$49.00 Refurbished Premiere boxes from Tivo

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by vanclute, Aug 25, 2011.

  1. vanclute

    vanclute Member

    221
    8
    Aug 3, 2003

    Advertisements

    I looked around but didn't see this posted anywhere, if I just missed it someone may feel free to delete this post.

    http://www.tivo.com/promo/renew49.html

    I plan to order two most likely.
     
  2. lessd

    lessd Well-Known Member

    7,960
    93
    Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    For $33 more you can get a new TP from Amazon.com and have the option to purchase Lifetime service from TiVo. I would think that a better deal.
     
  3. jcthorne

    jcthorne Well-Known Member

    3,116
    196
    Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Yea. I actually tried to purchase one of those from tivo. Called CS etc. They will not sell you lifetime on the $49 box. If you pay $79 for the refurb they will.....but when you can get new ones for $65, why would you?
     
  4. vanclute

    vanclute Member

    221
    8
    Aug 3, 2003
    Ah... yeah I'm not interested in going lifetime, even though it's only 2 years to hit breakeven on it, I just don't have the extra cash right now to do that on two machines. So for me right now, saving the money on the initial purchase cost plus getting the MSD price, makes all the difference.
     
  5. Charles R

    Charles R Well-Known Member

    623
    280
    Nov 9, 2000
    USA

    Advertisements

    Every couple of weeks (for a few days) J and R has the Premiere for $59 (new with free shipping). I just saw it on their site and at times they also list it on eBay and Amazon.
     
  6. Heimdol

    Heimdol New Member

    4
    0
    Aug 25, 2011
    Yep, I actually just went there and bought one for $59.00 with free shipping after seeing this sale.:up:
     
  7. vanclute

    vanclute Member

    221
    8
    Aug 3, 2003
    I'm just curious, what exactly is it that people really think is different between a refurb unit and a new unit? In my experience working for a hardware manufacturer, refurb units often had to pass MORE testing and scrutiny than new units... but I keep seeing people who say they'd rather pay more for a new unit.
     
  8. falken98

    falken98 New Member

    10
    0
    Jan 28, 2011
    The $20/mo is what would kill it for me. The refurbs were only $13/mo a few months ago. $240/yr for service is a bit much.
     
  9. vanclute

    vanclute Member

    221
    8
    Aug 3, 2003
    Wow refurbs had a different monthly price?? I'd be all over that. Interesting.
     
  10. Charles R

    Charles R Well-Known Member

    623
    280
    Nov 9, 2000
    USA
    From my experience...

    • Cosmetically - often there are issues such as scratches, minor dents, etc.
    • Not really refurbished - I've seen obvious issues that weren't addressed.
    • Warranty - Often much shorter or none existent.
    • Lifespan - Who knows how long or how it was treated in the field. Such as being run in an enclosed area and constantly being overheated.
    The most compelling reasons over the years as been you can typically find a brand new unit with a much better warranty for close or sometimes for even less money.
     
  11. vanclute

    vanclute Member

    221
    8
    Aug 3, 2003
    OK true, if you don't believe them when they say every unit is checked out 100%, but you DO believe they check out every new unit 100%, then certainly new would be the way to go without question. Good point about the enclosed spaces as well... I can see those arguments in favor of new certainly.
     
  12. CoxInPHX

    CoxInPHX COX Communications

    2,474
    67
    Jan 14, 2011
    Phoenix, AZ
    That's what I did, Purchased 2 Premieres through Amazon for $59/each (new with free shipping), on July 21st.

    J & R has them right now for $59: http://www.jr.com/tivo/pe/TVV_PREMIERE/
     
  13. vanclute

    vanclute Member

    221
    8
    Aug 3, 2003
    Well I hadn't considered one thing - sales tax! Just ordered 2 units from J&R for $59 with free shipping and no tax. Saved a bundle over going refurb directly with Tivo due to no tax.

    I'm committed now! LOL
     
  14. jcthorne

    jcthorne Well-Known Member

    3,116
    196
    Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    Tax on 60 to 80 dollars is what $5? That is a bundle? It is a savings but not that big a deal.
     
  15. vanclute

    vanclute Member

    221
    8
    Aug 3, 2003
    Actually no, I'm in California so the tax is actually about 10% (our local sales tax rate) on the FULL RETAIL PRICE of the Tivo. So it was adding something like $60 to the order.
     
  16. jcthorne

    jcthorne Well-Known Member

    3,116
    196
    Jan 28, 2002
    Houston
    10% of $49 is $5. You will pay tax on the service later no matter where you buy it. They were NOT charging you $60 tax on a $49 box....even in California. They were charging you tax on the cost of the box and service, both of which are taxable in most states.

    You saved about $5 to $8 buying out of state. Not $60
     
  17. jfalkingham

    jfalkingham Member

    213
    20
    Jul 23, 2002
    New Hampshire
  18. htroberts

    htroberts New Member

    27
    0
    Jul 7, 2003
    Durham, NC
    Well, with a new unit, you've got some baseline probability that there's something wrong with it. TQM, six-sigma, etc., say that for well-controlled manufacturing processes, that's something like three in a million.

    With the refurbished unit, someone either thought there was something wrong with it or just didn't like it. So, say there's a 85% chance that they didn't like it, you've still got a 15% chance that it started out defective, less whatever likelihood that the refurbisher caught the defect, say 99%.

    Overall, that works out to a .15% chance that it's defective in some way that's not immediately obvious. So the refurb has a 500 times greater chance of having a problem than a new box.

    Even with reasonable return policies and warranties, there's got to be significant savings for that risk to be worthwhile for me. Throw in the possibility of missing pieces, abuse, and hassle of resolving licensing/software/configuration artifacts from the original user, if those things apply to the particular item, and the equation is even more tilted.
     
  19. rainwater

    rainwater Active Member

    7,066
    5
    Sep 21, 2004
    I think you misunderstand what refurbished is. In fact, there is probably a higher probably that there is nothing wrong with a refurbished unit over a new one since it goes through more rigorous testing. They don't just put a used TiVo in a new box and ship it out. AFAIK, drives are replaced with tested drives and who knows what else in the internals are replaced.
     
  20. DocNo

    DocNo Member

    671
    21
    Oct 10, 2001
    Bristow, VA
    90 day vs. one year warranty made the refurbs more unappealing to me...
     

Share This Page

spam firewall

Advertisements