersville...
    Same here, I have had too many friends experience delays that I won't fly them, and wasn't aware of the in-flight issues.

11. gschrock

gschrock Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    (First, I'm not defending Allegiant, i wouldn't take them at all myself).

MD-80's debuted in 1980. The last of the MD-88's were delivered in 1997. So they're hardly 1960s tech (well, you could probably make an argument that any aircraft from that time period is still really 1960s tech I suppose). They are relatively fuel inefficient these days, so a lot of the major operators have retired a lot of them, but both Delta and American fly a fair number (Delta's the largest operator of them). Delta also operates a bunch of MD-90's. The MD-88's are supposed to be out of Delta's fleet by about 2020, largely because the maintenance costs are getting too high (I think there's only one place that still does service on the engines they use).

Course, I'm not entirely sure that the 737-900's that seem to replace them are necessarily a major improvement in terms of comfort for passengers with they way they're cramming the seats together.

12. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the info. For some reason I always thought that the MD-90 were just rebadged DC-8s which I flew in in the early 1970s. I guess they are closer to DC-9s as per Wikipedia.

13. gschrock

gschrock Member

Dec 27, 2001
    holt, mi
    I think the MD-90 is basically a slightly longer md-88 with different engines on them. From inside of one, you're probably not going to tell the difference unless you start counting rows.

14. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    That's the biggest problem I've heard (didn't watch this episode). From the airport in Mesa, AZ, they fly to several locations where they are the only passenger airline flying in or out of that location. And since they often only have a couple flights a week to/from those locations, if there's a problem, you aren't just delayed for a few hours. You could be stuck for a few days.

pmyers likes this.
  15. mrizzo80

mrizzo80 Well-Known Member

Apr 16, 2012
    I'm failing to spot the problem he had with this. :)

lalouque, markz and cwerdna like this.
  16. mattack

mattack Well-Known Member

Apr 9, 2001
    sunnyvale
    They've got to be better than Jackpot Airlines.

(joke, referring to LA->Vegas sitcom on now.)

17. Mikeguy

Mikeguy Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2005
    Shades of a recent Sun Country (specializes in flights from warm areas from/to Mpls./St. Paul): due to a blizzard, it cancelled the last flight of the season from Mexico to Mpls./St. Paul, and didn't have an extra plane to send down as a replacement (its explanation), leaving its return flight customers stranded in Mexico and having to fend for themselves. Shameless.

18. Old Hickory

Old Hickory Member

Jan 13, 2011
    I've flown Allegiant once, several years ago, into/out of Hollywood, FL. I thought it was fine. Cheap. Smaller airports. What's not to like?

I would never base a decision on a CBS News broadcast. The very same CBS News that employed Dan Rather.

19. pmyers

pmyers Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Gilbert, AZ
    ok but FAA reports are FAA reports, no matter who requests them. Right?

cwerdna likes this.
  20. ThePennyDropped

ThePennyDropped Now I get it.

Jul 5, 2006
    Northeast US
    I know. And that Walter Cronkite, too!