6.3b murdered my HR10-250

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by designr, Jan 26, 2007.

1. designr

designr Member

Nov 16, 2002

Advertisements

Yes. That's right. MURDERED!

It was working just fine with 3.1.5x for just over a year -- maybe a few audio dropouts. Then I got 6.3a and it worked OK -- maybe it rebooted itself once in a while. Then, last night I got 6.3b -- and the dreaded:

"Please insert your access card ; Receiver = 0003 XXXX XXXX"

Before the upgrade from 6.3a to 6.3b, it worked. But, the very moment the 6.3b upgrade was foisted upon my poor, innocent HR10-250, it died -- dropped over dead!

I OWN this piece of equipment. I paid for it. It is NOT hacked or upgraded or modded in any way. I didn't request an upgrade from D*TV. D*TV just pushed a defective upgrade onto my box.

A new Access Card ("it's in the mail") may or may not fix the problem. If the new Access Card doesn't resurrect my Tivo, I may or may not have to pay to get a third-rate inferior substitute, the HR20-700S (does the "S" stand for Sh*t?). Or, I may have to buy my own hard drive and install a clean system on it.

Given the lousy attitude of the 3 people I spoke to at D*TV ("it's your own tough luck"), I wonder if it isn't time to dump D*TV altogether. My feeling is that they broke my Tivo thus abrogating our 2 year service contract.

Can you tell I'm a little perturbed?

Any thoughts?

2. rminsk

rminsk TiVoted TiVo User

Jun 4, 2002
    Marina del...
    6.3b has not been know to screw up access cards so the software may not be defective. What version of the access card did you have? Just wait for the new access card and tell us what happened.

3. dchamero

dchamero New Member

Feb 10, 2006
    DFW area
    I had the exact same problem, and they sent me a replacement HR10-250 to replace the bad one.... anyways... that means that I am now leased :(

Anyway, the new one is running 6.3a now, (still did not get 6.3b on the new one)... We'll see what happens after that...

4. designr

designr Member

Nov 16, 2002
    My Access Card is 0017 XXXX XXXX

The first person I spoke to in tech support told me that she had seen a number of these failures come up after 6.3b. The first thing she wanted me to do was put in another card to see it was read by the card reader as the wrong card (it was). She thought my Access Card was fried by the 6.3b upgrade.

The third person I spoke to, a supervisor, said a certain percentage of the HR10-250s were damaged beyond repair by the 6.3b upgrade.

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=335262&highlight=access+card

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=328212&highlight=valid+access+card

Apparently, this is not as uncommon as D*TV would lead us to believe. The upgrade may be fine in a vacuum -- it may leave the factory in good working order. But, it may get corrupted during the delivery, either during download or decompression. If D*TV's error correction is faulty, corrupted software can be installed. This could explain a number of random post-upgrade failures.

Problem is, D*TV has no fall-back for failure. With something like the "Slicer", they could roll-back an upgrade and push a fresh copy of the upgrade to the affected unit. D*TV simply feels it is cheaper to replace the units that they break than to develop better error correction or a fall-back strategy.

The problem I have with D*TV is that it is my Tivo they broke. If a new Access Card doesn't fix it, I could end up with somebody else's nasty old used one. Or worse, a third rate imitation "DiVo-R".

BTW: I can pull the card and play my previously recorded shows. There's just a big sign in the middle of the screen demanding that I insert a valid card. If I put the card back in, I can watch live TV that turns on and off every 2 seconds over and over again.

They promised, and then un-promised, and then promised again, and then un-promised again, my replacement card for Saturday delivery via FedEx. I don't have high hopes of seeing it before Monday. I'll let you know.

In the meantime, I will be watching 4x3 video on my antique Tivos.

5. temp357

temp357 New Member

Feb 18, 2004

Advertisements

I had the same problem with 6.3a but it was more intermittent. I have not had any problems since downgrading to 3.1.5f on the same exact hardware and the same access card.

6. Teutonaddict

Teutonaddict New Member

May 9, 2005
    In my case, I had a blissful and flawless two+ years with 3.1.x and then in October, 6.3a triggered a rapid and eventually complete demise of my owned HDTivo (audio dropouts, truncated recordings, spontaneous reboots, and ultimately, the Green Screen of Death). D* offered the explanation that software upgrades can utilize faulty sectors of the hard drive, and therefore "some percentage of units experience hard drive failure when we update software" (per the Tier II tech support). Of course, that explanation sounds better for D* than your description of corrupted downloads...

