4 Lights Flashing on Bolt

Discussion in 'TiVo Bolt DVR/Streamer' started by JOSHSKORN, May 14, 2016.

1. May 14, 2016 #1 of 592
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015

Advertisements

Please Note: This thread is for the Bolt, not Bolt+. I am no longer using the Bolt, I have upgraded to the Bolt+. Considering the Bolt+ has a 3TB HDD, I personally think this is "enough" for me and won't be attempting to upgrade the drive. Bolt+ Users, feel free to report any such 4 Flashing Lights issues on this thread, if you choose to upgrade your drives. The software may be identical, anyways so any behaviors may be the same regardless if using the Bolt or Bolt+.

I upgraded my Bolt to 4TBs a few months ago. It was working fine until this week. TWICE, there were instances were all four lights were flashing. The first time, I just unplugged my Bolt for 20 minutes. This fixed the problem. It didn't work tonight.

I will say that I had Verizon FiOS Internet/TV/Phone. Starting in April, Verizon sold off their lines in a few states to Frontier. I'm one of those states (in California).

So here's the question. What exactly is the problem? Is it my TV provider going out? (which could be the case considering there had been several complaints about Frontier since the switch) Is there something wrong w/ my Bolt? (hard drive, firmware update)? I noticed that my Bolt had been running hot this week, but to be honest, I hadn't checked on heat prior to the problem.

EDIT 5/14/2016

• Make - STDR4000100
    • Drive type - Internal
    • Installation Method - Installed drive, run setup to 1st screen, unplugged it, plugged into PC, ran MFSR1003.zip, plugged back into TIVO and re-ran setup to finish, done.
    • Date of Hard Drive Upgrade 3/13/2016 - Was working flawlessly until 5/13/2016
    • Confirmed that my Frontier FiOS cable service is working just fine (still had DVR) and that the culprit is my TiVo Bolt.
    • Possible that the 20.6.1 Update caused a problem??

EDIT 5/15/2016
    • I E-mailed TiVo support on 5/14/2016. Heard back the next day. I explained that I have a TiVo Bolt 500 GB with 4 lights flashing and have owned it for a few months and that it worked fine up until the last few days when the update was pushed out.
    • I tried their suggestion: Unplug the CableCARD and everything else, except for the HDMI, then plug the Power cable back in. For me, this included the CableCARD, Power cable and Coax cable. This did nothing.
    • A friend of mine installed the 4TB HDD. It had worked fine since Mid-March. When I have a chance, I'll have him come over and swap the old one back in.
    EDIT 11/11/2016

If you decided to purchase the STDR4000100, check the firmware version before you do ANYTHING. I'm not sure how to do it. If you have firmware version 0004, do not even bother. It will not work. If your firmware version is 0001, it probably will work. Chances are, if you buy this drive NEW, it'll have the most updated firmware, 0004, unless there's a newer firmware revision.

Source: Starting with Post #366 - 4TB 2.5" drive for Bolt

There IS another solution, but it's not pretty. Search around the forum for those that've replaced the SATA cable, and either cut a hole in the back of the Bolt and mounted the port to it, or left the cover open and plugged the cable in. In either case, you have to purchase a WD Red HDD and put it inside a specific Rosewill external enclosure, so you can manage the temperature. You are limited to an 8TB HDD. The cable is probably $5 and the external enclosure is about $40, give or take. I will caution you in saying that I have not followed up with individuals that have tried this approach to see if their Bolts are still working or not. If you have the Seagate drive, do not even try to purchase this particular enclosure, along with a bay size converter. It won't fix your problems. I tried that and still got the same issues. Had I known about the link posted above beforehand, I wouldn't have bothered, but unfortunately this information came out much later.

EDIT 11/21/2016 (To Be Continued)
    Here are a list of known drives that will fail, that is, may or may work under certain conditions and may end up failing after an unspecific amount of time.

• Seagate - STDR4000100 - This drive may work if and only if the firmware on the drive is 0001. You must have purchased this drive early on for such condition to exist. If you have this drive, return it if you can and get something different or use it for a different application. Use Seagate Tools for Windows to determine which firmware version you have, if it's not listed on the device itself
    EDIT 11/22/2017 (To Be Continued)

Wow I haven't edited this OP in just over a year. I've had zero problems with my Bolt+. I highly recommend the upgrade, even though it may be costly, and there may not be a guarantee that TiVo would transfer the service over. I'm not sure how that works.

I plan on editing this post again very soon, so stay tuned. For now, I do not recommend trying to upgrade your Bolt's Hard Drive. Even the user who had reported no problems on both of their Bolts, finally started having an issue on one of their Bolts. They were using the aforementioned Seagate drive, Firmware 001. So, it doesn't sound like having Firmware 001 is a sure bet, but more along the lines of "YMMV".

