1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4K mini + Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mfiman, Aug 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. mfiman

mfiman New Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I have a TiVO Roamio Pro. If I buy a TiVo mini Vox 4K, I know it will not get recordings in 4K, because they come from the Roamio. But what about live TV, or streaming from Netflix and Amazon Prime? Can they be in 4K on the mini — even though it is connected to a Roamio?

2. snerd

snerd Active Member

Jun 6, 2008
    The mini borrows tuners from the host TiVo, so live TV is limited to the capabilities of the host. No 4K from a Roamio.

4K streaming from Netflix/Amazon/etc. should work, provided you have enough internet bandwidth to support it.

3. ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    There are almost no 4k cable channels, and the very few that exist aren't transmitting anything that would be worth recording. So for now, and for some time to come, the issue of 4k recordings is moot.

There's lots of content in 4k streaming, however, including HDR (which TiVo still does not support).

On the gripping hand, there are cheaper and more flexible and reliable 4k solutions than a TiVo 4k Mini, which solutions do support HDR. And the streaming channels do not come compressed by the cable company.

4. mfiman

mfiman New Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Thanks for the replies. Question answered!