40 gigabits-per-second downloads

Discussion in 'TiVo Coffee House - TiVo Discussion' started by atmuscarella, Jul 18, 2007.

1. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
  2. fritolayguy

fritolayguy Science, bitches

Oct 31, 2002
    Liberty, MO.
    The line starts right behind me...... :p

3. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    "In less than 2 seconds, Lothberg can download a full-length movie on her home computer "

I don't think a hard drive can process data that fast :eek:

4. Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    Bleh. It's jus' a marketing stunt. Your pc can't even keep up with the data flow. It was discussed to death on slashdot a while back.

5. ZeoTiVo

ZeoTiVo I can't explain

Jan 2, 2004
    true, no costs to do this or how much infrastructure change would be needed is mentioned
    but I would be fine with my PC and hard drive being the bottleneck again instead of the internet

6. Bai Shen

Bai Shen Toboggan noggin

Dec 17, 2004
    Basically it's a guy using his mom(or was it grandma) to test a routing technique. She didn't even own a computer beforehand. Anyways, don't look for this anytime soon.

7. atmuscarella

atmuscarella Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2005
    Rochester NY
    Best I can tell they are not marketing anything. 10 gagbit ethernet exists so something must be able to handle that transfer rate, this is only :D claiming to be 4 times as fast as that, doesn't seem completely out of the realm possibility.

Thanks,

8. wolflord11

wolflord11 Lord of Darkness

Jan 16, 2007
    Madisonville...
    You can have all the Speed you want in an Internet Connection, but there comes a point where it means nothing.

You will always have bottlenecks. Be it Hard Drive, CPU, Memory etc.

A 40 GB per Sec Download Speed would be great, if only everything else would work that fast.