6.3a reboot loop and partitions question -- ANSWERED

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by bluntedat420, Sep 29, 2006.

1. bluntedat420

bluntedat420 New Member

Mar 16, 2002
    SoCal

Advertisements

I just got 6.3a this morning, but my HR10 won't get past the "Almost there..." screen. Instead, it is stuck in a reboot loop. Here's my question:

This is a modded HR10 with 2 500G drives. The unit used to have 2 300G drives, but one was failing, so I dd_rescue'd them to twin 500G's. During that process, I found out that I had exhausted all available partitions (9? 12?), meaning that I couldn't expand to use the full 1TB. I'm wondering if this is screwing up the update. Do the new slices get copied onto a new partition (which I don't have) and deletes the old boot partition?

Am I hosed? If so, there should be LOTS of us out there who are maxed on partitions and will get jacked when our units try to update. That is the only thing I can think of that would turn a perfectly reliable TiVo into a brick in the midst of the 6.3a rollout.

Any ideas or suggestions?

2. bluntedat420

bluntedat420 New Member

Mar 16, 2002
    SoCal
    Flash-forward to this afternoon, the same unit is again continously rebooting. I haven't done anything with the unit (been working all day) and no recordings were scheduled. THIS IS ONLY HAPPENING AFTER THE UPDATE TO 6.3a. Coincidence? doubtful.

I now have folders on a TiVo I'm reluctant to actually record anything onto. Am I an isolated case?

I'm waiting to see if manually pulling the plug for a minute or two helps, but this concerns me with all of the recording in the upcoming weeks with the fall season, etc.

3. redram38

redram38 New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    TN
    I started having trouble after the 6.3a update also. I came home wed afternoon and had the almost there message on my screen. I waited awhile, then I just unplugged the unit and let it reboot. It got through and came on like normal, then from that point forward all my OTA recordings have been unwatchable. Freezing, audio dropping, frame by frame movement. I called D* and they told me to do a clear and delete all. Said the update probl did not take right the first time. I did this and since then as I watch TV the unit has rebooted itself twice in the past 20 minutes. I called D* back and they are sending me another unit. I cannot believe all the trouble that started after the update was just coincidental this update blows. Makes you wonder is it flawed so people will jump ship to the new HR20. All I know is know I am afraid to even try and record anything I really want to watch because it probl will not be watchable.

4. Bitz69

Bitz69 New Member

Jul 29, 2000

hehe, it's funny, I said it was a conspiracy to make people wanna switch to the hr20 but people kinda slammed me for it, I've seen several people mention it since then <G> as much as I want folders, I'll wait till they get a stable release, though your problem sounds like a bad spot on the hardrive.

5. dbett

dbett Hmm?

Aug 13, 2001

Advertisements

This happens with every new software release on every tivo box. The way the software update process works, there are two boot partitions. The new software is installed on the non-active partition and when the unit reboots after installation, it then boots from that (previously non-active) partition.

So, if there is any problem with that section of the hard drive, the unit won't boot and/or will have other issue running off that problem partition. It has nothing to do with whether the new software is buggy.

6. redram38

redram38 New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    TN
    Hope it is a HD problem, D* is sending me a new HR10 in the next few days. I am getting freezes on all stations, OTA, D* HD and my SD locals as well. It probl is just a BAD drive but this thig is only about 2 mths old, I have also gotten the slow motion and freezes while watching Live as well

7. BayTiVo

BayTiVo New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    Started happening occasionally 2-3 weeks ago, but almost constant on HD channels now. My signal strength is good on all 3 sats. I suspect the disk, but they won;t send me a replacement without having a technician come out.

You have the problem on SD channels also?

Did you have the tech visit?

I'm thinking of trying the kickstart and run the mfs checks, but would hate to get caught on green screens...

8. redram38

redram38 New Member

Apr 17, 2004
    TN
    I did not have to have a tech come out, they just ordered me a new one. Ot may be because the unit is only 2 mths old, or I have the protection plan.

I could not get the kickstart to work. I press pause when the red record light comes on but it never turns yellow. I was going to try the 52 but could never get it to work

9. BayTiVo

BayTiVo New Member

Apr 26, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    I did get kickstart to work and tried "57", but I'm still seeing the same problems. I'm trying a "58" right now.

It sure looks like a loss of signal type of problem, but its happening on both 110 and 119 and my signal strengths are high 80s and 90s.

I'm going to take my multiswitch out of the loop next, but it sure looks like it's the unit itself.