4K FIOS

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by Jamie A, Jan 21, 2020.

1. Jamie A

Jamie A New Member

Jan 21, 2020
    I've seen some threads discussing 4k on FIOS on 4K TiVo's like the Bolt+ (what I have). When I go to channel 1498/1499 I see the holding message that shows but it seems to be broadcasting in HD, the info about the "show" says it's HD, and when I find an upcoming program it says it's HD as well.

So I guess my question is for those that have gotten 4k content on a TiVo via FIOS, have you actually verified that the signal is 4k (if so, how?) or are you just assuming that because you're getting video content on the 4k channel that it's 4k?

I really want to get the Super Bowl in 4k since Verizon has confirmed they're going to have it but I don't want to have to pick up their box to do so.

2. JerryB01

JerryB01 Member TCF Club

Feb 15, 2015
    Northern NJ
    I've recorded FIOS 4K content using both my Tivo and an HDHomerun Prime and then transferred that content to my computer for analysis. It is indeed 4K and in some cases HDR, depending on whether it was recorded in 4K/HDR or just 4K.

Verizon only broadcasts in 4K on channels 1498/1499 when there is active 4K content being transmitted and does a very poor job of advertising this content. I found DLSReports to be the best source for determining when something will be broadcast in 4K.

3. Jamie A

Jamie A New Member

Jan 21, 2020
    Good to know, I'll have to try any catch something before the superbowl to test and make sure it's working on my box

4. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    My LG c9 will specifically say HDR and the resolution shows as 4k when watching a 4k broadcast. Make sure you have a good HDMI cable and go thru the setup to ensure 4k resolution is set up on the TiVo.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

5. arglebargle2

arglebargle2 Member

Mar 22, 2019
    I thought I had read somewhere that its 1080p upscaled to 4k on Verizon's side, not true 4k. (at least for the Thursday night NFL games)

6. JerryB01

JerryB01 Member TCF Club

Feb 15, 2015
    Northern NJ
    From what I've read Fox's football broadcasts are recorded in 1080p and then upscaled to 4K and downscaled to 720p by Fox, not Verizon. Verizon, like the other 4K content providers, is just distributing the 4K broadcast signal that they receive. I wish Fox would record football natively in 4K, as they do for other sports, but the Fox 1080p recording upscaled to 4K still beats their 1080p recording downscaled to 720p and then upscaled to 4K for display on a 4K TV.

compnurd likes this.
  7. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Just FYI, I've read that Fox will stream the Super Bowl for free via their Fox Sports app. It will be available in 4K HDR on select Fire TV and Roku devices and in 4K (SDR) on the Apple TV 4K.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/super-bowl-2020

8. zyzzx

zyzzx Go Bucks! TCF Club

Jan 22, 2002
    Severna...
    FYI, I did a side by side comparison of a regular season football game in 4K on the Fox sports app via Roku on one TV and the FiOS Fox broadcast on a second TV. I was disappointed to find out the 4K stream was more than 90 seconds behind the FiOS broadcast. That wouldn't work so well with social media.

9. NashGuy

NashGuy Well-Known Member

May 2, 2015
    Yeah, that's a pitfall of live streaming. Have to stay off Twitter when you're live streaming a game!

Did you notice any difference in picture quality between the 4K stream in the Fox Sports app versus the 4K broadcast from FiOS?

10. TonyD79

TonyD79 Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2002
    Columbia, MD
    When they are not sending an active 4K signal, the channel (with the card saying nothing is showing) reverts to 1080i. I don’t think fios can generate graphics in 4K. They appear to pass on whatever they get from the source when a game is on.

11. zyzzx

zyzzx Go Bucks! TCF Club

Jan 22, 2002
    Severna...
    Sorry, I have a Roamio which doesn't do 4K.

NashGuy likes this.
  12. zyzzx

zyzzx Go Bucks! TCF Club

Jan 22, 2002
    Severna...
    I used to start watching live sports delayed enough to avoid most commercials. Now I just prefer to be live so I can follow along on Twitter.

13. mattyro7878

mattyro7878 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2014
    The Fox Sports app is supposedly going to be 4k and HDR. Even standard def in HDR is incredible due to what hdr can do for colors and blacks. I expect to be wowed but am prepared to be underwhelmed . At which point I will go back to my Roamio for the trick play which streaming can't match. But if Fox comes through on the picture, I will hang.

14. brobin10

brobin10 New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Anyone getting the v53 error on 1498 today? I watched a college bball game recently on 1498 with no issues

15. compnurd

compnurd Well-Known Member

Oct 6, 2011
    It is only HDR on certain devices

16. bdnyc

bdnyc New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Same. Hope its just because game isn't on yet. Maybe HDR is issue. Anyone with an Edge seeing game? I am on Bolt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. bdnyc

bdnyc New Member

Jul 5, 2010
    Signal for pregame just came on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. brobin10

brobin10 New Member

Jan 19, 2016
    Working for me too now! HLG HDR too! This is amazing

19. aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    It's been on here in the DC area since 1PM. The Kickoff show, between 1PM and 2PM, showed a bitrate of 21.88 Mbps in kmttg. I transferred it to my PC a short time ago from the TiVo Bolt I use with FiOS. So far the 2160P with HLG HDR has not had any issues since the broadcast started here at 1PM EST.

Like the other FiOS UHD broadcasts I've seen, it's about on par with how UHD looks from Netflix, Amazon etc. So it looks pretty good. And certainly looks much, much better than all the FiOS bitstarved HD channels. With it's waxy faces and low detail.

Of course the broadcast is still upscaled 1080P video. So I hope next year that CBS will have a true UHD broadcast. Or maybe in 2022 with NBC?

20. Fant

Fant Member

Aug 31, 2016
    I'm not sure this is upscaled.. there is more detail in tonite's broadcast than the normal Thursday night games.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk