4K smart tv strategy: Premiere XL, Roamio, or Bolt?

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Mike Kornblum, Aug 22, 2020.

1. Mike Kornblum

Mike Kornblum Mike Kornblum

Nov 24, 2007
    Natick,...

Advertisements

I’m about to install a Samsung QLED 4K TV in my family room, where a TiVo Premiere XL is currently paired to an older (not 4K) HDTV. In other rooms I have a Roamio PLUS and a Bolt (TCD849500). This will be my first 4K set and I am wondering if the Premiere XL is able to pass through a 4K image or if I should be thinking of swapping rooms with one of my newer TiVo boxes. The new set is a smart tv full of apps that I can send direct to screen without going through the TiVo box so maybe this doesn’t matter?

I’d appreciate the thoughts of more techno savvy TiVo users. Thanks!
    Mike

2. ThAbtO

ThAbtO TiVoholic by the bay TCF Club

Apr 6, 2000
    SF Bay Area
    The Bolt is 4k capable, (as well as Edge?) Premiere and Roamio is Pre-4k and not capable. About the only 4k content is in streaming, there is hardly any 4k on cable yet (maybe a few channels.)

stevewjackson likes this.
  3. Mike Kornblum

Mike Kornblum Mike Kornblum

Nov 24, 2007
    Natick,...
    Thanks for the information!

4. Resist

Resist Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I have two 65" 4k LG OLED TV's, one with a Bolt and one with a Premiere, obviously the TV connected to the Bolt has a better picture with 4K content. But, I will say that the TV's upscaling ability is very good and TV connected to the Premiere, which is limited to 1080i for most content, looks really nice.