6.3a Dolby Digital problem, not dropout

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Cromm, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Cromm

Cromm New Member

Nov 25, 2006

Advertisements

I made the mistake of connecting my HR10-250 to the phone line to get some NFL Highlights. To my horror, I also got the 6.3a update which I've read so much about over the past week.

One problem which I've seen touched on but not really expanded on is a problem with Dolby Digital. I've noticed that many channels are now processed through my Yamaha receiver as Dolby PLII which is a 2 channel signal instead of 5.1. This doesn't happen with every channel, or every station, but it is annoying when watching HBO high def and the audio signal is processed either without the DD (on the info screen) or with the DD but as Pro-logic 2. The end result is that the sound quality is inferior to using the 5.1 setup I have to its fullest.

It's not my receiver, and I've changed the default DD to PCM setting back to output as DD.

Thoughts? I'm resigned to waiting for the HR20's to show up I think.

2. chris_h

chris_h New Member

Dec 17, 2003
    Sacramento, CA
    It has been a while since I had the 6.3 software, but I think (not sure) that there was one setting to record DD and one setting to output in DD. Make sure you have both set.

3. RandCfilm

RandCfilm New Member

Dec 19, 2005
    Indianapolis
    Chris is correct, you will have to set the unit to output in DD.

4. chicagod

chicagod New Member

Jan 22, 2006
    I have noticed this as well, and my recording and output are both properly set to DD (and it works on most channels). I have not done any experimentation, but the local CBS seems to exhibit it most for me.

My receiver shows a DD signal, but with only 2 channels (which I know is not hte case for CBS primetime)

5. phox_mulder

phox_mulder I get paid 2watch TV

Feb 23, 2006
    Salt Lake...

Advertisements

This past couple of weeks, there have been a number of CBS programs that only had 2.0 audio, weren't produced with 5.1
    2 and 1/2 Men has never been 5.1, and CBS has aired a couple extra lately in place of other things.
    Movie last Sunday only 2.0, a couple rerun Cold Cases and Without a Trace's are only 2.0.
    Rudolph, Frosty and Frosty returns were only 2.0.

There are more, but I can't remember exactly which ones.
    So, basically, it might not be a problem with your TiVo.

phox