Interestingly enough, I have another, leased HR10-250 that started doing the same things (I switched it into primary (i.e., family room) service after the GSOD), however: 6.3b seems to have righted the ship on that unit. No more audio dropouts, spontaneous reboots, or truncated recordings. Still have the annoying remote double-push hiccup going on.

I debated whether to leave D* for cable or Dish (of course, received offers from D* for 'free' H20's, which I politely declined). While D* does offer some of the locals in MPEG4, they don't have all, and could not give me a straight answer whether the OTA tuners would be active in any H20 I received.

Ultimately, I chose to bite the bullet and I ordered a replacement hard drive from the TCF Store. Installed it (300G) yesterday, and VOILA!!

My HR10-250 has been resurrected!! Woo-hoo!

Now, of course, I paid $180 for the hard drive using the forum discount, but I now have two fully functioning HDTivo's and life is good again. The leased unit is on 6.3b and seems okay, and my recently resurrected unit is on 3.1.x (and is unplugged, thank you). I'll take slow guides and no folders over unreliability any day of the week.

By the way, the free, so-called Extended Warranty I received from Value Electronics when I purchased my HDTivo two years ago was worth exactly what I paid for it: ZILCH! "I'm sorry, sir, but we have no record of your warranty in our system. Go pound salt."

I hope you're able to find a satisfactory resolution to your situation.

7. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA

This is incorrect. If they sent you an HR10-250 to replace one that you owned, you own the new one. They also should not have started a new contract for replacing a broken receiver. I had an R-15 that I purchased. It broke and they sent me a replacement. Without telling me, they started me on a new two-year contract. I called and complained and they agreed that should not have happened. When they replaced my dead by owned HR10-250 with an HR20, they volunteered the info that it would be owned, not leased because it was a replacement.

8. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    Replacements for out-of-warranty "owned" receivers will be considered "leased" and will renew a 2 year contract. The only way D* will replace it with an "owned" receiver and no contract is if you pay their "unsubsidized" cost to replace it. IIRC, the "unsub'd" cost for a dvr is $349 and an hddvr is $749. If anyone at D* says something different, I GUARANTEE that you are being lied to.

9. PJO1966

PJO1966 Hi. What is this?

Mar 5, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe the difference is that I have the Protection Plan. Last time I called for something, I asked them to check whether my receivers were leased or owned. They said that all of my receivers were owned. I also am not currently in a contract. I was incorrectly charged for not returning the HR20. My account was charged $450.

10. terpfan1980

terpfan1980 It's Just TV TCF Club

Jan 28, 2002
    Xbox Live:...
    You can guarantee that if you want, but I'd have to think that local States Attorney Generals' offices and departments of consumer affairs would love to have a crack at getting that rectified.

Out-of-warranty might make for an out for DirecTV here, but it's still slimey. Replacing owned equipment with a new contract is not fair to the customer period.

11. Da Goon

Da Goon Registered Abuser

Oct 22, 2006
    Ever had a cell phone??

12. designr

designr Member

Nov 16, 2002
    So, I finally got my new Access Card on Monday. When they tell you it may come by Saturday they are lying because they only ship Standard Overnight FedEx which is NOT Saturday delivery.

My HR10-250 read the new Access Card but live TV continued to cut in and out, relentlessly. Clear and Delete everything made matters even worse. Now, as soon as it acquires the satellite signal the picture cuts in and out a few times and the in reboots itself.

It seems as if the live TV buffer has gotten so corrupted that it crashes the instant the receivers start writing to the disk. On the other hand, 6.3b hosed the Access Card so it could have also hosed the receivers.

I finally spoke to a supervisor, today Wed., who actually knew something about the systems. Bottom line is that there is no way to get a refurb HR10-250 from D*. So, in order to keep me at D*, he offered a $200 credit to repair my HR10-250.