I'm going to do some research on what users have reported, using the other solution for expanding the drive, which is replacing the exiting SATA cable with something that connects to an external HDD. That will be my next update. Considering that I haven't really looked into this in over a year, I haven't kept up. So, it'll take me some time to do the research, but I'll try and compile it sooner, than later.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    Dan Cour likes this.
  2. May 14, 2016 #2 of 592
    mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    I think you need to give everyone a little more information to be able to help you better.

1. Make of drive ?
    2. Internal or external ?
    3. Method of drive preparation ?

If it is internal there is a thread dedicated to just that ( http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=532579 )

My sister had me upgrade hers to an external and she has had no problems other than the DVRdaddy 3.5 Inch enclosure (my personal opinion poor quality and fit and finish Beware!) which arrived Doa.
    Here is the link to the external mod: ( http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=540001 )
    Good luck hope this helps. :)

3. May 14, 2016 #3 of 592
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    1. Make - STDR4000100
    2. Internal
    3. Installed drive, run setup to 1st screen, unplugged it, plugged into PC, ran MFSR1003.zip, plugged back into TIVO and re-ran setup to finish, done.

I looked at that other thread, I don't see anyone reporting that problem.

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  4. May 14, 2016 #4 of 592
    nyjklein

nyjklein J-E-T-S JetsJetsJets TCF Club

Aug 8, 2002
    North...
    Same setup. Same symptom. Seems to have started after the 20.6.1 update. Mine's been hanging with the four lights flashing about once a day since the update.

Jeff

5. May 14, 2016 #5 of 592
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015

Advertisements

Who is your cable provider? I'm thinking the problem MIGHT have to do with the update but I want to narrow it down. Again,I was on Verizon FiOS but now am on Frontier FiOS (since Verizon sold their lines in California (and other states) to Frontier).

Is there any way to rollback the update and prevent it from updating again?

EDIT: I still hadn't returned my DVR to Verizon (now Frontier) when I installed the TiVo Bolt/TiVo Minis. I unplugged one of my minis and re-installed the DVR. I can confirm that my cable service (Frontier FiOS) is working just fine, and that the culprit is indeed my TiVo Bolt. The question still remains: What's wrong with my TiVo Bolt? It seems to be all centered around the 20.6.1 update from this week, but why and how can it be resolved (if possible)?

Last edited: May 14, 2016
  6. May 15, 2016 #6 of 592
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I went ahead and contacted TiVo support regarding the problem. What I told them was that I have 4 lights flashing rapidly and it has been happening over almost the last week I think it happened Wednesday night, I power cycled it and it seemed to have worked fine after that, but on Friday night, it happened again and a power cycle did not work. This was all I mentioned. I did not mention the fact that I'd swapped out my TiVo hard drive for a larger one. I figured that if I would have, they wouldn't have helped me, since this (probably) voids my warranty.

Their response was to unplug everything except for the HDMI cable (even remove the CableCARD), then plug in only the power. Unfortunately, this did not work. Still, all 4 lights were flashing. They also claimed that my TiVo Bolt had been working "several days" before this started so they could not "assume" that the update was the cause of this. I was also told there is no way to rollback an update.

Has anyone tried plugging in the original hard drive to resolve the issue? I have not done this, yet.

7. May 15, 2016 #7 of 592
    foghorn2

foghorn2 Well-Known Member

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    [​IMG]

:D

8. May 15, 2016 #8 of 592
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Not funny. Spam. Reported.

9. May 16, 2016 #9 of 592
    foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    It's actually quite amusing. You upgraded the Bolt, broke the warranty and now you call Tivo for support.

Why haven't you put the original drive back in to see if it works before calling Tivo?

10. May 16, 2016 #10 of 592
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Did I say I "called" them? No, I said I "contacted" them. You do know there are different ways to contact someone, right? Unless you've been living in the 1800s.

No I haven't plugged in my old drive. I didn't do the upgrade, a friend of mine did. I haven't had a chance to have him come over and help me out with this.

11. May 16, 2016 #11 of 592
    foghorn2

May 4, 2004
    Las Vegas
    Your first post implies you did the upgrade, it even specifies what was done. Contacted, chatted whatever, same difference.

Hope the original drive fixes it. Tivo sells the DVR Expander which is the only drive they support if you need more space.

12. May 16, 2016 #12 of 592
    mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    I would be careful calling Tivo customer service with a issue like this after
    performing a hard drive upgrade, they can pull up their logs and tell you modded your unit and refuse future support.
    link: (http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb/showthread.php?t=539296&highlight=best+ota+tuners )

Yes I would try to reinstall the original drive and see if that helps it can't hurt

13. May 16, 2016 #13 of 592
    BobCamp1

BobCamp1 Well-Known Member

May 15, 2002
    It's very funny. It's the first thing I thought of too.

