1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

50% signal loss OTA when connecting to Spectrum provider

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by TonyOCKy50, Sep 14, 2018.

1. TonyOCKy50

TonyOCKy50 New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Not really a Tivo/MOCA problem but I'm at a loss. I have created a Moca network as shown in the attached pdf file for OTA viewing, no cable programming. From a process of elimination it appears that when I connect the input from Spectrum, my broadband supplier, the signal strength of 4 out of 5 channels drops from around 75% to below 40% and the SNR from 29db to 15db. I swapped out the 2 Antronix splitters for a 3-way Ideal splitter rated 5Mhz to 2.4Ghz and also replaced the incoming POE filter. I'm assuming the POE filter is an active band pass filter because if I just disconnect the cable input and leave the filter in place, the problem goes away. The frequencies affected are 491Mhz, 545Mhz, 671Mhz and 683Mhz. The only channel not affected runs on 201Mhz, therefore I think I have an impedance problem somewhere but I can't figure out where. Any help would be appreciated. Not much hair left to tear out.

Attached Files:

2. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I'm surprised it's working at all, and that you have any Internet connectivity. Cable TV/broadband and OTA operate within the same frequency range and so cannot share the same coax plant.

OTA: 40-806 MHz
    Cable: 5-1002 MHz
    MoCA: 1125-1675 MHz
    Related post >here<.

3. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    The workaround employed by many is to use an antenna/satellite diplexer to allow (mostly) only the MoCA signals to pass between the antenna and CATV/BB coax segments, per the following post...
    In your case, you should be able to replace the 2-way splitter connected to the antenna feed with a diplexer, connecting the BOLT to the diplexer's IN/OUT port, the antenna to the diiplexer's ANT(VHF/UHF) port, and the coax line connecting back to the shared CATV/BB coax plant to the SAT port of the diplexer ... as shown in the attached diagram:

MoCA Network - diplexer workaround.png

NOTE also the placement of the "PoE" MoCA filters directly on the coax port of the attached splitter/diplexer, in order to maximize the performance benefit of the "PoE" MoCA filter.​

p.s. Preferred parts >here<.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  4. TonyOCKy50

TonyOCKy50 New Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Thanks for the info, I think. After reading your response, I tried some reconfiguration and now the MoCA network just tanks. TV signals to the Bolt are now acceptable and provide quality, mostly stable viewing. I'll try and seek out a diplexer locally, but don't be surprised if you see a couple of Tivo Minis on eBay and maybe a Tivo Bolt +. I'm now off to buy a Roku stick and subscribe to Hulu Plus for Live TV (mainly for the sports channels)as I discovered the Bolt+ does not support live TV. What's the world coming to?

5. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You’re welcome, I suppose.

The posted diagram showing the diplexer workaround should work; I can’t guess why MoCA’s now not working without any info on the actual changes made.

Do you have a 4-tuner BOLT or a 6-tuner BOLT+? If you have “acceptable” viewing from an OTA antenna signal, then it must be a 4-tuner BOLT*, so what is the BOLT+ reference? And the Minis should work fine once the diplexer workaround is in place.

* The BOLT+ (any 6-tuner BOLT, 6-tuner Roamio or 4-tuner Premiere) only supports digital cable w/ CableCARDs, not OTA ATSC digital broadcasts. Any 4-tuner BOLT would work in place of the “BOLT” in the diagram for the purpose of tuning digital OTA broadcasts.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
  6. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    I’m assuming this means “the Hulu Live TV service is not supported by the version of the Hulu app available on the BOLT” — because, obviously, every flavor of BOLT supports “live TV.”

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018