40GB TiVo HD (Using As Computer HD)

Discussion in 'TiVo Series 1 - UK' started by colindempster, Jan 14, 2006.

1. colindempster

colindempster New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    Livingston,...
    Hi,

Currently wondering how possible this idea would be. If I upgrade my TiVo drive I will have a spare 40GB drive (of some sort) and I was wondering if it was possible to put it in an external USB 2.0 case and use it as an additional (non-critical) drive with my iBook?

What type of drive is installed in the TiVos ie connection (IDE?) and size (physical) of drive (3.5"?)?

and would it be possible just to install the drive in the case, and format it for use with the computer - there aren't any oddities that would prevent this (not sure if any might exist).

Many thanks for any help,

Colin

2. pauljs

pauljs Member

Feb 11, 2001
    UK
    Considering the cost of new drives these days the best option is usually to retain the original HDD from your TiVo to use as a backup if something goes wrong.

TiVo's use standard IDE drives, they will work in a PC and some UK TiVo's have two drives originally installed

3. stevensdrs

stevensdrs Dave

Aug 10, 2005
    Scotland
    You also need to be aware that the original 40GB Tivo drive will need to be unlocked to be recognised in a pc as a 40gb drive. Its a Quantum Fireball LC15 and you will require the program QUNLOCK to make it useable.
    Probably better just keeping it as a spare for Tivo.

4. JNLister

JNLister New Member

May 21, 2002
    I'd definitely hang on to the original drive. Not only is it handy as a back-up in case your original drive fails (and at the least you can use it while getting a new one), but it's also useful for testing that a problem *is* down to the drive and not the machine itself.

5. colindempster

colindempster New Member

Feb 2, 2002
    Livingston,...
    Many thanks for the help provided.

I wondered if things might be slightly more complex then just plugging into a casing, which they are! I don't have a PC so it would not be possible for me to run the utility program mentioned without messing about with the inside of a friend's computer. I assume looking at some instructions on the web related to the program that it would need to be directly wired with the IDE cable into a PC and not on USB to run the program anyway.

I'll take the advice that you have given and retain the original HD. It makes sense to have a backup.

Regards,
    Colin