This begs the question of the day:

1) Do I buy a replacement drive here? I've had my eye on the 750GB for a while. I'd have them throw on the 6.3b slices and Network Kit (yes I am lazy). Easy to pop into the box. Downside: It may be a waste if the receivers were damaged (which is a very slight possibility).

2) Or, do I send it in here to be completely refurbed (i.e., all necessary parts, etc.)? Downside: I get the same size hard drive.

Your comments are most appreciated.

13. bpratt

bpratt New Member

Nov 20, 2004
    Salt Lake...
    You might also look here for a replacement drive. I have had very good luck with WeaKnees.
    http://www.weaknees.com/hughes-hr10-250.php

14. MAGold

MAGold New Member

Jan 5, 2007

I had a similar problem with a dead hr10-250 and the 5 year free warranty from Value Electronics. First they told me my guy was out sick then they said I needed the original warranty card...who are they kidding I have the original receipt from them that should be enough..I was a repeat customer with them but will never go back (D* promised to refund my cost of the repair).

Still having problems getting my new drives (from DVR upgrader) to reach my network but at least i can watch in HD hoping to fix the network solution soon. For now I record on the 20-700 in the living room and cross my fingers that it actually records...

Can't believe it but I am moving toward going back to cable with a series 3 tivo and giving up Sunday Ticket.

15. Dave47

Dave47 New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Allen, Tx
    Mine started doing pretty much this exact same thing and I diagnosed it as the power supply. $50 from Weaknees and I was back in business.

The two circled caps in my power supply were bulging on top. Bulging caps are never a good thing. Of course, electrolytics don't HAVE to be bulging to have gone bad.

David

Attached Files:

16. designr

designr Member

Nov 16, 2002
    Yes! It's ALIVE! :p :D

OK, here's what happened. I ordered a 750 GB with PTVnetHD 6.3x from here in hopes of having a new networked drive for the Super Bowl (ok, so i'm lazy). They shipped the drive requiring a signature :mad: My maid couldn't sign for it :confused: So I broke down and zippered the seemingly dead 250GB hoping a clean system would get the HR10 going again. Same problem (signal cutting in and out, rebooting). So I zippered an old 83GB drive I found in my underwear drawer. Same problem again (signal cutting in and out, rebooting).

At this point I was banging my head against the screen of my Aquos LCD wondering what I was going to do for the Super Bowl.

Then I remembered Dave47's post. I had already checked for bulging capacitors. But, in desperation I pulled out a can of compressed air (when all else fails - use a can of compressed air). While spraying dust out of every nook and cranny I began checked all the cable connections (never a bad idea). That's when I noticed the ribbon cable which connects the power supply to the main logic card had partially worked it's way out of its connector slot. It was just slightly higher than it should be.

It's a flat, ribbon cable with bare exposed contacts on the end which slips into the narrow slot of the connector soldered to the main logic card. Not the best design because the only thing holding it in place is the metal on metal friction. See the attached picture. I could just barely see the tops of the bare contacts. Vibration over the past year had loosened the contact.

So, I slipped the cable out, rubbed the contacts for good luck and carefully slipped the cable back in. The 83GB drive started working properly immediately. I swapped in the 250GB drive and finished running the Enhancements scripts, a la zipper. So now I have an 83GB zippered drive (useless), a 250GB zippered drive (for the Super Bowl) and a 750GB networked drive on its way.

In hindsight, I should have saved my money, bought a bare 750GB drive and zippered it for $25. I could have saved $125. I may end up zippering the 750GB when it finally arrives. Oh, well... I did get a $200 credit from D* for my trouble.

The moral of the story is: If your HR10-250 got hosed by the 6.3a or 6.3b upgrade, check the cables. Apparently, 6.3 is a great deal more sensitive to any variations in voltage caused by a slightly loose power cable.

Also, check the card slot. I found that the card slot is really loose and the Access Card can slip back a hair allowing the Access Card contacts to shift. This is also more sensitive when running 6.3.

Finally, thanks everybody for your suggestions and support.

Attached Files:

17. Dave47

Dave47 New Member

Jun 3, 2004
    Allen, Tx
    Congrats!

Incidentally, my problems all occurred with 3.1.5f. I think it is more of a time issue that just happened to coincide with the update to 6.3. My HR10 was 2.5 years old when the PS failed.

David