60 Minutes 1/15/12: Groupon, Qatar, child prodigy

Discussion in 'Now Playing - TV Show Talk' started by cwerdna, Jan 16, 2012.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Proud Tivolutionary

Feb 22, 2001
    SF Bay Area, CA
    I'm still surprised there are so few 60 Minutes threads here given that I've seen its Nielsen ratings in the top 10 numerous times.

The 1/15/12 ep was definitely one of the better ones.

I was amazed by both the story on Qatar and the child prodigy. It does seem like prodigies that have been shown on 60 Minutes before tend to have some form of autism.

2. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    I wonder whether the expatriate workers in Qatar are entitled to all of the freebies.

3. mm2margaret

mm2margaret Meagan

Dec 7, 2010
    northern...
    I was stunned by the kid. That's one incredibly smart kid!! Holy Cow, the next stage of evolution is here - it's fully functional autistic humans, with super brains!

4. Steveknj

Steveknj Lost in New Joisey TCF Club

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    I was thinking the same thing. I was also curious as to Qatar's stance on Israel, but they kind of just glossed over it. And those buildings just looked like a bad Sim City :)

5. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The thing about him, is that not only was he smart, but very well spoken. They did make mention of him speaking like an adult. As a parent, I couldn't imagine someone that smart at such an early age. I mean, monitoring college classes at 8? Holy cow!!

6. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Let me know how many child prodigys of 20 or so years ago are really famous and well know right now.

Betcha can't name more than 1 or maybe two!

Seems that many child prodigys have a way of slowing down to normal when they reach adolescence!

7. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    The guy they made the movie about...A Beautiful Mind. I guess he would qualify as famous.

There have been musical prodigies, but I just don't follow them close enough.

8. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    "The guy" doesn't qualify as a name of a child prodicgy!

That's exactly my point!!!!!!!!!!!!

9. flyers088

flyers088 tcf junior member

Apr 18, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Some ones that come to mind are

Ted Kaczynski
    Jean Piaget
    John Nash

10. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    Except for The uni-bomber, whom, I would NOT consider a child prodigy...........smart.....but far from a prodigy, I have no idea who the other two are, and likely MOST people don't either.

11. omnibus

omnibus cowboy, yee-ha

Sep 25, 2001
    Lost in Wyoming
    I think the kid mentioned himself that he can't find stuff around the house. There are probably other common tasks he fails at that are a tradeoff for his math brilliance.

12. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Wasn't that Asian guy from the show "Heros" a child prodigy?

If I were those people in Quatar or any of the Arab Emirites I would just go buy up huge swaths of real estate someplace nice like in Europe or the US. With all of that money they could buy up a good portion of Manhattan or London. Then when the oil runs out you can get out of the dusty desert and move someplace nice.

13. Aniketos

Aniketos Active Member

Mar 6, 2006
    You, and other laypeople, might not have heard of them, it doesn't mean their contributions to their fields are not well known.

14. DeDondeEs

DeDondeEs Well-Known Member TCF Club

Feb 20, 2004
    Las Vegas, NV
    Yeah our society doesn't tend to celebrate people who actually make meaningful contributions. I always like what Howard Stern said. If doctors and researchers were treated like celebrities with riches, fame, and the ability to attract hot women/men, cancer and AIDS would have been cured long ago.

And what is up with that Groupon business model?

15. ciscokid

ciscokid Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Tampadelphia...
    THAT was, in essence What I said. No more, no less!

I didn't say ANYTHING about their contributions. All I said is NOBODY knows them, once they grow up!

Any usually it's because they fail to continue to perform at advanced levels.

16. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    Of course guys like Howard Stern are the exact OPPOSITES of why these types of folks don't get famous. We are too busy celebrating inane jerks like Stern or Charlie Sheen, AND giving more and more to University Sports programs instead of science research. Think we have our priorities a bit skewed? And I'm just as guilty being a huge sports fan and celebrating my favorite teams' success.

Of course, if these types of people became famous, you have to wonder if their commitment to getting their research done would wane somewhat.

As for Groupon, I've never found ONE thing I've seen on their worth buying. I am in the camp that thinks in 3 years, Groupon will be another of those dotcom fads. If I was the CEO, I'd be cashing out now while it's at it's zenith.

17. Steveknj

Mar 10, 2003
    New Jersey
    How do you know they USUALLY fail to continue? If your first point is they lack fame once they grow up, then how do you know that they aren't successful at their given talents? In this country unless you are a sports, entertainment or political star, nobody knows who you are anyway, unless you happen to be a self promoter like Steve Jobs or Bill Gates. How many people even know who the 500 hundred top paid CEOs are? Or the 500 richest men? Or the 500 top medical researchers? Unless you are interested in that field, you wouldn't know, child prodigy or not.

I would BET that the majority of the top performers in most major symphony orchestras were prodigies, in that at an early age, their talents came out.

18. pdhenry

pdhenry Recumbent

Feb 27, 2005
    PA
    There's practically no barrier to entry. The only defense I remember from 60 Minutes is that Groupon has really good ad copy.

19. Frylock

Frylock Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Just West...
    Excelling in one's field does not mean that they would be well known outside of their field. If they became some amazing mathmetician, or Doctor, or whatever, would anyone outside of that field know?

"Famous" people these days are idiots on the news or people who make sex tapes. I don't think their not being famous implies they "slowed down". More likely, the interest in super-smart adults isn't that great. It's not a great story. It is when they are 8, but not 28.

20. DevdogAZ

DevdogAZ Give 'em Hell, Devils

Apr 16, 2003
    Arizona
    It just depends on what you're looking for. I've found several deals on Groupon that have been very handy. Just last weekend I used a Groupon that was $7 for $15 of food at Smashburger. My wife and I both got full, and what normally would have been close to $20 was instead just over $10.

Here's my Groupon question: Since most of the retailers offering Groupons give approximately 50% discounts, and then they only receive about half of the price paid, meaning that the retailer is only receiving about 25% of the retail value of the product purchased, has anyone ever tried contacting the retailer directly and seeing if they'll split the difference? For example, if a restaurant is offering a $20 Groupon for $10, and the restaurant is only going to get $5, would the restaurant be willing to give you a $20 gift certificate for $8 or maybe $25 for $10 if you contact them directly?