4K mini + Roamio

Discussion in 'TiVo Roamio DVRs' started by mfiman, Aug 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Aug 8, 2018 #1 of 10
    mfiman

mfiman New Member

Nov 9, 2017
    I have a TiVO Roamio Pro. If I buy a TiVo mini Vox 4K, I know it will not get recordings in 4K, because they come from the Roamio. But what about live TV, or streaming from Netflix and Amazon Prime? Can they be in 4K on the mini — even though it is connected to a Roamio?

2. Aug 9, 2018 #2 of 10
    snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    The mini borrows tuners from the host TiVo, so live TV is limited to the capabilities of the host. No 4K from a Roamio.

4K streaming from Netflix/Amazon/etc. should work, provided you have enough internet bandwidth to support it.

3. Aug 9, 2018 #3 of 10
    ej42137

ej42137 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Los Angeles
    There are almost no 4k cable channels, and the very few that exist aren't transmitting anything that would be worth recording. So for now, and for some time to come, the issue of 4k recordings is moot.

There's lots of content in 4k streaming, however, including HDR (which TiVo still does not support).

On the gripping hand, there are cheaper and more flexible and reliable 4k solutions than a TiVo 4k Mini, which solutions do support HDR. And the streaming channels do not come compressed by the cable company.

4. Aug 9, 2018 #4 of 10
    mfiman

mfiman New Member

Nov 9, 2017
    Thanks for the replies. Question answered!

5. sbachman

sbachman New Member

Dec 26, 2018
    Below is my question to TiVo on this same subject, followed by their answer:

Hi. If I add a 4K Mini Vox with the Roamio Pro as the master DVR, will the Mini Vox be able to send any 4K content to the TV it's attached to? I'm guessing that any live TV (Xfinity) or recorded shows would not be 4K, since the Roamio isn't 4K, but I'm not sure. Seems more likely that streaming (Netflix) 4K content might work. Can you tell me specifically what 4K content would get through to the 4K Mini in that setup?

Hello Steven,

Good day! Thank you for contacting TiVo Email Support.

4K content will be displayed to any device that is 4K compatible. So although your TiVo Roamio Pro is not 4K compatible, the 4K Mini will still be able to output 4K shows or contents both on Live TV (if available) and streaming applications. When it comes to recorded shows, they will not be in 4K since the Roamio Pro (not 4K compatible) records them.

The Case Number for this inquiry is 08527623.

6. mikey1273

mikey1273 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    York, Pa
    I would think live TV on the mini wouldn't be 4K with xfinity as they do not have any 4K channels. you would get HD and it might be upscaled some by the TV if it can upscale the signal at all. the Mini would show streaming services in 4K

7. snerd

snerd Well-Known Member

Jun 6, 2008
    I don't believe that live TV would be 4K even if xfinity did have 4K channels, because live TV comes through the tuners of the host TiVo, and the Roamio Pro simply doesn't have any 4K capability. The TiVo rep misspoke.

8. mikey1273

mikey1273 Member

Nov 6, 2017
    York, Pa
    I would have to agree with the the Roamio can't pass on a 4k Signal that it's not made to be capable of recieving. Streaming on a 4k capable mini would be the only 4k source.

Even if you had a Bolt the same would be true as there are no 4k broadcasters yet.

9. JoeKustra

JoeKustra in the other Alabama TCF Club

Dec 7, 2012
    Ashland, PA...
    Would it be logical to read the TiVo CS email in post 5 and conclude it makes no sense?

I have 5 4k channels in my guide. All 5 have no signal. However there is a branch of my cable company that is testing 4k and has three active 4k channels in QAM. To me it seems the TiVo can receive a 4k signal, but only 1) pass it to a Mini, or 2) record or display it as 2k. The old Magnavox DVDR could receive 1080i but only record it as 480i and upscale it to 1080i when played back.

10. krkaufman

krkaufman TDL shepherd

Nov 25, 2003
    You'll find various threads discussing the 4K & HDR compatibility of the streaming apps available for the TiVo platform.