5 minute commercial break

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Dan203, Oct 7, 2014.

1. Oct 7, 2014 #1 of 87
    Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada

Advertisements

Tonight I'm watching Big Bang Theory and I start FFing through a commercial and I notice it seems to be taking longer then usual. So I enable the clock (SPS9S) and look at the exact times. Commercal break starts at 12:50 and ends at 18:08. That's over 5 minutes long! What happened to the days when Chuck use to say "be back in 2 and 2"? 5 minutes is insane! I checked the show and there is only about 20 minutes of the 31 minute recording that's actual show. There are over 11 minutes of commercials.

2. Oct 7, 2014 #2 of 87
    tatergator1

tatergator1 Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2008
    Columbus, Ohio
    Commercials have been slowly taking over. I've got a few 80's shows on DVD and 1-hr shows typically clock in at 48-49 minutes. Now, a 1-hr show is, at most, 42 minutes.

3. Oct 7, 2014 #3 of 87
    mr.unnatural

mr.unnatural Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2006
    Ellicott...
    42-44 minutes of actual show time has been the standard for quite some time. Half-hour shows are about 22 minutes minus the commercials. Jon Stewart on The Daily Show frequently mentions that he only has to work 22 minutes a day four days a week. Sounds like the particular episode of TBBT came up a couple of minutes short so they threw in a few extra commercials as filler.

4. Oct 7, 2014 #4 of 87
    tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    I've noticed one oddity: I've been recording Doctor Who off BBC America and cutting out the commercials, and the first 3 "normal" episodes were 46 minutes long after cutting the commercials. All the episodes since then have been 43 minutes. It is like they planned to suck you into the show by having fewer commercials at first, then pile them on later :).

5. Oct 7, 2014 #5 of 87
    Captainbob

Captainbob Member

Sep 1, 2014
    Atlanta, GA

Advertisements

Been watching the Black List on NBC, and catching up on the few that I missed from last season on Netflix, they are all 43 minutes long. Can watch to 1 hour shows in less than an hour and a half minus the commercials.

6. Oct 7, 2014 #6 of 87
    NSPhillips

NSPhillips Member

May 31, 2007
    During the second or third season of Star Trek: Voyager, they added commercial time after the shows were shot but before they aired, so they had to go back and cut time from an existing show.

The worst result of this is that older shows are being cut when shown in syndication to fit the shorter window. If you don't have DVDs of older shows like Seinfeld or the Simpsons, you are missing scenes.

7. Oct 7, 2014 #7 of 87
    atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    If you go back to the original Star Trek Shows (late 60s) they were 52 minutes long. I find watching TV without a DVR completely unacceptable if it wasn't for TiVo I am not sure I would watch any of it.

8. Oct 7, 2014 #8 of 87
    BigJimOutlaw

BigJimOutlaw Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2004
    This week's and last week's BBT were around 19 minutes long and ran for almost 31 minutes thanks to that bumper at the end. Definitely had some extra time to fill. Guess they gotta pay for those new Galecki, Cuoco, and Parsons contracts. :p

The first 3 seasons were fairly consistent 21-22 mins. Mostly since season 5 the time has been more flexible from 19-21 mins.

9. Oct 7, 2014 #9 of 87
    dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    Of course they do this because they can, i.e., the viewers just keep watching. I wonder where the tipping point is, where they lose so many eyeballs that the price they can get from advertisers falls so much that adding commercials yields diminishing returns? (I guess we're going to find out.)

10. singemfrc

singemfrc New Member

Jun 24, 2011
    Approx 22 mins for a half hour show and 42 mins for an hour show has been typical for quite some time.

What I have been noticing as a recent trend though has been (as far as I've seen) only happening on the Discovery Channel. In what I can only assume is meant to entice/trick people into stopping their fast forward to accidentally catch a commercial or two, at or around the 50 minute mark of an hour-long show they will come back from commercial to a short 30 second or so segment of the actual show and then more commercials after it. If you're fast forwarding it gets you to stop.

11. LoadStar

LoadStar LOAD"*",8,1

Jul 24, 2001
    Milwaukee, WI
    BBC shows are broadcast commercial free over in England. Commercials are added in for the BBC America broadcast, and as a result, they do make some edits to the show to fit them in.

Additionally, from what I've seen, the BBC's schedule is less rigid, allowing shows to play around with episode length if they have reason to.

12. allan

allan Just someone TCF Club

Oct 13, 2002
    I've seen that on the morning news. I'm FFing, it looks like the news is back, and they're just saying what they'll be talking about next, and back to commercials.

13. dlfl

dlfl Cranky old novice

Jul 6, 2006
    Dayton OH
    I haven't bothered to time it but I'd be surprised if local news broadcasts have more than 50% content after excluding teasers and commercials. Unfortunately very little of even the 50% is actual news IMHO. More and more folks get their news from other than broadcast TV and I can see why.

14. tomhorsley

tomhorsley Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2010
    Hi! We're the best local news people and we're here to give you the news you can count on, this morning we'd just like to say you've tuned into the right place for news, if news is what your are looking for then keep your TV tuned to this channel for the best news. Why together we have over 100 years of news reporting experience with all the great people working here to bring you the news. This morning we have important news for local residents from the Centers for Disease Control. Stay tuned for details after the break...

15. NorthAlabama

NorthAlabama tabasco rules

Apr 19, 2012
    sweet home, al
    yes, 5 minutes at once is crazy. even worse, 15-20 seconds of show in the middle of a 5 minute commercial break, just to get you to stop ffwding to "look". :mad:

prices go up, content quality goes down, commercial breaks get longer. tivo is the answer to the latter, let them show an hour of commercials if they want - if it becomes too much of a hassle to skip, i'll start watching something else, there's plenty of content. ;)

16. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    Doctor Who is an unusual case because it is made to be originally broadcast on the BBC in Britain, which I don't think shows commercials. I think the true length of a Doctor Who episode is supposed to be approximately 45 minutes long. BBC America may be editing out a couple of minutes of the show when broadcast to an American audience so they can wedge in a few more commercials.

EDIT: I just saw LoadStar's comments on this above, which are pretty much the same as mine.

17. tarheelblue32

tarheelblue32 Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I've never timed them before, but commercial breaks on MTV always feel unusually long to me. I also did notice that the Big Bang Theory had a ridiculously long commercial break in the middle of the show the other night. I guess it's just all part of the growing trend towards more commercials. I'm so glad I have a TiVo.

18. Grakthis

Grakthis New Member

Oct 4, 2006
    Stop watching the Big Bang Theory. It's basically the prime example of formulaic drivel populated by long periods of laugh track and unfunny referential humor.

Problem solved!

Seriously though, it seems like, the "middle" commercial break in most shows has gotten longer. The rest stay the same.

19. AdamNJ

AdamNJ Member

Aug 22, 2013
    Dunellen, NJ
    I see usual commercial breaks as 8 button presses (4 mins). Varies by show, network...etc

20. Dan203

Dan203 Super Moderator Staff Member TCF Club

Apr 17, 2000
    Nevada
    This is the first time I've noticed a commercial this long before. 3-4 seems normal, 5:18 is insane. I did notice a small slip in the middle with the cast, that got me to stop, but it was an advertisement for a second episode of the show coming up next. (repeat)

I notice that a LOT on news shows. They'll have a long commercial break broken up by a few seconds of content in the middle.

I know it seems silly to complain about commercials when I have a TiVo but more commercials means less content, which decreases the quality of the shows.