4 year-old Series 2 corrupted video, freezing

Discussion in 'TiVo Help Center' started by Papageno, Mar 5, 2007.

1. Mar 5, 2007 #1 of 12
    Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005

Advertisements

Hi folks, I've got an older (bought and activated in October 2002) Tivo 80 hr. Series 2 standalone, and I replaced the HD in it perhaps two years ago or so with one (160 GB) from Weaknees. At the time, the TiVo was beginning to make a lot of loud strange noises from the hard drive, but in terms of performance it actually seemed to be doing better then than it is now.

There are no unusual sounds from the HD this time-- instead we're getting a lot of (and increasing instances of) video corruption on playback (but hard to tell whether it was recorded that way or it's happening during the digital to analog conversion. Just have analog cable going in through the RF connector, and composite out to the TV. Also, the unit seems to freeze up completely at least every couple of weeks or so, where the only solution is to power it down (by pulling the plug) and reboot it.

So am I boned? I have lifetime service on this unit and would like to keep it going as long as possible. Could it be HD fragmentation (does the Tivo defragment in the background)? Would deleting everything and rebooting help in that case? Or are the analog-to-digital or vice-versa chips going bad? The lack of excessive or strange noises seems to rule out a hard drive problem. Whenever I check the temp, it always reports a normal one (37 C).

Any help would be appreciated. I don't suppose there's any way to buy a new 80-hr series 2 and transfer the lifetime service, is there? Thanks, Papageno aka Jose.

2. Mar 5, 2007 #2 of 12
    gastrof

gastrof Hubcaps r in fashion

Oct 31, 2003
    Potato and pen.
    How full is your hard drive?

At times, if there are a lot of recordings, the machine may have to sort of "look around" for spare spots on the hard drive to record the next part of a show. That can lead to video jam ups, pixelating, etc.

As for the chance of transfering the lifetime status to a newer machine, there's no harm in calling TiVo and asking.

If the first person you speak with won't allow it, ask to speak to their supervisor.

In the meantime, have you considered it may need another new hard drive?

Also, how's the operating temperature? Does it have enough ventilation? Internal fan running okay?

3. Mar 5, 2007 #3 of 12
    mhalver

mhalver New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Some of the pixilation might be just your video source. I have some problem with that and did a bit of experimentation to figure it out. It seemed to be exclusively on one TiVo (the two are divided up by channel) and I finally got worried enough that something might be wrong that I set up both TiVos and a DVD recorder to record the same things for a while - all three had the exact same pixilation problems at the exact same spot - meaning it must be the source.

If you can, doing the same may explain that at least.

4. Mar 5, 2007 #4 of 12
    Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. I wonder, does the TiVo defragment its hard drive somehow on the fly? Would using the "reset and delete everything" help, do you all think?

On another forum they thought it sounded like a heat problem-- I'm going to try taking the cover off and dusting its insides with canned air, also checking the cable connections.

As to the source being the issue, hmm. It's analog cable, and I've never noticed stuff like this before (say, when taping a different show on the VCR because it conflicts with something the TiVo is recording--I have the video signal split), but I haven't done the side-by-side comparison. It would be a good idea to rule it out, at least.

5. Mar 5, 2007 #5 of 12
    ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR

Advertisements

There is never any need to defrag a tivo drive. It is a *nix box with enormous block size.

It could be a temperature problem, but those usually only occur if you've been keeping your tivo enclosed in a hot A/V cabinet. You can check the internal temp on the System Info screen.

But the most common cause of this behavior is drive failure.

6. Mar 5, 2007 #6 of 12
    giorgiomk

giorgiomk New Member

Mar 5, 2007
    What should the internal temp range be?

7. Mar 5, 2007 #7 of 12
    ZikZak

ZikZak Neurostim Addict

Aug 12, 2002
    Arecibo, PR
    It differs, depending on model tivo, but the info screen should say "normal" or "exceeds normal."

8. Mar 5, 2007 #8 of 12
    mhalver

mhalver New Member

Nov 3, 2005
    Mine is also analog cable, but it still causes pixilation sometimes. The issue is how the source is provided. Many stations have digital recordings and digital equipment that can cause the issue. As I said, I have done the experiment on completely different devices - so it can happen (some stations around here are really bad in that sense).

9. Mar 5, 2007 #9 of 12
    Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005
    OK, here's another question--I see that at Weaknees they have replacement drives for my model that can get quite large. What I don't understand is this: I thought the addressable size of the drive was limited to 137 GB or something (at least when I bought the last replacement drive it was). Has that been changed through a software update or something?

10. WayneCarter

WayneCarter Active Member

Mar 16, 2003
    As technology makes it possible (and cost-effective) to make bigger drives, the software that controls the drives keeps supporting the larger drives. I assume that anyone selling a drive upgrade kit for a given box will warn you if the upgrade can't operate to its full size in said box.

11. lessd

lessd Well-Known Member

Jan 23, 2005
    CT
    Its not the hardware in the box but the software that determines record time, any drive from Weaknees will work as advertised, you don't have to have any concern as they know what they are doing. You can get you own boot software CD to expand your own drive for just the cost of the hard drive..see the upgrade section of this form for more info on that approach.

12. Papageno

Papageno Member

Jan 30, 2005
    Just to let everyone know that it was indeed the hard drive that was the issue-replacing it took care of the problem. In the last few days the thing would just black out entirely.