6.3a and IR extender problems, others?

Discussion in 'DirecTV TiVo Powered PVRs & Receivers' started by Joe Jensen, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Jan 4, 2007 #1 of 12
    Joe Jensen

Joe Jensen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Arizona

Advertisements

Since 6.3a my Xantech IR extender has stopped working with the HR10. The remote seems flakey without the IR extender. The Xantech seems to be working fine for my other componets, but something could have gone wrong with the Xantech. I hate to by a new unit for $100 only to find it's related to 6.3a. Any others having trouble?

2. Jan 4, 2007 #2 of 12
    altan

altan New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    I just got 6.3b and have a Xantech IR system --- still working fine.

... Altan

3. Jan 4, 2007 #3 of 12
    Joe Jensen

Joe Jensen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Arizona
    I still have 6.3a. Did you have problems with 6.3a?...joe

4. Jan 4, 2007 #4 of 12
    altan

altan New Member

Jan 5, 2003
    IR control was fine with 6.3a. For what it's worth, without the Xantech the IR reception was pretty poor. It worked a lot better once the Xantech was added. Strange, I know, but true.

... Altan

5. Jan 4, 2007 #5 of 12
    ShiningBengal

ShiningBengal Curmudgeon Emeritus

Mar 19, 2001
    Minneapolis,...

Advertisements

Have you checked the batteries in your remote?

The standard TiVo remote does not have very good range, and I find I have to aim it at the HR-10 fairly directly or it doesn't respond. The Harmony 688 that I use in place of it doesn't require any aiming at all. The bounced IR signal seems more than enough to do the job.

That said, perhaps your batteries are too weak to make it to the Xantach dependably. ;)

6. Jan 4, 2007 #6 of 12
    GalenMD

GalenMD New Member

Apr 13, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I am using a Xantech system and have no problems with 6.3a. Using a Logitech remote.

7. Jan 5, 2007 #7 of 12
    dishrich

dishrich Active Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Springfield, IL
    I'm using Powermid IR repeaters on my whole stack of DVR's, including an HD Tivo - no problems using it with any of them...

8. Jan 5, 2007 #8 of 12
    Joe Jensen

Joe Jensen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Arizona
    Thanks for the suggestions. I have fresh batteries in the Tivo remote and the Harmony. Niether works...joe

9. Jan 5, 2007 #9 of 12
    alv

alv New Member

May 6, 2004
    Don't know about hte Xantech system but my powermid system sometimes gets stuck on, particular if a transmitter is in daylight. Sometimes moving it helps. Makes the main room remote appear unresponsive. Nothing to do with the software.

10. Lee L

Lee L Got Basenji?

Oct 1, 2003
    Morrisville, NC
    I have a Xantech system as well and it works fine on 6.3a.

Did you recently add any compact flourescant lights, they can definitely cause issues with teh IR receivers?

11. Joe Jensen

Joe Jensen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Arizona
    The Xantech is controlling two other devices no problem. I put a new emitter on the HR10 and it still doesn't work. The new emitter flashes red when it's getting a signal from the Xantech, so I know the connection is good. Wonder if the Xantech can fail only for some frequencies?...joe

12. Joe Jensen

Joe Jensen New Member

Jul 7, 2003
    Arizona
    Here's an update. I have replaced the front panel, and the power supply. I tried a new Zantech IR recevier and two different types of Zantech IR emitters. Still not working. I have no florescent lights and I've tried removing all other remotes from the room. I've tried the Tivo remote, and a Harmony remote.

Are others having remote responsiveness problems? Even without the extender, the remote works unreliably, sometimes it doesn't respind, and other times it cues up several commands and then after a few seconds it executes the cued up commands.

Any further ideas?...joe