Seriously, have your friend come over and put the original drive back in. FYI he put a questionable drive type in there for the upgrade. I wouldn't be surprised if it's dead already. SMR-type drives are not really designed for DVRs. If it dies it could cause all five lights to flash like that.

14. May 16, 2016 #14 of 592
    gor88

gor88 Proud Cord Cutter

Jan 3, 2008
    near...
    I have the Bolt as well with the same problem.

I upgraded to a 3.5 form factor external, the Seagate Expansion STEB4000100. I am using the enclosure's sata power to power the drive externally and an 18" sata 3 cable hooked to the mainboard for the data. The left corner is off with a 9 in fan blowing across the hard drive and over the mainboard in an enclosed cabinet. I too installed the drive using the Ross Walker method and used MFSR to enable the fully capacity of the drive.

I completed the upgrade to the larger hard drive one week ago tonight (5/9/16 @ 9:20pm). About 1.5 hours later, I noticed the CC not working and when going into setup the screen locked and the Bolt tried to reboot, getting the four flashing lights. The next day, sometime between 1 and 5pm, the four blinking lights again. In both cases, I had to unplug and replug the drive's usb and ac adapter power before unplugging and replugging the Bolt. Once done, it restarted.

Thinking outside of the box, I turned off power saving completely and left it on 24/7. It went all the way until last night (5/15/16) sometime after 10:15pm but before 12:22am this morning when it was supposed to attempt the next network update. I did the HDD full replug followed by the Bolt replug at 5:30am this morning and it's been running since.

I haven't been able to notice a pattern on this, other than the unit may stay running longer if not put into Standby.

Last edited: May 16, 2016
  15. May 17, 2016 #15 of 592
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I have no idea what I did, but I somehow got my Bolt running again.

I was a bit impatient, was going to attempt putting in the old hard drive myself, got all the screws out and got chicken about trying to pull the last part off (I got the part that runs over part of the hard drive, off). I went ahead and put it back together. Rather than plugging it completely in, I re-installed my CableCARD, and plugged in my HDMI and Power. It booted up. It told me I had no internet, which was obvious considering I hadn't plugged in my coax and I run off MoCA. I plugged in my coax and it worked. I checked my firmware version and it looked like it upgraded to the newest version 20.6.1. It has so far been running for 6 hours and even recorded my shows that were scheduled. All in all, my TiVo was unplugged for about 2 1/2 days, with the exception of a couple of checks here and there (to see if the 4 lights were still flashing), which took about maybe 10-15 minutes each before I unplugged them.

Is it possible that the new update might have caused overheating issues? Prior to the update, I know my TiVo was running hot and loud, but this seemed normal anyways considering it had been widely reported. On what I consider to be a similar note, I had rooted my Android phone recently and installed different ROMs and kernels, one of which would cause overheating to my phone, but there was a simple fix for that, which was to clear cache. THAT SAID, do we need to do something similar, like clear cache (if that's even possible on a TiVo) and could it be done without losing recordings? Otherwise, is there a way to backup and restore recordings?

16. May 17, 2016 #16 of 592
    gor88

gor88 Proud Cord Cutter

Jan 3, 2008
    near...
    mark1958,

Thanks for your recommendation on the HDD enclosure and sata to esata port cable. I have decided that my problem might be related to the crap enclosure that my Seagate drive came in. I ordered the Rosewill Armer and the cable (although it's going to go out the open left side, might do the Exacto knife thing later on).

Given that it seems that 4 blinking lights seems to indicate a problem accessing the HDD, I am thinking something in the enclosure circuit board is periodically causing a power interruption significant enough to put the Bolt into a bad state.

Once done, the only difference between my Bolt and your sister's will be the HDD itself. Hopefully, this will fix the issue for good, fingers crossed. I should know in a few days once the enclosure and cable come in...

17. May 17, 2016 #17 of 592
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    I also realized that I'm connected to one less mini. I changed it out for the DVD that I hadn't returned yet. Not sure if adding this back into my network might add to the failure.

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk

18. May 17, 2016 #18 of 592
    mark1958

mark1958 Member

Feb 13, 2005
    Central,...
    Glad I could help gor88 hope it works out well for ya, primaryforce had the same issues and it was the enclosure dam Dvrdaddy avoid those like the plague!

19. May 18, 2016 #19 of 592
    aaronwt

aaronwt UHD Addict

Jan 31, 2002
    Northern...
    I've been using two of the 4TB Seagates in my Bolts since October. I've had zero problems with them.

20. May 18, 2016 #20 of 592
    JOSHSKORN

JOSHSKORN Active Member

Aug 27, 2015
    Do you have any minis on your network?

Sent from my SM-N920F using Tapatalk