6.3e keeps changing my aspect ratio

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by DoubleAK, Aug 24, 2007.

1. DoubleAK

DoubleAK New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Broomfield, CO
    The vertical bars on SD programs shown on HDTV's annoy me, so I set my Toshiba RP HDTV to stretch the display to fill the screen (called Theater Wide by Toshiba). This worked fine until my unhacked Samsung SIR-S4080R Dtivo that was updated to 6.3e-01-2-381 last night. Since then, all new recorded programs and live TV revert to the standard 4:3 ratio whenever it is played.

If I play a program that was recorded prior to the update, it will correctly display in Theater Wide mode. All Tivo menus fill the screen as well. But when I select Watch Live TV or play a program that was recorded today, the screen reverts to its natural 4:3! I can manually set the TV back to Theater Wide, but the setting will not stick. The next time I go back to the program, it will again switch back to 4:3. When I press Left on the remote to return to NPL, the screen returns to Theather Wide.

Again, the problem is definately being caused by 6.3e, because the problem didn't begin until the update, and programs recorded prior to it work fine.

OTA HDTV and SD programs also display correctly.

Anyone else seeing this problem or have any idea what can be done about it?

2. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    I don't have an HD DVR, but, just off hand, I think that it's likely that the re-set, rather than the software update itself, changed settings back to a default. Go into the settings of your DVR and see if there isn't something that needs to be done there to bring you back to where you were.

3. DoubleAK

DoubleAK New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Broomfield, CO
    Thanks for the advice, but it doesn't look like that's the case. The only setting I could find is the aspect ratio setting until Settings, which is already set at 16:9. I've heard that setting doesn't make a difference anyway.

And again, the problem only occurs on programs recorded since the upgrade. If I go back and watch an older recorded program, everything appears fine. So I don't think its a settings issue.

It seems as if the 6.3e software is setting a flag on new recordings that asks/forces/tricks the TV into thinking it's supposed to be displayed in its natural 4:3 mode, overriding its default display setting. While I can manually change this while watching the program, the flag on the program will reset the display again the next time I play it.

BTW, its not a HDTV DVR, just a plain ol' 80GB S2 model....

4. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    Okay. Sorry I couldn't be of more help either. I'm still working on my 27" Sony myself. That's what I get for having an accountant for a wife! :D

It may well be the upgrade but I haven't seen anyone else post about it here so I'd be surprised. I suppose that there might be an interaction between the new software and a certain brand or type of TV.

Who knows? I hope someone else does. :)

ps. And I now see that if I had read your posting a little more carefully, I would have known it was an SD TiVo. Sorry about that.

5. Lsollee

Lsollee New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    El Mirage, AZ
    I'm having the same problem on my Toshiba with a Samsung SIR-S4040R . I didn't notice it until after the update.

6. jimbop99

jimbop99 Member

Sep 27, 2004
    Kentuciana
    I also have a toshiba. Go into the Toshiba menu and change the auto aspect ratio to off. This will solve that problem but when you watch a wide screen DVD you will have to manually change the TV to "full".

7. DoubleAK

DoubleAK New Member

Sep 18, 2003
    Broomfield, CO
    jimbop - you're right, that did the trick. thanks!!
    sadly I now have to manually change the ratio everytime I switch to a DVD or X360... sigh.

Everything was working perfectly until this 'update'.

8. dtremain

dtremain New Member

Jan 4, 2004
    New Jersey
    If I were you, I would say something to Directv. Maybe they will create some sort of patch to resolve the issue. I should think that a reasonably large number of people have Toshiba sets and might have the same problem.

9. megory

megory Advanced TiVoOligan

Jan 22, 2003
    Spectrum,...
    Possible philosophical lesson:

Just because it hasn't been reported before, doesn't mean there is no problem.

Someone has to be FIRST to report it. :D :D